Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 'Streaked' Rose River quartz (Read 1113 times)
zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

'Streaked' Rose River quartz
Dec 1st, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
As a disclaimer, this isn't the raw specimen (probably obvious) : I got it home and put it on the lap machine right away to create a 'window' to get a better look at what these streaks are in there. Does anyone have an idea what the green and brown streaks inside this quartz are? Is it epidote or am I really off? I've been fascinated with this little piece of quartz for the past few months since I've had it  Smiley

streak3.JPG ( 1448 KB | 137 Downloads )
streak3.JPG
streak6.JPG ( 929 KB | 136 Downloads )
streak6.JPG
streak8.JPG ( 745 KB | 130 Downloads )
streak8.JPG
streak5.JPG ( 790 KB | 122 Downloads )
streak5.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: 'Streaked' Rose River quartz
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
A fascinating little piece to be sure. Good eye.
The streaks could be epidote, but you'd have to get a look at them with ultra magnification to make a good guess.
Could be iron minerals like chlorite, actinolite, and goethite.

Here's an old post to compare inclusions. The colors are pretty close to yours.
http://rockhoundlounge.com/cgi-bin/yabb252/YaBB.pl?num=1304002149

IP Logged

zadzi
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: 'Streaked' Rose River quartz
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I can't believe ultra magnification isn't something that even crossed my mind... I do need to do that and find out. Thanks for putting out  more possibilities of what those could be, Joe.
I will definitely get a better look and hopefully figure it out.
Ultimately, I'm probably going to flatten the back and make it into a cabochon sometime this winter once I've finished my move.

When I found the piece, it was partially buried in the dirt away from the water, and caught my eye when I saw that little green in there. I've been to the same location a couple of times since then but haven't seen anything like it, but I will remain diligent and hope I can find something similar....maybe bigger (one can dream  Roll Eyes )

EDIT: I just looked at the link you posted.... wow, yes, very close indeed (and gorgeous) . The green sure looks like the same crystal inclusions. My camera sucks. I need to get a better look in that quartz.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint