Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maybe a brain teaser, cowrie shell in Eastern KY? (Read 161 times)
Alina Rocks
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Maybe a brain teaser, cowrie shell in Eastern KY?
Jul 30th, 2023 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
This might be silly but I'd love to hear someone's thoughts on it. I found this cowrie/puka shell in a very rural creek in Eastern KY (Pike county). At the time I just thought there must be freshwater cowries, like the clam shells that litter that river too. I've since found out that isn't true. It's very matte and somewhat bone-y to the touch.

I'm not sure how to tell if it's a fossil or just an old shell! I've been looking into it and cowries don't line up with oceanic history of KY as far as I know. I know Native Americans used cowries for trading and decor so it could have traveled that way, maybe? I just find it really odd that this shell would be there at all. I don't recall if there were more like this one. I also can't find anything that looks similar in records of fossils found in KY before. Lots of mollusk in that area, none like this.

It sure does look a lot like the 3rd pic, which I found with this caption:

"Trona leporina calhounensis Dolin, 1991, from the Miocene Chipola Formation of Florida. The dorsal part of the fossil is missing to reveal the inner whorls of the juvenile shell."

It's also possible it fell off of some kid's puka shell necklace. Grin

photo_2023-07-30_19-26-04.jpg ( 153 KB | 4 Downloads )
photo_2023-07-30_19-26-04.jpg
photo_2023-07-30_19-34-09.jpg ( 42 KB | 6 Downloads )
photo_2023-07-30_19-34-09.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Maybe a brain teaser, cowrie shell in Eastern KY?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2023 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Well it seems you have already done your research. That's the thing about creeks and rivers, there's no telling how far it travelled -- and on top of that people lose and throw things away that end up in water ways. With regards to it being a fossil or not, from my research it looks like color patterns are usually missing from the shell but can sometimes be observed using UV light. That's about all I can contribute -- hopefully a more knowledgeable person will chime in.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2023 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Well done even recognizing that it was out of place, Alina! And as Scott said, it appears you have already done a lot of the research to solve this little enigma. Good job again!
As you mentioned, one can think of many scenarios about how this shell ended up in that creek but it's the little hole on the bottom side that makes me think a Native American association is most likely.
The shell native to the east coast of the US that was used as money, or 'wampum', was the now extinct Marginella shell. It was also called 'Roanoke' by the NA and was usually drilled thru the middle from the top to bottom. The Cowrie shell was used as “wampum” to the natives of Africa, and in the 18th century strands of Cowrie were brought to the US by Europeans as trade goods. That little hole on the bottom is one way they would 'drill' the shell to use as a bead.

Check out this link and see what you think, Smiley
https://www.mountvernon.org/preservation/archaeology/archaeology-online/object/1...

IP Logged

Alina Rocks
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2023 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I've learned to embrace the fact that things travel amazing distances in bodies of water, because my initial instinct is "This shouldn't be here and I don't like it" lol

Thank you for the replies, I like seeing other people think through things and I never would have thought to pursue the Native American aspect like that, plus I didn't realize the hole could be a feature not a defect.

That little creek has proven to be really cool, I think it branches very distantly off the Ohio river. My relatives thought I was crazy when I asked if I could go rock hunting in the little creek they used to dump refuse into before plumbing made it out there.  Grin

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Given your locality, it would not be the least bit surprising if there was a NA campsite along the creek somewhere. Keep your eye out for some stone artifacts and Happy Hunting. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint