Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dark petrified wood (Read 1071 times)
daves64

Rockaholic

Dark petrified wood
Sep 22nd, 2021 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Walking home from work this morning I passed a house that is in the process of being torn down that had a bunch of rocks outside for decoration, some of which were still there. I figured fair game if there was anything nice left. I found a chunk of dark petrified wood that has obviously been cut on both sides. No idea of it's origin, but I don't own any dark pet wood like this, so...  First 2 pics are the outside. The measurements are 4.25" long x 3.5" tall x 1.75" thick. The saw marks are very obvious. Pics 3 - 11 are closeups using my Dino-lite at 50x with a light coating of baby oil to bring out the colors. I know, baby oil sounds weird, but water keep drying before I could get good pics. Would this be a good candidate for slabbing & polishing or just polishing? And if so, is anyone willing to help with that? I'm really liking the unexpected colors I found. I could try to do it by hand as it isn't agatized, but the pic 2 side has a couple ridges from the saw that I don't think I could manage with hand held diamond files & still keep the surface level.  Undecided

1_053.JPG ( 648 KB | 25 Downloads )
1_053.JPG
2_051.JPG ( 754 KB | 26 Downloads )
2_051.JPG
3_009.jpg ( 557 KB | 23 Downloads )
3_009.jpg
4_014.jpg ( 556 KB | 21 Downloads )
4_014.jpg
5_014.jpg ( 554 KB | 19 Downloads )
5_014.jpg
6_009.jpg ( 642 KB | 19 Downloads )
6_009.jpg
7_012.jpg ( 486 KB | 22 Downloads )
7_012.jpg
8_009.jpg ( 598 KB | 17 Downloads )
8_009.jpg
9_006.jpg ( 699 KB | 23 Downloads )
9_006.jpg
10_004.jpg ( 680 KB | 19 Downloads )
10_004.jpg
11_004.jpg ( 582 KB | 21 Downloads )
11_004.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Dark petrified wood
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Wow, you really caught a lot of that piece. I think you're done except for cropping, sizing, and printing. I'll take a couple prints. Definitely one of  number 5 of the Dinolite pics. 8 x 10 will be fine.  Smiley

Pretty piece. I believe that cell structure is Conifer.
With all those fractures it would be very tricky to polish. You can't tumble it so you would have to do it by hand on a flat lap or cab machine. With the coarse grit you would start with to get the saw marks out you will find out real quick how much is going to stay together on a flat lap, so I'm thinking easy as you go on a cab machine.
The second of your first two pics is probably the best side. The darker square covering bottom right corner looks the safest. No telling if 'all' of that lighter 'border' will stay attached.
I like the pictures. I know those saw marks are bothersome but you will probably sacrifice 'some' of the piece in the process of polishing.
And BTW, if you use Baby oil in the future, lie and call it Mineral Oil. HA, Sounds more professional. Wink

The other thing to think about is how much of what you can get in your photos will you be able to see and appreciate in the polished surface/

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
So you like that inverted chevron with the "lightning" huh? Me too. It's actually on side 1, mid level, to the left of the top of the grayish "pillar".
Unfortunately, I don't have a flat lap or cab machine. I do however have a flat counter & various grits of sandpaper. The outside edges (sides) seems pretty solid all the way around. I'll try to get pics of the sides this evening after I get some zzz's. I may be able to level the ridged areas some with the diamond files, if I'm careful.
Hopefully the red's & yellow's will survive the attempt.  Huh
Not sure, but I think the white speckles in some of the pics are diamond bits from the saw blade. They're mainly showing up on side 2 & there's a smear of sorts of it as well. Guess it came with it's own grit.  Grin

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Had to recharge the battery for my camera, which meant finding the charger..  Undecided Finally found it this morning, battery recharged, so here's the side pics. The fracture area in question on pic 1 is the top of pic 15 (last pic). Looks pretty stable to me, but I could be wrong.  Huh

12_002.JPG ( 409 KB | 24 Downloads )
12_002.JPG
13_001.JPG ( 307 KB | 25 Downloads )
13_001.JPG
14_001.JPG ( 371 KB | 26 Downloads )
14_001.JPG
15.JPG ( 368 KB | 26 Downloads )
15.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2021 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Okay, yeah, the slab is thicker and more stable looking than i was thinking. It might even take a tumbling.
Go ahead and send it this way if you want. We have a couple beds left in the emergency room and I'll get Dr. Joe to look at it. Tongue

and oh yeah, those little white speck/dots shouldn't be diamond from the saw blade. A lot of agate and petrified wood will have little white dots like that and are usually little spots of quartz. Or it could be some other foreign substance that got on there somehow.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2021 at 1:52pm by JoeM »  

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2021 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Well, whatever it is, it's on the surface & looks metallic. My Dino-lite (like most of them) has a built in polarizer for the LEDs, so I used it to show what I mean. 1st pic is fully polarized, the 2nd at 75% polarization & the 3rd is non polarized. Looks like metallic smears & dots, in line with the saw marks.

*looks up the address for Dr. Joe's Rockin Clinic*  Grin
Not really wanting to test the tumbling prognosis though, I would rather keep the sides rough & natural looking.

Fully_polarized.jpg ( 734 KB | 18 Downloads )
Fully_polarized.jpg
Polarizer_75_.jpg ( 676 KB | 23 Downloads )
Polarizer_75_.jpg
Polarizer_off.jpg ( 654 KB | 23 Downloads )
Polarizer_off.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2021 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I love all the great close up shots.  Thanks for sharing.  That's some beautiful pet wood you've got!  Cheesy

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2021 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Scott LaBorde wrote on Oct 27th, 2021 at 10:39am:
 That's some beautiful pet wood you've got!  Cheesy

Actually, Joe has it right now, grinding the snot out of it (because nobody wants snotty pet wood). And since he might charge an arm & a leg, I have to find suitable ones to send him.. I sort of need mine.  Grin Saw grooves on one side are getting leveled.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint