Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Backyard Beetrip (Read 4547 times)
JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Backyard Beetrip
Mar 11th, 2022 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
So I got my errands and running around done and was back in the workshop by 1pm this afternoon and was looking forward to working on something. It was an overcast dreary chilly morning but about the time I got back to the shop you could see the clouds starting to break and hints of sun peeking through, which was a good thing since the sun does most of the warming in the shop. I was looking forward to a productive afternoon.
  I had no sooner set my cup of coffee down on the desk and was beginning to peruse the mess, when I heard bees banging into the doors of the shop!  Shocked
  I stepped out. The sun was breaking through the clouds, it was noticeably warmer, and the bees were swarming!!! Hundreds of them all flying everywhere. Those bees really know what they're doing! I could stand right in the middle of them and they wouldn't give me a second thought.
  Here are some pics of the main hive in the distance and the empty one I'm going to try and get the swarms into on the bench. And to our great fortune, the bees decided to land on the fence instead of in the top of a nearby tree. Smiley

DSCN7405.JPG ( 195 KB | 42 Downloads )
DSCN7405.JPG
DSCN7411.JPG ( 211 KB | 39 Downloads )
DSCN7411.JPG
DSCN7414.JPG ( 189 KB | 41 Downloads )
DSCN7414.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Backyard Beetrip
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
So the idea is for me and my Bee Master sister to hold that empty hive up to the clumps and kindof scrape, brush, and nudge them into it, along with any Queen bee that may or may not be in the clump.
We got a step ladder and set the empty on top of it and leaned it up against the fence. We had the top of the empty box right below them and started with the clump on the post. We just scraped off a couple of scoops of bees onto the top of the hive and I mean it is the coolest thing to watch them all start marching in!
Anyway, they didn't stay in the hive. They went back to the main hive. There probably wasn't a real Queen in that clump.
So we went for the next biggest clump in the middle of the fence, and so far they have stayed! YAY! But it's supposed to get below freezing for the next three nights in a row, so it's going to be touch and go. I'm not worried about the main hive but it's going to be hard for the new one to get going.
But we can try again! Smiley
Here's too many bee pictures.

DSCN7407.JPG ( 181 KB | 40 Downloads )
DSCN7407.JPG
DSCN7409.JPG ( 158 KB | 44 Downloads )
DSCN7409.JPG
DSCN7418.JPG ( 174 KB | 40 Downloads )
DSCN7418.JPG
DSCN7419.JPG ( 192 KB | 42 Downloads )
DSCN7419.JPG
DSCN7448.JPG ( 230 KB | 40 Downloads )
DSCN7448.JPG
DSCN7426.JPG ( 207 KB | 43 Downloads )
DSCN7426.JPG
DSCN7442.JPG ( 211 KB | 39 Downloads )
DSCN7442.JPG
DSCN7422_001.JPG ( 231 KB | 42 Downloads )
DSCN7422_001.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2022 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Well they weren't able to get all their swarming done in that one afternoon. We caught a new hive, but that was the only empty hive I had. Luckily the new hive made it through the 2-3 below freezing nights we had, and when it warmed up again the bees were ready to finish their business, with or without me.
Unfortunately, since I wasn't able to provide them a new residence, this time they did decide to land in the top of a tree in our neighbors backyard. It was a huge swarm and I hate losing that one because it was the main swarm of the old hive and probably had my old queen. It stayed in the top of the tree for 4-5 days before finding a new home. Cry

DSCN7659.JPG ( 213 KB | 42 Downloads )
DSCN7659.JPG
DSCN7663.JPG ( 174 KB | 40 Downloads )
DSCN7663.JPG
DSCN7680.JPG ( 228 KB | 38 Downloads )
DSCN7680.JPG

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2022 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Beeautiful!  It's so cool how the hive mind directs them all in unison to do all the things they do. And knowing how much we need bees for their pollination make them all the more compelling. We all need bees and those bees need Joe!  Cheesy Wink

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 7:54am
Print Post  
So how do you get them all back into the hive when swarming like that?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Good Morning, ID, I hear you got a little more snow up there. Guess you'll have a couple more weeks of winter. Wink

Well, the easiest best way to collect a new hive is to have an empty one, or two, set up close by for the bees to  get familiar with before they swarm. Then, when the queen has been mated and they are done with their business, hopefully they will like the empties enough to move in and occupy by themselves.
But I did not do that in time. I got an empty hive box just a few weeks before they swarmed so they did not have time to get used to it. So when they first swarmed, I got lucky and they collected in three swarms on the fence. I held the empty hive below the clump on the fence and my sister scraped them off the fence with a wide putty knife and into the hive. We did not get stung at all because the bees are only interested in taking care of their business. But the first clump we scraped into the hive did not have a queen, so after getting them into the hive and closing it up they all left. But the second clump we scraped off the fence did have a queen so we got one new hive.

Unfortunately, I only had the one extra hive, so a couple days later when the main hive swarmed again, they landed in the top of our neighbors magnolia tree. They hung out in a clump in that tree for about 4 or 5 days before finding their new home somewhere. I hate I lost that swarm because that had my original queen and was easily over a thousand bees. If I had had a new empty hive set up in the yard for them, that they were already familiar with, then they probably would've occupied it, but since I didn't, they have found a new home.  Cry
So I have two hives now, one old one and one new one, but not nearly as many bees. I have one new empty hive set up and want to get a couple more so I'm ready for the next swarm, which probably won't be until next Spring.
It's usually the second year before you have any honey worth collecting, so maybe I'll have something by the end of this year.

You ought to get yourself a hive set up and see if anything moves in! Smiley
Have a Good Easter Weekend!

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2022 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Remind me to stay out of your backyard. I've got a bit of a sensitivity to histamine..  Undecided

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2023 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Well Joe did you get any honey last fall from your bee's?

I don't think the bee's would survive our winters and don't want to build them an apartment to winter over with.

They bring in hives here in the spring and take them out come fall.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2023 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Yes, moving bees around is big business. Incredible operation.
I really don't know the answer to how well they survive the winter in places like Canada. I can't imagine that they would migrate every year. Of course they wouldn't be able to winter where you are, there aren't any trees! Grin

This is just my fourth year with the bees and I haven't harvested any honey yet. I could've gotten some the first year but decided to leave it for them to winter on. And I had been feeding them sugar water to keep them around so the honey wouldn't be that great.
It really all depends on how and when they swarm in the Spring that determines how good of a hive you get. And the weather has been so crazy the bees don't know what to do. 85 one day and 35 the next. I was afraid they were going to swarm last week, because that would be a little early, but they didn't. They did something strange last Thursday though. I don't know what they were doing. There was a 'sentry' bee that stayed right in the entrance of the hive and all the other bees had to touch him, or something, before they could go in or out. And then all the bees bearded the outside of the hive. Then they climbed up on each other about 4-5 layers deep and the whole mound just started pulsing and vibrating like they were at one of those Raves or something. Might have been what they call a false swarm because it seems to have taken that urge out of them for the time being.
Soon tho. I'll try and get more pics.  Cool

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2023 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Well, since there hasn't been a whole lot of action in the "Field Trip" section lately I may as well update this thread to 2023.
After not being prepared for the 'Swarm' last year, I was ready for them this year and had three extra hives ready to go.
I was down to the one hive last year, and that hive was packed. Bees wing to wing! They were ready to swarm first chance they got. The crazy up and down temperatures didn't help any. Nobody knew what to do. 
That one hive ended up swarming six times over two weeks. Bees everywhere. First they'd cluster in a tree and the next day move to a bush, or the fence.  In the end I managed to collect two more hives, so we're up to three!
I didn't take pictures of all the swarms, but here are two pics of their first swarm of the year.  This was a trial run. It only warmed up for a few hours that afternoon and then they all went back to the hive. They're hard to see in the first picture but the air is full of them.  And then settled into three clumps in the jasmine vine.

DSCN4826.JPG ( 197 KB | 8 Downloads )
DSCN4826.JPG
DSCN4829.JPG ( 202 KB | 9 Downloads )
DSCN4829.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint