Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 8/15/2015 - Sunset Lake area in Holly Springs, NC. (Read 2225 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

8/15/2015 - Sunset Lake area in Holly Springs, NC.
Aug 21st, 2015 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Saturday, August 15, 2015.

Thanks to a tip from Bob Bendelow at the Tarheel Gem & Mineral Club I took a trip to Holly Springs where some development was taking place at Sunset Lake.  We have known there to be some very nice crystals found along Holly Springs Rd. although much further north and inside Raleigh.  Knowing how quickly some developments can progress so I wanted to get out there before it was too late.

There was a lot of healthy looking quartz there, but unfortunately much of it being rounded and alluvial (weathered from water).  I was surprised, however, to find several pieces of quartz that had faces on them.  And with all the bleached white soil around I figured at least artifacts will be easy to spot.  Unfortunately, not a single flake to be found.  No single crystals or anything worth taking home either.   Embarrassed  Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed the walk.  Once I got around to the very back of the development there was a parked truck with its engine idling with tinted windows so dark I couldn't see anything inside.  It was obviously not part of any construction crew.  It was at that point I decided to go ahead and head out and back to the car rather than interrupt or interfere with whatever the agenda of said creepy truck.

Here's a few pictures of the development site along with a vug of crystals I manage to find in some quartz there.

IMG_1389.JPG ( 328 KB | 82 Downloads )
IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG ( 296 KB | 78 Downloads )
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1397.JPG ( 295 KB | 79 Downloads )
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG ( 136 KB | 79 Downloads )
IMG_1396.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1