Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hello from Hollister, CA! (Read 1086 times)
Wailele

RockHoundLounger

Hello from Hollister, CA!
Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Hi everybody. Very pleased to be accepted into the group. I was born and raised in Hawaii and joined the Marines back in 2001 and have been living in California since I got discharged back in 2005. I recently purchased a home out here in Hollister about a year ago and have been slowly exploring the areas around me. I've always had a fascination for minerals but just recently started to collect them. I hope to learn a lot from you guys and hope to one day find an awesome specimen like some of you have already found.

IP Logged

RobertJ.
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Hello from Hollister, CA!
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Greetings from up north, Seaside OR!

I haven't figured out how many West Coasties we have here yet!

IP Logged

Wailele

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Hello Robert. Do you know any good areas around Portland? I'll be up there in June for a friends wedding and I was wondering if theres any areas near Portland worth checking out?

IP Logged

RobertJ.
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Wailele wrote on Mar 20th, 2016 at 3:23pm:
Hello Robert. Do you know any good areas around Portland? I'll be up there in June for a friends wedding and I was wondering if theres any areas near Portland worth checking out?

Yes, I do. In fact, just yesterday I went to the Nehalem River about 6 miles south the town of Vernonia, on Timber Road. I found 2 pieces of carnelian, one the size of a quarter, and the other about as big as a silver dollar. I haven't taken any photos just yet. They weren't huge, but it let me know I was in the right area. It's west of Portland, probably not quite an hour away. Google "Nehalem river carnelian", you'll find all kinds of info about it.

We also have Beverly Beach, about 2 hours SW of Portland. Google "Beverly beach fossils". I went there for the first time last year, and was amazed at the fossils that were there.

In Clatskanie, about an hour NW of Portland, I found some big pieces of quartz river rock, but it was at an old quarry on private land. I got told by a friend of the owner that I'd better get permission to dig around, so I haven't been back there yet. The owner's name is Ed Bergman, I'm just waiting til I'm back in that area to call him.

There are other places to check out, but I'm pretty new to this, so I can't tell you too much more. If I think of something else, I'll let you know. RJ

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2016 at 1:47am by RobertJ. »  

IP Logged

Wailele

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Thanks a bunch, RJ. I will definitely check out some information on those areas. Hopefully I can find time after my friends wedding and drag my wife along with me to look at some of those places and hopefully I can find a pretty nice lookin carnelian before I head back home.  I hope its nice out there in June. Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint