Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hello from Preble County Ohio (Read 3906 times)
MrsBrooks
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Hello from Preble County Ohio
Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:16am
Print Post  
My name is Vanessa I grew up in Miamisburg Ohio and once marred moved to Preble County area of Ohio. As a kid I loved to look for rocks in my creek, I even found a HUGE Geode but had no clue what it was until about 8 years ago lol. I now have two girls 9 and 12 who LOVE looking for fossils, and pretty rocks, and both are in 4-H. This year they both chose Rocks, Fossils, and Minerals to do as a project. I have just in the past two weeks  found out Ohio has Diamonds, Gold, and all kinds of minerals, I know slow learner here lol. Both my girls want to go geode hunting so bad but I have no clue where the best place to go within 2 1/2 hours of me lol. I have been researching and found some places in Indiana I think I am going to try to plan a two day trip to, I know everyone keeps saying Flint ridge, but all the pictures I have everyone is using pick axes and stuff and I wouldn't even know where to begin haa haa. My daughters and I LOVE finding anything pretty of coarse and they want to find minerals so bad, but not sure we will find any so might order some off Amazon in a kit lol. Every year we go to Huston Woods, Waterfall in Richmond IN, and a few other cool places I have found within 30 min. from home. This year I plan on taking them to Cincinnati area to a fossil area I had no clue was there until last week lol, and I plan of taking them to a spot where they will find Geodes , just not sure where yet lol . Financial problems keep me from traveling all over to look for pretty rocks, and such so if anyone knows any awesome areas within a max of 2 1/2 hours from Preble County area please feel free to share. Thank you for having me here, I am excited to look around! I collect Sea Shells and rocks, and my girls collect rocks, fossils, and they love plants! My oldest has a small Cacti garden and my youngest daughter has a pretty cool fossil collection .  Grin
P.S.
My oldest Wants a Amethyst so bad because her birthday is in February. I have seen GA has some, but not sure where else you can find them. I would love to know area's they are found in I might have family near one of the places that I can get to find her one lol. My youngest Birthday is September so I know there is no way of finding her a sapphire lol haa haa.... but she LOVES blue!!! Are there any rocks, minerals BLUE in Ohio? Thank you again  Wink Cool

20170327_124101.jpg ( 4521 KB | 105 Downloads )
20170327_124101.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Hello from Preble County Ohio
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Very cool, Vanessa! You have quite a team! No rock or fossil in Ohio is safe now! Smiley
As you continue your research I think you will find no shortage of information on the internet, but we're glad you found this board and we are glad to help however we can.
Ohio is a great place to begin the study of fossils. Of course there are the fossil beds and museum in Louisville on the Ohio River that might be a good day trip.
Now sapphires are a real good choice for a "fave" rock or gemstone, but yes, they are a little hard to find. Wink The Presley(sp?) Mine here in the mountains of NC used to be a good spot for them but I'm not sure if it's open or active anymore. One very pretty blue rock from Ohio that you could look for is Celestite or Celestine. Look that one up.
The Flint Ridge Flint is wonderfully pretty material and, I believe, Ohio's state rock. So if you want to be good Buckeye's you may need to exercise a little due diligence. Wink

It doesn't look like I need to tell you all this but, Have Fun! Smiley
Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Welcome to the RHL Vanessa. 

As I've mentioned many times before, it's my belief that mineral clubs are one of the quickest ways to dive deep into the mineral world and answer all the questions you have. The "locals" will know much better than anyone where to go and what to find in your area. A quick online search and I found several clubs you could check out:

http://www.columbusrockandmineralsociety.org/

Here's a page that lists several clubs in Ohio:

http://www.amfed.org/mwf/states/Ohio/Ohio.html

Good luck on your pursuit.  Can't wait to start seeing you and your daughters finds posted here.   Cheesy

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
You must go to Flint Ridge and you don't need heavy artillery at the Nethers Farm fee site.  Collectible flint is literally at your feet in abundant quantity, with several pits where you can chip away at the walls, and several mounds of loose flint.  When my wife and I went, I only used a chisel and small hammer to get some of the gray striped variety out of the wall of a pit.  It's east of Columbus so it's 3 or 4 hours drive for you.  The address is 3680 Flint Ridge Road, Hopewell, OH.  This is the eastern end of Flint Ridge Road, which has some odd disconnects, and the map programs won't locate the address accurately.  It's best to map search for Hidden Springs Road, follow it westward to its T intersection with Flint Ridge Road, and turn north.  I'll post some pictures.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
First photo shows the Nethers Farm on east side of the road. Flint pits are directly across the road. Zoom in and you can see them. The second photo shows Hidden Springs Road as it T intersects Flint Ridge Road south of the Nethers site.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Here’s the farmhouse.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Here my wife Rebecca chats with Mrs. Nethers. Bring cash because if no one is home, you can collect anyway, weigh your rocks and pay a very reasonable per-pound price. Instructions are right there.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Site photos

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
After scrubbing with soap and water.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
We collected the colorful flint and flint with pockets or coatings of quartz crystal. The flint knappers prefer the more plain flint that is more solid.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Bring gloves because the flint is sharp.  Bring food and water because it's far from the nearest town.

To clarify my mapping narrative, you don't need to actually travel on Hidden Springs Road; it's just for reference.

If you go,  take pictures for the RockHoundLounge!

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
You probably know about Ceasars Creek Lake near Xenia.  It's known for trilobite fossils.  Years ago when I lived in Dayton you just walked out onto the spillway area.  I think now it may be a bit more formal and you check in with the state park.

Adams County is thought to be the site of a meteor impact, with remnant land features still partially showing a ring detectable from satellite imaging.  It's thought that the impact zones are responsible for the presence of many minerals not generally found in the rest of Ohio, such as gold.  However, the exotic minerals are generally microscopic from what I read.  I never prospected there even though we took the kids to see Serpent Mound a number of times.  Serpent Mound on an uplift area on the southwest corner of the impact rim remnant; probably not an accident that the natives sited it there.

IP Logged

MrsBrooks
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Thank you for all the fantastic information! My 9 and 12 year old have been begging to go GEODE hunting *sigh* , something I have never done lol. I found one about the size of half a soccer ball in my back yard creek in Miamisburg OH. but I was around 10-12 when I found it and JUST found out within the past 6 years what it was! I even went back to my childhood home and asked them if they found my rock( geode) because my mom put it in her flowerbed and well the answer i got was No Sad . With my husband the only one working finances are VERY tight so trying to find a road trip for my daughters that they can find GEODES, and maybe other goodies. I have been researching Indiana trying to find a good place. So far I have found areas that are supposedly loaded with geodes but need to find where we can go  that will not break my piggy bank lol. I would love to know if anyone who has gone GEODE hunting in IN where is best to go ?? Flint Ridge in on out wish list, just not sure we will make it there.

IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Hello and welcome!  I have an 11-yr-old very enthusiastic rockhound, and a 14 yr old very unenthusiastic non-rockhound.  Flint Ridge is definitely on my list of things to do someday if I can find the time and happen to be passing through the general vicinity.  It's a very long list!  If you should ever get over to the Keokuk IA area, there are a couple of great geode places across the river in Hamilton, IL.  Nice spherical crystal lined geodes, and great places for kids too. 
And wow, Tim4d,  great info and pics from flint ridge!   Smiley

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I love the expressions those girls had! Welcome!
I don't know how far you are from Kentucky, but there are loads of geodes there...probably starting around the Lexington area.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint