Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic General Advice on Rock Saws (Read 4034 times)
Antman
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

General Advice on Rock Saws
Sep 23rd, 2019 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I have recently been getting into collecting Rock Types, Minerals, Crystals and fossils. I like them in the rough. I do not polish or tumble or make jewellery. That being said, some of my specimens have too much extra matrix, especially the fossils. As for the general rock types (Granite's, sandstone's, gneiss, etc ) I prefer 4"x3"x3/4" slabs for uniformity in display. Thus, I need a rock saw. You can only do so much with a hammer and a chisel!!!

I can go two ways here: Used or New. Price wise I can go inexpensive (preferred) or go all in at the $700-$1000 range if I can get it from Amazon with monthly payments.

I have not had much luck finding nice looking used equipment. Does anyone have a nice used saw?

If I go new, should I stay in the $100-$200 dollar range or bite the bullet and go for more expensive equipment?

I have been looking at machines for cutting tiles. Any advice on going that route? Here are the details.
++++++++++++++++++++++

From the manufacturer
DEWALT D24000S Heavy-Duty 10-inch Wet Tile Saw with Stand

The 69-pound D24000S 10" Wet Tile Saw allows a one person set up and transport.

Stainless steel rail system is integrated into the tile saw frame, insuring accurate cuts. Rear and side water attachments can be placed on tile saw to catch over-spray from large tile to keep the water in the pan.

The D24000S includes a 10" Wet Tile Saw with a stand that folds for easy transporting and storage.

The stand holds the 69-pound Wet Tile Saw and provides an ideal work space.

Dual water nozzles can be adjusted for optimal water placement on blade in order to minimize over-spray and mist
    Rear and side water attachments can be placed on tile saw to contain water run-off and to catch blade sprayoverspray from large tile keeping the water in the pan
    Removable cutting cart for easy cleaning of tile saw
+++++++++++++++++++
Search Amazon for a picture
DEWALT-D24000S-Heavy-Duty-10-inch-Stand
+++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for any help or opinions on this.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: General Advice on Rock Saws
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Yes, investing in lapidary equipment of any kind is always a tough multi-faceted question. Kind of like between a rock and a hard place!

Anyway that 24000 looks like a real nice saw. With a 1.5hp motor you have got plenty of power. The table or tray is plenty big enough and the whole saw is portable. The Dewalt XP4 10" blade is very nice looking blade at $50.00 each for replacements. A solid blade and not notched. I like the solid better so I might have to try one sometime.
The main limitation to consider is the maximum 3 1/8th" depth of cut. I don't know if you could cut a 4" rock down.
Tile saws are great saws, with their own purpose, but they are not slab saws. They are perfect for cutting slabs into cabochons or whatever once the slab has already been cut.
But since you are looking for specimens and not multiple repeated cuts, I would guess that you would be able to handle a lot of your projects with this saw, but probably not all.
Then again, I don't think they make a saw that does it all.  Wink

And you have to think about how a slab saw with an automatic feed compares to doing everything hand held. The feed rate on a slab saw is about 1" every 5 minutes.
This saw would probably last you the rest of your life if you thought it was something you could use. Parts are parts.

So, you aren't thinking about sanding the saw marks out of the cut surfaces on your specimens?

IP Logged

Antman
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 12:55am
Print Post  
JoeM--Thanks for the reply. As for the saw cut marks, they don't bother me as I won't be polishing the specimens as I prefer the natural rough surface of the specimen anyway. My main concern is getting rid of excess matrix. Most specimens are less than 3" thick so that should not be a problem most of the time. When they are thicker, they can usually be thinned with a chisel and hammer. Many of them are Green River fish or plant fossils in 1/4" to 1/2" thick shale or sandstone. Often there will be 3 or 4 different fossils on the same slab which I want to cut apart. I do see the advantage of the bottom-up cutting of the slab saw instead of the top-down of the tile saw. Also, a slab saw would give you more flexibility to cut slabs off of larger rocks

Everything  considered, maybe I would be better served with a Slab saw like this one:

Hi-Tech Diamond 10" Lapidary Slab Saw | Cutting Sawing Slabbing Machine | Includes TWO 10" Diamond Saw Blades
by Hi-Tech Diamond
Price:      $699.00 & FREE Shipping
Pay $38.83/month for 18 months, interest-free with your Amazon Rewards Visa Card

Excellent choice and economical saw for slabbing larger rocks, minerals and glass into more manageable pieces.
    Includes TWO 10" diamond saw blades, spray shield, Allen wrench and complete written and visual instructions.
    Powerful 1/3 hp motor that provides plenty of strength for large cuts, delivering a speed of 1,725rpm.
    Made of unbreakable, rustproof, impact-resistant material that is easy to clean.
    Manufactured in the U.S.A. Comes backed with a one-year warranty.
++++++++++++++++++++

Search Amazon to see this one. It does not appear to have an auto-feed

IP Logged

Antman
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
JoeM

Well I have ordered my saw. I decided on the
Hi-Tech Diamond 10" Lapidary Slab Saw. It is supposed tio arrive from Amazon on Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Awesome! Congrats on your purchase. I believe you will find that you have made a good decision!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Agreed! Great choice and a great price!
That's a rock saw I think you will find more versatile than the tile saw.
Nice little guide bar. The only thing you're sacrificing is the large 24" bed of the tile saw, but the saw isn't big enough to cut a rock that big so you'd probably only use it when you're redoing the kitchen. Lips Sealed
Only word of warning would be they probably shaved cost by making the body a little less durable, so keep an eye on it.
I think you made a great choice. Enjoy!
Can't wait to see some of your work! Smiley

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
does that hi tech lapidary saw feed the rock in itself?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
No, Rebel, it doesn't look like it has an auto-feed. A clamp on a guide bar that you move yourself is an accessory.
Do you have an auto-feed on your tile saw?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint