Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rock lover and part time lapidarist (Read 574 times)
AprilW
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Rock lover and part time lapidarist
Aug 17th, 2021 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

My name is April. I have grown up in North Carolina and while I am pretty good at identifying common gemstones, I really suck at identifying the stones in my own backyard. Lol.

I am a jewelry designer and part time lapidarist. While I love the artistry and beauty of gemstones, my interests lie more in stones I can cut than mineral specimens. Though if I find a crystal point, it is going home with me (if I can).

While I haven’t met most of you, I do know JoeM. He and I have talked rocks over the years and I do occasionally buy cabs from him for special projects. He has been encouraging me to do more rockhounding for my jewelry stones.

Anyway, I will probably be around trying to understand the local geology and the stones I am finding locally.

April

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Rock lover and part time lapidarist
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Board, April. Thanks for the introduction! Smiley

And,
not that this book will help you a lot with individual mineral identification, it does do a great job explaining how and when the rocks of North Carolina were formed and a lot about how they got to look like they do today. The book has nice concise chapters on each area, so it's easy to read one section at a time when you have the time. I think you would enjoy reading it for backGround information.

"Exploring the Geology of the Carolinas"
by Kevin G. Stewart and Mary-Russell Roberson

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Rock lover and part time lapidarist
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2021 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the RHL April. I also favor the stones that can be cut as well. Each rock, even the ugly ones, have a unique geological story to tell. Part of rockhounding is being able to read those stories because they could very well lead you to the gemstones. We get it wrong sometimes, but when we get it right it makes it all worth while. Hope you can glean some useful information here to supplement your rockhounding knowledge.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint