Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "meteorite" / jaguar agates from WY (Read 3650 times)
jrh4
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

"meteorite" / jaguar agates from WY
Dec 3rd, 2019 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like these "meteorite" agates before. I have my own theories as to how they could be formed like that, but I'm curious what other people think. They certainly are unique! What do you think is going on here? What kind of natural processes made them look so cool?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372857140902
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372857161909
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372857179043
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372857156757

IMG_0144.JPEG ( 1292 KB | 60 Downloads )
IMG_0144.JPEG

IP Logged

jrh4
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: "meteorite" / jaguar agates from WY
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I find it hard to believe that no one on here has an opinion on these things! Someone on a FB group introduced me to the term "ventifact" meaning wind-blown. Does that sound right? Has anyone seen stuff like this before?

IP Logged

Laurie Adams

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Very hard cryptocrystalline quartz can be polished to a very high degree by natural erosion, particularly in streams and rivers.  It is doubtful, though perhaps not impossible that wind could be the culprit, but the conditions for that would have to be exceptional.  Cool stuff!  Natures tumbler at work again.

IP Logged

jrh4
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I know the guys who collect these and they are definitely not tumbled or polished. I think they're "ventifact" or basically sand-blasted into those awesome shapes. Then there's the cool dendrites and plumes and betroidal (?) inclusions. I'm thinking they must have formed in volcanic rocks? Definitely cool stuff, although I was really hoping for some more scholarly discussion on here...

IP Logged

jrh4
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Well a little berating goes a long way around here. Smiley
Welcome to the Board, jrh4.
The main reason I did not comment on these pieces is because you were all ready seeing much more in them than I can from the pictures so I didn't have much to add, and I thought Laurie's reply was gracious and spot on.
I'm guessing it's the fine natural polish on these pieces you find most attractive and interesting. Indeed it is!
Botryoidal formations in agate are pretty common and a lot of chalcedony is fluorescent. Just Google "botryoidal chalcedony" for some great pictures. Are you comparing this with the famous Montana Moss Agate? The chalcedony looks very similar. The botryoidal formations are a little more rare in that material but not unheard of. Very hard rock. It would've had to have been exposed in ideal conditions, a windy sandy surface for a very long time for it to be called a ventiform, so you would have to know exactly where it was found. Water wear is more likely. And you have the natural conchoidal fracture of the chalcedony to consider.
It would be nice to see some larger pieces of it. Are they from nodular agate formations or veins.?
I would be interested if there is any "iris" agate in any of those pieces but you would have to cut them to see and I know you do not want to do that.
And I have to ask, where does the allusion to meteorites come from?
Nature does some wonderful things. Thanks for the pics!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint