Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Greater Wake County Wild Amethyst Goose Chase (Read 14662 times)
JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Greater Wake County Wild Amethyst Goose Chase
Aug 13th, 2015 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Since this is something we periodically, but over time, routinely, partake in
I thought I would start an ongoing thread for our repeated stoic sojourns east of Raleigh.
Not that amethyst isn't found in other parts of Wake County
it's just that there is a "belt" along the eastern edge of the county that is known to produce amethyst.
It all started a long, long time ago............ Roll Eyes
Many years ago, after the Rolesville Granite Pluton grew
and formed cracks and fissures in the older Raleigh Belt granite that filled
with the quartz crystals, sometimes amethyst, but before 2 mile long shopping centers, came farmers.
And when they started plowing up the soil along this "contact zone" in eastern Wake
they started turning up purple crystals. Places like Wilders' Grove.
I've even heard there was an old amethyst mine where the Foxcroft development is today.
Years ago, when I was only interested in arrowheads, I did some work for an old farmer
off Castleford Rd in that area and he brought out several shoeboxes of amethyst crystals
he had picked up out of his fields. A few in the 3-4 inch range.
Anyway, knowledge of amethyst in this "zone" is nothing new
and as Raleigh creeps that way there's a lot to take a look at.

DSCN3049.JPG ( 156 KB | 138 Downloads )
DSCN3049.JPG
DSCN3038.JPG ( 130 KB | 118 Downloads )
DSCN3038.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Greater Wake County Wild Amethyst Goose Chase
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Hence the ongoing commencement of the
Greater Wake County Wild Amethyst Goose Chase, hereafter known as the GWCWAGC. Smiley

Just like wild dogs hot on the trail of some deer we're out there kickin'dirt
and spending way more time than people with good sense could even imagine
hunting for just a hint, a flash or glimmer of something purple.

DSCN3044.JPG ( 246 KB | 141 Downloads )
DSCN3044.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
A few recent Sunday walks have found us wearing our purple-colored spectacles
and making the rounds of spots we have seen the alluring allusive amethyst alluvium
and any new spots that may have opened up near by.

I've always said, In eastern Wake you're looking for the Two A's. Amethyst and Arrowheads. Cool
Unfortunately, one of the hard lessons learned while on the "goose chase"
is that most of the time the amethyst looks much more interesting while still in the ground
partially covered with dirt than it does after you dig it out and clean it up.

WP_20150705_016.jpg ( 182 KB | 148 Downloads )
WP_20150705_016.jpg
WP_20150705_017.jpg ( 160 KB | 133 Downloads )
WP_20150705_017.jpg
WP_20150705_020.jpg ( 183 KB | 156 Downloads )
WP_20150705_020.jpg
WP_20150705_003.jpg ( 178 KB | 142 Downloads )
WP_20150705_003.jpg
WP_20150705_005.jpg ( 206 KB | 143 Downloads )
WP_20150705_005.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
All we participants in the GWCWAGC are very aware of this condition of the hunt,
but we've seen the signs and persevere undeterred.
And besides, it's usually an interesting walk.

WP_20150705_007.jpg ( 114 KB | 151 Downloads )
WP_20150705_007.jpg
WP_20150705_011.jpg ( 143 KB | 133 Downloads )
WP_20150705_011.jpg
DSCN4385.JPG ( 168 KB | 138 Downloads )
DSCN4385.JPG
DSCN4376.JPG ( 189 KB | 108 Downloads )
DSCN4376.JPG
DSCN4389.JPG ( 258 KB | 143 Downloads )
DSCN4389.JPG
DSCN4075.JPG ( 229 KB | 120 Downloads )
DSCN4075.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
So while I'm off getting side-tracked on pics of weeds and birds and lichen it,
it looks like the guys have found something interesting on the far edge of a catchbasin.
They could've waited Grin, but let's go see what they're looking at.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2015 at 11:06am by Scott LaBorde »  

DSCN4371.JPG ( 156 KB | 136 Downloads )
DSCN4371.JPG
DSCN4366.JPG ( 186 KB | 144 Downloads )
DSCN4366.JPG
DSCN4361.JPG ( 215 KB | 149 Downloads )
DSCN4361.JPG
DSCN4362.JPG ( 213 KB | 137 Downloads )
DSCN4362.JPG
DSCN4364.JPG ( 198 KB | 129 Downloads )
DSCN4364.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG ( 213 KB | 161 Downloads )
IMG_1369.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
It sure is pretty exciting looking when you see it sticking out of the dirt at you,
but, as usual, that's about as exciting as it gets. Wink
But we know it's out there. We've seen the signs.
And one of these days...........

DSCN4399.JPG ( 253 KB | 179 Downloads )
DSCN4399.JPG

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Joe,

This is an excellent report. I seldom get an opportunity to prospect in Wake County but you do such a good job of telling the story and posting pictures that its always interesting to read your post. I wish that I lived closer to Wake, its geology is as interesting as any in county in the state and the potential, well you know as good as anyone.....unlimited. From reading allot of stories that you and other Wake County prospectors post, it appears that the numerous construction sites are a primary source for mineral discoveries. Of coarse you have some great quarries in Wake also but they aren't easy to get into I'd imagine. Wake County being well within the western side of the "Fall-Line" interest me greatly. That same fall-line mineralization runs southwest through my county. I posted some of the Richmond County finds that I've made over the years here a long time back. The problem here though is the very limited amount of construction in the "mineral zone areas" of the county. Much of the land with mineral deposits is on private undeveloped land that is either often inaccessible or off-limits due to hunt clubs or unwilling land owners. There is a spot east of Ellerbe that I hold out hope will one day get a road through it or something because of several large gem smokies some filled with schrol tourmaline were found in a small area on two farms back in the day. Sort of like the amethyst that you are referring to from east Wake County. I've read old literature about amethyst being found on farms over there. I assume much of that also is still rural but Raleigh is so big and growing that it is slowly being developed and exposing its goodies once again. Not the case in my area. Allot of the farms are no longer farms, they are pine forest owned by hunting clubs. A corundum locality that I once found here and was on the trail of a vein but never found is now posted and overgrown so thick that Indiana Jones himself could get lost in there, lol. Anyway.....Joe, enjoyed reading the article I hope you guys hit the amethyst mother load. Cheers.....Rockytop.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Good report Joe, as the founding member of the Greater Wake County Wild EMERALD Goose Chase, hereafter known as the GWCWEGC, I welcome the formation of the Greater Wake County Wild Amethyst Goose Chase, hereafter known as the GWCWAGC and hope the GWCWAGC and GWCWEGC members can successfully achieve their mission and FIND THOSE GEMS!

livin' the life AND lovin' it, Smiley
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Funny stuff, Robert, for sure. But you don't need to limit your goose chase to emeralds, unless you want to. It could be all Wake County "beryl" on the hunt! Wink

Thanks Rockytop. That's what these fieldtrip reports are for. Give folks a look around. Smiley
I think you get the picture and, because you live in a "fall line" county, probably understand it better than most.
We've talked before about how there's no telling what might be just a few feet below surface in these counties.
And definitely, the development going on around Raleigh is why there's no shortage of places to look in Wake.
Don't worry, tho, Charlotte will be spreading across Richmond County soon enough. Wink

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
You're right, Joe, as usual.

We just finished an emergency meeting of the GWCWEGC and by a unanimous decision voted to switch from mere EMERALD to any and all BERYL.

Long live the Greater Wake County Wild BERYL Goose Chase, hereafter known as the GWCWBGC

We're not picky, we'll be happy finding any flavor of beryl. Cheesy

r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I'll second that, Robert!
The GWCWBGC is a very noble and worthwhile pursuit.
A much higher degree of difficulty than the GWCWAGC, but that could make the reward that much greater.
Good luck and keep us posted. Smiley

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Excellent report Joe!  Thanks for sharing.  That camera takes great pictures

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Collin. Nikon Cool Pix.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Joe,

If you ever make it down to Rockingham, get up with me and we'll go out to some of the better spots and do some exploring. In fact, anyone who wants to look around down here give me a shout. I feel that it will take increased efforts to finally bring some of these Richmond County minerals to light and I don't think that there are many others outside of myself looking this county currently. I was over at the smoky quartz locality last year and found veins of massive smoky and I know that there were once excellent crystals found there so more looking should turn up something. That area is bad for snakes so I usually go in the winter. Then there is the corundum locality which also needs to be a winter or late fall trip. There is suppose to be a garnet spot a few hundred yards from there that I was shown some small but very well formed and red garnets in a biotite schist. My friend is usually open almost any time to looking on his land for epidote and some schrol was found there as well and just down the road about 1/2 mile away there is another good schrol locality that needs more exploring. The limonite pseudo after pyrite locailty was producing good as of early this year. I went over there and picked up almost a 5 gallon bucket of crystals one evening, some to 3" on edge and some with twinning and clusters in matrix and a few examples with unaltered pyrite. That area also has produced small but very clear quartz crystals as well down the hill near the road. So anyone up to digging and giving the area a chance, get with me and if I have a weekend that I don't have to work, I'd enjoy getting out a bit myself. I would love to see somebody turn up something really good here. There is a fellow living in Monroe that grew up near Ellerbe. When he was around 12 years old, he and his father were squirrel hunting over near Millstone, just east of Ellerbe and the boy literally stumbled over an 8" schrol included smoky crystal that had been dug up and was in a dirt pile that had been pushed down the hill along the creek bank. The landowner was digging a small pond for his cows and dug out the hole, pushed the dirt over and this is how it was recovered. I saw it many years ago and it was as good of quality as anything I'd ever seen from anywhere. In the years since, I located two other localities outside of that one that smoky quartz occurs on in the same vein but as typical of Richmond County, its all very thickly wooded or private farms, etc. and one has to be careful. Over at the Millstone 4-H camp (you can go on-line and find this place), there are veins of gemmy smoky quartz running between where the cabins were built. Some of it would facet but this is a state backed (I believe) facility and they won't allow digging. Like Joe was saying the area is on the Fall-line so the upper part were the offices, kitchen, recreation building is is sandy but a short walk towards the creek reveals red clay and massive boulders of granite with small beautiful waterfalls and a lake. It is adjacent to this stream where you can observe smoky quartz, some with blades of hematite. So if the mineralization can change that quick, you can imagine what might be just a few feet under ground or a few miles further west of the line. Anyway....I feel that if anyone is up to a new discovery, the potential is here.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I agree with you completely, rockytop. Richmond County sounds like untapped till. Wink
And you make it sound so good! Count me in.
Are we going to need scuba gear to get in that farmers pond
with the tourmaline in quartz? Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint