Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Entry to mid level lapidary equipment. (Read 18780 times)
JMB1989

RockHoundLounger

Entry to mid level lapidary equipment.
Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Hey everyone how's it going?

I took a cabochon class over the summer and really enjoyed it. I have been frequenting the NC State Craft Center and making creations ever since. My wife and I are expecting our second son on December 14th and I am going to be decently busy. I want to continue making cabochons but figure it will be significantly easy to pop into the garage for a little bit than making a 40 minute round trip to do so.

So I have some questions....
1. Are there any stand out brands that you would recommend for equipment such as grinders and polishers?

2. Would you buy used equipment or new?

3 What accessories would you say changed your lapidary experiences for the better?

4. Does anyone know if there is a physical location or a reputable website to purchase new or used equipment? (I live in Raleigh, NC)

5.Last does anyone have any old equipment in decent shape they want to sell?  Wink

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Entry to mid level lapidary equipment.
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Hey JMB I'll try my best at answering your questions:

JMB1989 wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:26am:
1. Are there any stand out brands that you would recommend for equipment such as grinders and polishers?

I wouldn't say there's one particular brand that stands out above all others -- I'd say using the logic you get what you pay for would be appropriate here. The more money you spend on a machine the better performance and longer life you should expect to get. Now that you have a lot of good experience from the craft center you'll have a much better idea of what you expect out of a machine.  Whatever it is you liked or disliked from the machine you used at the craft center you can now look to find or avoid in a new machine. Obviously if you buy something cheap it's not going to last and will have limitations that you may not like.

2. Would you buy used equipment or new?

This question should only be answered by you. It depends on the budget you plan to spend on this hobby, and it depends on how much time you are willing to invest into this hobby. If you're thinking you're all in and you love it, then buy new equipment, but if you're thinking it's just something you want to play around with for a while but not too heavily then used equipment might be a good option. You have to use your own judgement in this case. But even if your all in, a good deal is a good deal and used equipment is still an option.

3 What accessories would you say changed your lapidary experiences for the better?

I'd say for me it was learning that cerium oxide is probably the best polish for quartz specifically. There's just something magical about how well it works on quartz.

4. Does anyone know if there is a physical location or a reputable website to purchase new or used equipment? (I live in Raleigh, NC)

Joe and I pretty much buy all of our supplies and equipment from Kingsley North -- https://www.kingsleynorth.com/  You'll find that they'll have everything you can possibly think of when it comes to lapidary supplies and equipment.

5.Last does anyone have any old equipment in decent shape they want to sell?  Wink

Unfortunately I'm using all the equipment I have.  I do have an old inland flat lap but it's so bad I wouldn't even give it away -- it's trash. The motor is half burned out and it cuts out from over heating after a couple minutes of use.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I am in the same boat and have been looking for awhile for used lapidary equipment.
Scott and Joe, what machine do you guys mainly use for shaping then grinding/polishing?
I wish you would teach a class, Joe.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Rebecca wrote on Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:24am:
Scott and Joe, what machine do you guys mainly use for shaping then grinding/polishing?

I bought the Kingsley North brand:  https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=95532&catID=93

The design they have now is much better than the one I got several years ago.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I bought the Diamond Gem cab machine from Kingsley North. The reason I got it was because it only has 5 wheels so there is much more room in between the wheels for doing bigger pieces than other machines. And then I bought another used one.
They have now discontinued making the Diamond Gem so for any repairs you have to search for something that works. There is no place to get parts, that I know of.
If you ever see a used Genie that runs for $5-600.00 I would say get it. New machines are great, but if you use them then sooner or later you're going to have repair them.
And then you'll need a flat lap, and a......., and a....... Wink

I'll check and see if I have any equipment parts around that you might be able to use, JMB.

IP Logged

JMB1989

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
That would be awesome Joe. I would be more than happy to buy it if you find equipment you don't want/use anymore. The statement of and a.... and a... really hits home for me as there are so many pieces of equipment that look like they would be useful and fun.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 11:09am
Print Post  
I am in desperate need of a rock saw of at least 10" if anybody has one to sell.
After looking at the Kingsley North you guys use, I am seriously thinking of selling some specimens to buy one myself. Oh the heartbreak!

IP Logged

Lap1Rock2
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I bought all my equipment used to be sure I wanted to really do this hobby and by gum yes I do .. So next is a new Titan and a one oil saw.
I bought arbors that My hubs and a good friend rehabbed for me to use.  New wheels are the best suggestion (Nova are what I bought).  This equipkment was bought from club members (are you a member of a rock club? Ask around).  Which I am ever so grateful for, and the wonderful people I have met in this club.   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint