Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Beaufort NC finds (Read 399 times)
Collin

RockHoundLounger

Beaufort NC finds
May 25th, 2023 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
It hasn’t been over 6 years since my last post? Time flies when you’re getting older I guess. I was so inspired from Scott’s recent Wake County finds with Joe that I decided to login again.

Anyway, here’s some teeth I found in Beaufort on a couple construction sites. These were in the backfill dirt from a few miles away out of a huge pit with giant clam shells.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Beaufort NC finds
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2023 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Awesome! Very nice finds. I've yet to find a tooth bigger than a couple centimeters.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2023 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Great to hear from  you, Collin! Glad you are well. Smiley
I know there's a lot of building going on down there, makes me sick.
No telling what archaeological sites are being destroyed without even a casual survey. I hope you're surveying it!
Glad to see you're still keeping one eye on the ground. You think those teeth all came from the same shark? Cheesy

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2023 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Thanks y’all! We definitely survey. I’d like to know more about these sites Joe!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2023 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Well, that kind of reminds me of a funny story, Collin.
I remember when I was down at the coast for the first time with the state archaeologists. They had a new site they were surveying and were talking about a couple more in the area they would like to check out. So we were doing a lot of exploring. Anyway, in the process I noticed that the arch in charge had this master topo map with all the recorded sites marked on it. Well, that was too much to resist and I eagerly, but patiently, waited for my opportunity to take a look at it! I was a lowly amateur volunteer and wasn't included in the "serious" discussions about the map, but one evening they had it laid out on a table and were having one of those serious discussions and I was able to wander over and take a look at it.
The wholedang coastline was covered with red dots like a solid red ribbon! No help at all.  Cheesy

But, yeah, on the mainland side of the sound anywhere there's freshwater nearby should be good. Main problem down there is that 400 years of historic occupation has moved and covered most of it. Back in the 1980's there were still a few farm fields up and down the sound, and as usual, they were the best places to look and actually preserved the integrity of the sites. I have no idea what the place looks like now. Haven't been down that way in 5-6 years.
But, yes, those borrow pits for fill dirt are a good place to look, especially if you're seeing extinct clam shells! Sometimes they use the tailings from Aurora for fill up around Oriental and north. Bayboro

DSCN6814_001.JPG ( 199 KB | 3 Downloads )
DSCN6814_001.JPG

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Joe, thanks for sharing. There’s a neighborhood in Newport that I’m working in currently. The location where the marina was dug out years ago uncovered a lot of artifacts. I’m going to get in touch with the people who were there for it. Hopefully sometime this week I’ll get the contact info from the surveyor who plotted the neighborhood, he’s supposed to know everything about it.

I’ll keep you posted what I find out!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint