Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Introduction and Cutting Copper Firebricks (Read 1501 times)
Copper Queen
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Introduction and Cutting Copper Firebricks
Feb 1st, 2016 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Hi everybody, my name is Kristi. I live in central Texas half the year, then go out west to a tiny town in the mountains for the summer/fall. I enjoy spending time outdoors, and usually carry a few rocks home, most would consider that nuts, but I bet you folks understand Smiley. I took some lapidary classes eons ago, but never stuck with it.

What brings me here today is that I found a bunch of copper infused bricks last year, I've drug about 500 lbs of it home so far lol, and I'm trying to figure out how to cut it. I cut metals all the time, but I have not figured out how to cut this stuff. Abrasive chop saw quickly gets loaded with copper, and a few nights ago I put a piece in the bandsaw, it cut about 1/4" into then quit cutting. Figured before I spent big bucks on a carbide tipped saw blade I'd ask here.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Introduction and Cutting Copper Firebricks
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Welcome to RHL Copper Queen.  It will be nice to see some Texas rocks you've been collecting.  As far as copper goes I'm not experienced myself with cutting it. There are people here that either own or have access to rock saws and hopefully they will chime in to give you advice. Were these infused bricks used for construction, are they man-made? I hadn't heard of them before. I do know that if you are grinding or polishing copper in a lapidary machine (cabbing machine) then you should be wearing a face mask as I know that copper is toxic so you don't want to inhale the dust.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Coper Queen,
A long time ago I had a summer job as a potters' apprentice, and we had to cut bricks to build a kiln---tho the kiln bricks are probably softer than what you've got. We had to cut a lot of bricks, and it was hard work, but you can do it. We used a cold chisel and a brick set and a regular brick hammer. You'll want place the brick on the soft ground or on a bed of sand to decrease the force of impact and risk shattering the brick unevenly.

The trick is to score where you want to cut by tapping with the cold chisel at an angle (not straight 90 degree angle, but angled so that you make a 'V' shaped groove). Alternate the angle of the chisel from side to side until you’ve made a 1/16 in. cut all the way around the brick. Then, hold the brick set upright in the middle of your score line. Give it a solid blow with the brick hammer (still on the ground or sand bed), which should split the brick right at the score. You can also use the chisel-end of the brick hammer to get rid of any excess material.

Let me know if that works! Gosh, it's been a long, long time!

IP Logged

Copper Queen
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I guess I should have been a bit more clear, the copper bricks were firebricks used in a copper smelter. I'm guessing these were at the bottom of the smelter and after 50+ years of usage the molten copper has completely saturated the bricks. In many cases multiple bricks are fused together and these pieces are incredibly heavy, it took myself and another person to lift them into the truck. There are non-infused bricks there too, they are very light like pumice.

Googling "copper firebricks" led me to several ads by lapidary artists that are working with this type of material from smelters in Michigan. In short it is industrial waste that when cut and polished is very attractive.

Making jewelry out of it is probably not realistic for me, last thing I need is another hobby. Finding some use like paper weights or bookends with several polished sides and several natural sides they would make great gifts for donating benefactors (assuming I ever find any) for a historic restoration in the town where the smelter was located.

I've picked up what is easy to get to, but there is lots more on a very steep slope, and they are BIG pieces. My best idea for getting the big pieces is to rappel down to them with a drill, drill a hole and screw an eyebolt into it, hook a cable to it and winch it out. I'm also trying to find someone with an XRF gun to shoot it and see what the exact metal content is. The copper ore body there is noted as having a high gold concentration too, so if its got gold I'll be selling it all to a refiner and using the proceeds to restore the building, but I doubt I'm that lucky Grin

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you really are the Copper Queen!
I hope you can stick "Gold" in there somewhere too. Smiley

It also  sounds like what you've got would make some great jewelry material.
I've never cut anything like that, but I would think a regular ol'wet rock saw with a diamond blade would be the best way.
Or else I would invest in the carbide.
But someone might have a better idea.
Best of luck with it. Would love to see some pics of some slabs.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Welcome! That sounds like a fascinating collecting trip.
Wow. I would love to see those bricks. I love copper.
I can think of a million things I would like to see made out of them: small shallow bowls for rings by the sink, all kinds of art (cut them into squares or rectangles for all kinds of applications), spheres, coasters ( just cut thin slices and don't polish)...that just came up in 30 seconds.
Oh! a door stop, as is...gorgeous. super beautiful boot scraper for outside your door  Grin
Could you incorporate into furniture? legs on a small table
They would make one super beautiful fire ring. Or cut like tile and on a fireplace would be amazing.
Keep us posted on your story and what happens to the bricks, please. It is so inspiring.
Also, wouldn't a big strap and a come-along be better than a drill and bolt and winch?

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I looked up the copper fire brick. That is really beautiful material and it already has a market, so that is great news.
You could slice and sell for others to purchase and create.
I was thinking a soap dish would be really nice in that material.

IP Logged

sandrose

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
When cutting aluminum plate, that also loads a cutting wheel or saw blade, using a synthetic wax toilet bowl ring eliminates this problem. I've never cut copper ,but, It may be worth a go.
good luck
scott  from  tennessee

IP Logged

Copper Queen
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Sorry folks, got busy with work. I'll try to add a few pics. Did my best to show the copper face exposed by the angle grinder, kind of surprised it tarnished up so quick in just a weeks time, and super bright sunlight did not help as I could not see anything on camera LCD screen. Second pic top left edge is where I tried cutting it with the bandsaw, big commercial bandsaw that we cut I-beams with and it barely did anything.

cufb_1.JPG ( 1524 KB | 107 Downloads )
cufb_1.JPG
cufb_2.JPG ( 1666 KB | 110 Downloads )
cufb_2.JPG
cufb_3.JPG ( 1496 KB | 100 Downloads )
cufb_3.JPG

IP Logged

Copper Queen
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah, that piece is approx half of a brick, tossed it on scale and its 16 Lbs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint