Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Azurite location? (Read 612 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Azurite location?
Sep 7th, 2022 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
So I've got this nice azurite specimen (minor malachite) without a label thus no location data. So, I just wanted to see if there was anyone that knows more about azurite than I do. I have an idea of where it came from by doing mindat research, however, I don't want to adulterate the waters with my idea until I've given all of you a fair chance to come up with an answer.   Wink. Any help is much appreciated!  Smiley

azurite1.jpg ( 337 KB | 10 Downloads )
azurite1.jpg
azurite2.jpg ( 398 KB | 11 Downloads )
azurite2.jpg
azurite3.jpg ( 352 KB | 11 Downloads )
azurite3.jpg
azurite4.jpg ( 258 KB | 11 Downloads )
azurite4.jpg

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Re: Azurite location?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 11:05am
Print Post  
So THAT'S where it wandered off to. Thought I just misplaced it.  Grin
Very nice looking chunk 'o rock there Scott!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Well, Indeed! I thought Azurite crystals like these were a little more rare than they apparently are.  I'm surprised to see so many different possible source localities around the world. These are good size for the type. The formation reminds me of some Siderites.
That being said, the habit of crystal growth does seem to be unique enough from site to site that a positive identification should be possible with close examination of similar specimens.
How many guesses do we get? Go Fish?
I'll take three. Got any 'M's'?

Guess #3.  Morenci Mine, Greenlee Co., AZ
                  I didn't think this would be a candidate at first, but after checking specimen pictures, it looks like similar crystals have been found there.
Guess #2,  Milpillas Mine,  Sonora, Mexico
                  Good possibility.
Guess #1,  Morocco
                  Best possibility as a lot of this material has been appearing on the market the last few years.

Just guesses. But, yes, between the host rock and the crystal habit a positive source ID should be possible. Azurite is a cool, beautiful mineral, with tons of different forms!  Wink

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Well my #1 guess was Morenci Mine, AZ, although I did vacillated between AZ and Morocco.

The reason is because it seems most of the Moroccan specimens had very high luster, whereas my specimen has a slight etched luster. I found more examples of similar luster in the Morenci Mine azurites. Don't get me wrong, as I do understand that trying to classify it with a characteristic as tenuous as luster alone probably isn't too reliable. Basically what I'm saying is that I could be easily convinced to change my mind to Moroccan.  Tongue

France was also something I was looking at.

Taking solely into account the sheer number of morrocan azurites that were uploaded to mindat, my specimen might be moroccan if going by probability alone.  Shocked

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Yes, I was surprised by how many different locations have produced crystals like these.  I thought they were a little more rare and site specific, but it makes sense that pockets where crystals like these have room to grow could happen at any location.
It does look like there are subtle differences in the crystals from one site to another, so if you were able to have the specimens infront of you to study you could probably identify the source from the crystal habit and the host rock.
They are beautiful crystals.
Morocco sounds good to me, Rocco! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint