Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possible artifacts? (Read 115 times)
Jsteam
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Possible artifacts?
Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I have two specimens, I think one is a club head possibly and the other I don't know. About 4 ounce each and 3 to 4 inches tall on both, non magnetic in both. Any ideas? Thank you.

20230709_081800_002.jpg ( 530 KB | 9 Downloads )
20230709_081800_002.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Possible artifacts?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Okay, Jsteam, I've decided to reply to this picture in this section, because this 'might' be the best place for it.
It is a specimen, to be sure, and a darn good question, too. Wink

I'm replying on this picture because I think this one has more markings that can be perceived as "man-made" than the other one, but I don't think either one is a 'worked' artifact. And since you have been collecting Native American artifacts you know what I mean. There is always the possibility that they were 'curated'  or used by the NA for some personal purpose that could make them an artifact, but it would be more likely if they were found in context with other artifacts.
Just saying here and want to hear your reply, but they do not appear to be 'altered by man' to me. I'm guessing they're natural formations.
They look like old chunks of iron. The larger one that looks like an axehead or celt, has that raised rough exterior that does not appear to be chipped, ground, or smoothed at all. And this one has that weird spiral formation at the small end, but there is no sign of filing or smoothing in the grooves. This one also has some interesting marks along the upper right edge? You said it was hard enough that you can't make much progress with a file, and they are not magnetic?
Hematite is NOT naturally magnetic. Magnetite, which is an ore for iron and steel, IS naturally magnetic.
Iron Oxides, are not naturally magnetic, unless they are in combination with Magnetite.
So, my GUESS, is that these are Iron Oxide Concretions. They can be soft or hard as steel depending on their formation, and if they've been baking in a New Mexico sun!

Here's a link to a really good article about Iron Oxide Concretions. It is part of an article about Meteorites, which these concretions are often mistaken for.
https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/concretions/

Let me know what you think and anytime you want to go back and delete the posts of these that we aren't using, that would be great. Don't want folks thinking we're dissing you with an unanswered post! Smiley

IP Logged

Jsteam
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: Possible artifacts?
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I really appreciate your insite for these specimens I have always thought they are pretty cool as any collector knows when they collect, the knowledge you have shared brings me joy, I have always been amazed that the hard one was formed so uniform in shape, thanks again I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint