Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How many of you rockhounds are into geology? (Read 1190 times)
zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

How many of you rockhounds are into geology?
Nov 3rd, 2016 at 10:15pm
Print Post  

I'm curious about how many rockhounds have geology knowledge....it seems SOME geology knowledge is important for this hobby...I mean, obsession  Wink . I'm wondering if people found themselves interested in minerals and then got hooked on geology and were like Yay this is so cool  Cheesy . Or they're hooked on the minerals and want to find more and then go, UGH I have to study GEOLOGY , so tedious, I just wanna dig Angry ....
The two are obviously linked and I'm curious how it feels to be met with this wall of.... how it all works. Is it burdensome, is it a 'challenge accepted!' feeling, or is it just getting the bare bones on geology to find what you wanna get your hands on?

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: How many of you rockhounds are into geology?
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
We have the choice of taking the blue pill and just blindly dig or the red pill to learn how deep the rabbit hole goes. In this case the red pill is geology. To begin to understand the millions perhaps billions of years of geological processes that forge these treasures deep within the earth and how other geologic process eventually bring them to the surface is not only fascinating but crucial to becoming a better rockhound. By learning some geology you're able to better predict where certain minerals will be present by either looking at the visible terrain or using geologic maps. Another cool side effect of geology knowledge is that the amount of respect and admiration one has for minerals becomes incredibly elevated. To know that a piece of corundum was created via tectonic processes deep in the earth through crystallization of slowly cooling magma or metamorphism and finally brought to the surface by a mountain building event pushing deep layers of earth miles into the sky -- to know this history makes that little necklace or earring so much more because it is so much more.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Red pill. I took Geology 101 in college and enjoyed it.  Should have taken more. I like to understand as much context as I can, not that I'm an expert by any means.

IP Logged

Dmcmahan
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I find the geology is much like a pirate map it gives you a good idea while you search for the treasure but... can you really trust who wrote the map they were trying to hide the treasure from everyone but themselves.  Geology seems to have a lot of best guess work to it...
Thats my take at least I like to know the why and how sometimes i read it before the rock hunting sometimes after trying to figure out what this other mineral we found is

IP Logged

RBDavis01
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Geology - what I've learned is that unlike wood working where the general rule is "measure twice and cut once", the geology rule should be "measure 1000 times in a lot of different ways and then cut once", and if you can accomplish that in a restricted geologic location, it will definitely lay you out a road map up-down-sideways with some predictable results and some unpredictable of what you dig up. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2017 at 1:44pm by RBDavis01 »  

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Dmcmahan -- Agree on mapmakers hiding the treasure.  Example: The Virginia Department of Mines,  Minerals and Energy had great on-line interactive maps that easily pinpointed abandoned mine locations etc.  Then they "upgraded" the maps so that you can't zoom in as much, and it seems the mapped points are not complete.  Of course, the original version was only as accurate as the geologist's field notes, and I have heard from people with local knowledge of one site or another that the field notes at times are misleading.

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I think a certain amount of geology study is required to be a successful prospector. I personally study about geology related to the gems and or rocks most likely to be found on my property Treasure Valley and the associated minerals associated with them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint