Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Will this work for mineral/rock pics? (Read 3207 times)
daves64

Rockaholic

Will this work for mineral/rock pics?
Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
I'm hoping this will be a decent camera for taking pics of my various oddball rocks. Hopefully I'll just need to work on lighting. It arrives tomorrow (7-12-18)
*edit* Oh yeah, I also got a BelOMO 10x Triplet Loupe for peeking at tiny stuff.
Nikon D3400 Digital SLR Camera
- The Nikon D3400 Digital SLR Camera has a 24.2MP sensor that captures pictures with amazing clarity. The 100-25600 ISO sensitivity is perfect for low-light shooting and fast moving subjects. Record family movies or dramatic films thanks to the 1080p Full HD capabilities.
- The speed to freeze time: EXPEED 4 image processing
- Always connected: Nikon SnapBridge connectivity
- Automatic transfers: Photos automatically appear on your smart device.

Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens
- The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR is a 3.1x normal zoom lenses covering the 18-55mm range of focal lengths (effective angles of view equivalent to those of a lens with 27-82.5mm focal lengths in FX and 35mm [135] formats).

Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens
- This Lens picks up where your 18-55mm lens leaves off to bring distant action within reach. Its superb optics and telephoto field of view produce beautiful portraits with softly blurred backgrounds, and its near-silent autofocus pulse motor (utilizing stepping motors) makes it a great choice for HD video recording.

55mm 0.43x Wide Angle Lens (w/ Macro Portion) Professional 2.2x Telephoto Lens

Bounce Zoom Slave Flash

58" Heavy Duty Tripod

64GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDXC) Memory Card

Deluxe Digital Camera/Video Padded Carrying Case & Compact Memory Card Wallet

55mm 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)

Safety Wrist Grip Strap & Lens Cap Keeper

IR Universal Wireless Remote Control

(3 Pack) High Quality Glass Screen Protector

SD Card Reader/Writer

Xpix Deluxe Cleaning Kit

FiberTique Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:56am by daves64 »  

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Will this work for mineral/rock pics?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Well you certainly will have a great camera.  As you said yourself, lighting will be the next most important step.  If you do not already own a good solid tripod you should definitely think about getting one -- and not one of those cheap flimsy plastic tripods.  One of the keys to taking very crisp and focused pictures is to eliminate all errant vibrations would disrupt your photo and a sturdy tripod does that for you.  Hope that helps. 

P.S. Lighting is a whole other discussion, but ask away if you have any questions.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
This is a screen shot of the bundle package. Includes a 58" 'heavy duty' tripod.

ScreenHunter_262_Jul__12_12_34.jpg ( 57 KB | 139 Downloads )
ScreenHunter_262_Jul__12_12_34.jpg

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Oh boy.. Camera arrived, pulled everything out & had a blast looking at all the stuff. Charged the battery, took a couple experimental pics with the reg lens, then added the wide angle / macro lens and quickly realized I need to adjust the picture size. Macro shot about knocked me out of my chair, but it was soooo beautiful!  Cheesy This thing has so many settings and adjustments and everything I didn't know a camera could have. Loupe came in as well & I discovered this little shiny spot in one of my quartz crystals is a pyrite crystal inclusion. Unfortunately, most of the faces are sort of cloudy or something so I had to coat it with a clear coat water based varnish to see into it clearly. Ah well. Now to get some sleep. Got off work at 7 am & stayed up waiting for the new camera.  Grin

IP Logged

CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
There are hundreds of lenses available,  but what you need is a really good macro lens. Because of depth of field problems in shooting  minerals!I'd recommend a bellows style macro. It will give you alot of flexibility.  Lighting is the big problem,lighting minerals can drive you nuts. One trick I learned from the Van Pelts wasto use two rotatable polarized filters, you rotate the filters till as much of the glare is reduced. You can use onion skin tracing paper( several sheets as a diffuser for regular light bulbs) . Also incandescent light bulbs use tungsten for the filament,this gives Kodak color film an orange coloration, there are  filters that will correct this.( some digital cameras may be susceptible to this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint