Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic One is not like the others (Read 986 times)
AnthonyDel
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

One is not like the others
Jul 24th, 2021 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Found a bunch of calcite and what I think might be quartz? It is about twice as heavy as the calcite and doesn’t scratch as easily.

Another thing that confuses me is that all of these minerals are on the perimeter of a 10ft by 10ft sinkhole. They were about 6” to 2’ from the edge of the sinkhole. They were found on the surface to about 6” deep. They also seem to only go about 1/3 of the way around the sinkhole.  I didn’t find any minerals outside of these dimensions. I moved a lot of dirt in and around the sinkhole but found none anywhere else.

How did they get there?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: One is not like the others
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Wow! That's a lot of Calcite, Anthony, Nice Find! Thanks for the pictures. Smiley
There's a real variety of shapes, formations, and colors. Maybe the sinkhole cut through the edge of a layer or vein of calcite? Then you'd want to know if it was an alluvial concentration of calcite or in-situ.
And the first thing we'd need to know is where in the world is that sinkhole? County/State.
My guess on the 'different' piece is it looks like a ball of weathered Iron Pyrite or Marcasite and sulfides?
Go back and find some Calcite Crystals! Smiley

IP Logged

AnthonyDel
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Franklin County/Missouri.  I am going back and going to stay focused on tracing the calcite through the soil.

It is really pure clay soil once a dig down about 1ft or so. I haven’t found any in the thick clay. Right now I am going to keeping tracing the path and see if I can find the motherload lol

Thanks for the response

IP Logged

AnthonyDel
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Went back today to look again…found another possible galena?!? Not sure…also found a big piece facing downward In the soil…what is that? And what is with the big hump?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
i'd call it some pretty cool stuff
looks to me like you're having more fun than any rockhound should have by himself, so i hope you have a buddy with you, especially around a sinkhole.
it looks like you are following a vein or layer of travertine with pockets of, lots of pockets, of calcite. Travertine is a calcium carbonate and is sometimes called 'cave onyx', hence your sinkhole. You may be breaking through the roof of a large hollow vug, sometimes called a cave.  Shocked  if you're at the roof, i wonder what the floor looks like  Roll Eyes
look up travertine veins and outcrops in Missouri.
and Galena is a good guess for that area.
if you have the opportunity to keep digging i certainly would. if you get to undisturbed areas, go slow and look for all kinds of other minerals in pockets.
like in your second picture, the two dark crystals sticking up in the middle of the 'flow', are they 'terminated' crystals,
are they smoky quartz
and this looks like it might be a good reference for you for all your future rockhounding adventues.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/59737/59737-h/59737-h.htm#c8

good stuff. have fun be careful, and keep us posted. Smiley

IP Logged

AnthonyDel
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Thanks for the concern Joe. I have taken my wife and son when I go except for the first time.

The sinkhole is pretty old from what I can tell. There is a hundred year old tree right on the edge of it and the roots are not exposed. There is also a 10 year or so tree growing out of a hole at the bottoms of it. The sinkhole is shaped like a funnel and there is possible a cave entrance at bottom. But it is a very small entrance and there is no chance I am going to try to enter it. I stuck my shovel in it from the top and it is filled with water.

However the vein is no more than a foot wide about 1 to 2 ft from the rim. The surrounding areas have a few caves that are off limits, but in my younger days, my and friends would explore them. To old for that risk nowadays. I am going to keep tracing the vein. Any good finds I will share.

Also, those crystals you are mentioning aren’t terminated and they are definitely calcite. The picture is confusing they are flush with the rock.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Very good, Anthony, and thank you for the info.
yes, from what you've been finding already, following that vein looks interesting and fun enough.
But if it's like it is here, it's too hot to do much digging this afternoon anyway,
of course you have the shade of that tree  Smiley
That's the nice thing about digging by hand, you don't have any choice but to take your time. Wink

Enjoy yourself and thanks for the report.

IP Logged

CBDuke

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
There is a possibility that the rusty looking sample is bog iron.  We find it in the gravel terraces Baltimore City and county. But they are always associated with water. Some amorphous silica combines with precipitated iron , they also incorporate quartz.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint