Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The oldest specimen in your collection today? (Read 3828 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

The oldest specimen in your collection today?
Jun 8th, 2020 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
We all had a starting point to when we got our first rock or mineral specimen.  My beginning started in 1958-1959 as a 4th grade student.  The teacher (an avid rockhound and collector) had us put together a rock and mineral collection and display them in class. 

My first specimens were quartz (some crystals) and mica that I found in my neighborhood or while visiting relatives in western NC.  Our class took a field trip to Spruce Pine in 1959 to visit the NC Mineral Museum at the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We visited Greene's Rock Shop & Mineral Museum that was close to the parkway.

The owner, Linten Greene, was an old time collector and sold beryl to the US Government in the early and mid 1950s.  He showed us his large collection and he had specimens for sale and gave us some for free.  I bought a nice beryl crystal and an almandine garnet crystal for my meager collection.  Over the years the beryl was given to a cousin that started a collection, but the garnet crystal has stayed with me all these years.

Below are some photos of the garnet that I purchased in 1959, 61 years ago.

1959_001_f.jpg ( 41 KB | 23 Downloads )
1959_001_f.jpg
1959_001_k.jpg ( 40 KB | 26 Downloads )
1959_001_k.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: The oldest specimen in your collection today?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
And still a fine looking little Garnet, too! Smiley

Yes, we all had to start sometime. Seeing as how I'm 62 now, I would've been about One, (1), year old when you purchased that garnet. Wink
So that's my excuse for not starting my collection for another 14 years.
We're all the way up to 1972 now. I was 15 and had just met a guy who collected arrowheads. I was impressed and interested and asked him where a spot was that I could go and find one of my own. He told me to go out to Mitchell Mill on the Little River straddling Wake and Franklin counties and look in any of the plowed fields as close to the water as I could get.
Since I wasn't old enough to have a drivers license I had to find a friend with a car to take me out there, but I was out there the next day.
I didn't really know the difference between a flake and an arrowhead at the time, but sure enough, it was good information, there were chips everywhere! It didn't take me long to find the big green crude Guilford still leaching iron oxides. It is at the top middle of my frame of points from that area of the Little River and began 20 years of walking plowed fields.
And I'm glad Memory Lane is still a long walk! Smiley

DSCN4186.JPG ( 165 KB | 26 Downloads )
DSCN4186.JPG

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Nice story and collection of artifacts, Joe.  Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

IP Logged

Eric He

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
As a relatively newer collector, the earliest specimens in my collection have only really been there for around 2 years.
As for the oldest documented specimen, I think it goes to my big piece from Spruce Ridge, WA that dates back to the 1977 Medici operation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint