Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Proper use of equipment. (Read 4510 times)
CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Proper use of equipment.
Jun 29th, 2020 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
I've recently come across something that needs attention. Folks are buying tile saws to cut gem material. I don't object to the tile saws or the need to save money, I object to using the saws improperly.  A lapidary saw blade turns clock wise so that the coolant is thrown of the blade onto the rock. Some of these saws have no spray diverter ,and no provision for a vice . The most dangerous practice I have seen is pulling the rock from the back of the saw to the front. I can guarantee this will result in someone a mouth full of rock. Having been a cutter for 30 years I have dodged more than a few rocks and even more metal work thrown at me by polishers.I caught a 3 lb pewter picture frame at a scale speed of 200 miles an hour, there is still a dent in my sternum. I'm a member of the Gem Cutters Guild Of Baltimore , we recently had a new member that was grinding rock on a bench grinder. This is insanely dangerous, those wheels will shatter if pushed to hard, they were never meant to grind any thing asgard as rock.Please be careful these accidents can be fatal.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Proper use of equipment.
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Excellent warning, CB. Trying short cuts with improper tools can easily result in injury, not to mention usually unsatisfactory results on the rock you're trying to work.
As hard as it may be for y'all to believe I have caught myself being foolishly stupid on a few occasions.  Shocked

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  
JoeM wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:34am:
As hard as it may be for y'all to believe I have caught myself being foolishly stupid on a few occasions.  Shocked

Huh Say it isn't so... You?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rock8112

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
I bought a 10inch wet tile saw to cut agate, everyone tells me not to worry, I didn't take of the safety guard like I've seen on YouTube and I don't run it backwards to avoid water spray neither, it does give me a little scare when I cut 1/4 inch cuts because I have to hold the stone and not let it rest on the sliding table or it gets pushed down and the cut is uneven so I hold the main part of the stone tightly and just use a finger to press against the other side of the 1/4 cut. Is that dangerous? I am using a continuous diamond blade, I was told it wouldn't cut me if I nicked it with my fingers, I was told I have to jam it in the blade pretty good to get injured, just don't wear loose clothing or jewelry, wear eye and ear protection and a good respirator mask I was told.

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Rock8112 wrote on Jan 21st, 2021 at 12:11pm:
I am using a continuous diamond blade, I was told it wouldn't cut me if I nicked it with my fingers, I was told I have to jam it in the blade pretty good to get injured

I have no experience with them, so I couldn't tell you if they cut flesh or not. But... be a quick way to trim your fingernails.  Roll Eyes Use small pieces of wood to hold and guide the stones. Wood doesn't bleed allover the place.  Undecided

IP Logged

Rock8112

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Thanks daves64, I'm actually thinking of buying some cheap 50 cent tiles and dop wax the stone to the tile, that way I could rest the tile against the back of the sliding table and just slice the stone like a piece of bread.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Well, I thought CB might get on here and set y'all straight, but I'll give it a try.

First of all, congratulations on getting a saw, Rock. Have fun with it!

No, the diamond blade will not cut you. You can hold your finger "lightly" on the blade while it is turning and be fine. Hold it there a little longer and firmer and yes, you will fairly quickly wear a groove thru your skin and eventually bleed.

Your last idea about dopping your rock to a slab is a good one and a little closer to the title of this thread, "Proper Use of Equipment".
A tile saw is made for cutting 'flat' tiles. It also works well for cutting 'flat' slabs. So if you buy your rock in slabs you can use the saw to cut out your cabochon preforms. But, cutting rough rock or anything else and you are going beyond, "Proper Use of Equipment" period.

So you have to be creative, and as any artist will tell you, you've got to bleed a little to create any great works of art!   Wink

IP Logged

Rock8112

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 5:37am
Print Post  
I'm not afraid of bleeding, done a lot of that, I'm afraid of the nicknames, like "fingers"...Why do they call you fingers, they'll say....cause I lost a couple being a dumb a** I'll say as I hold my hand up Cheesy Grin....j/k
Thanks guys, I was just curious.....

IP Logged

CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2021 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
The idea of making a sled to  to hold the cutee is a good one . With large slab saws irregular ruff can be difficult to clamp into standard vices. Gluing the material to a 2×4or a2×10 can eliminate this problem. Some thick kerfblades do pose a cut threat. The 4 inch , and 7inch blades have a sharper profile,  and can cut you if they are not roughed up . Put the new blade on, take the brick that you use for deglazing your sawblade and take off the sharp edges. These blades are mostly for  tile saws. The blades from Harbor Freight are cheap but tough.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint