Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do I clean river-stained petrified wood? (Read 4186 times)
BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

How do I clean river-stained petrified wood?
Nov 30th, 2016 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I have found some petrified wood in the Neuse River that is stained an orange color.  Does anyone know any techniques for cleaning?  I have thought about bleach, lemon juice or peroxide, but would like to know some proven techniques before I try anything.  Thanks.

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: How do I clean river-stained petrified wood?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I personally always use muriatic acid to clean rocks (except for calcite of course), including river rocks, and then give them a good soak in baking soda water for a full day to extract the yellow. It's really toxic stuff though -  you need to be REALLY careful with it (especially when it's pure), to not breathe it or get it on your skin. That as far as I am concerned that is the best stuff I've used. Iron Out hasn't worked well for me... Maybe oxalic acid would work also though, I hear it does but you have to heat the water slightly from what I've read. If you don't want want to go that hardcore, try vinegar. But you know petrified wood is pretty hard so I am not too sure about how much cleaning it will do.

If you go with muriatic acid (which I swear by esp for rusty orange stains), make sure to again be really careful and don't let the water get near any metal because it will destroy it, and also don't pour the acid down the drain - deposit it, diluted, outside, far from any kind of running water or plant life or whatever.
I'll wait for others to chime in.
Do you have a pic of the petrified wood ???  Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:15am
Print Post  
If you want to try something far less toxic and dangerous I would suggest Super Iron Out.  You can buy it at almost any hardware store.  It's a white powder.  Dissolve around 1 cup of powder per gallon of water and then soak your rocks for a couple days.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Thank you for the advice.  My boys and I have found some cool pieces along the Neuse River in Goldsboro.  These pieces were mainly found on 2 separate hunting trips.  The black piece has pyrite crystals on it.  I just noted this morning that the black is starting to deteriorate.  I suppose it is not 100% petrified, but the crystals are beautiful.

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Cheesy Awesome!
Yeah, Iron Out is far less toxic and it is safe. I just have muriatic lying around due to boyfriend's job of cleaning off statues and monuments here and it happens to work well and we keep it outside... but it's really toxic  Undecided

Looking forward to seeing how everything cleans up!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Good luck with the cleaning, BP.
The black wood is actually called "Lignite".
Here's a link so you can read more about it,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignite

IP Logged

BP
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Ok, I will remember that.  I looked hard for amber today but could not seem to find any.  I will try again another day.  I found one unusually clear piece about the size of a nickel, I wonder if it could be amber.  It is more than likely quartz I suppose.  I would guess that amber is yellow to dark in color after looking at pics online.  I would love to find some though.

JoeM wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 4:56pm:
Good luck with the cleaning, BP.
The black wood is actually called "Lignite".
Here's a link so you can read more about it,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignite

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint