Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possible slag/iron ore found in Lake Huron…??? (Read 102 times)
Yoto2211
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Possible slag/iron ore found in Lake Huron…???
Aug 25th, 2023 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I found this on the shoreline of Lake Huron (Michigan) between Rogers City and Cheboygan. I’ve been collecting rocks from Lake Michigan for many years, and only been hunting in Lake Huron a few times, also rock hunted in other states/South America, but I have never seen anything like this. It does appear to be a combination of maybe iron ore or some kind of rust-colored material with beautiful green and blue stones/pieces of slag glass/quartz (??????) but it definitely appears to be a mixture of a few different things. I attached front and back pictures, some in which the stone is wet.  Help please!

IMG_0327.jpeg ( 1993 KB | 10 Downloads )
IMG_0327.jpeg
IMG_0326.jpeg ( 1437 KB | 7 Downloads )
IMG_0326.jpeg
IMG_0325.jpeg ( 1729 KB | 8 Downloads )
IMG_0325.jpeg
IMG_0323.jpeg ( 1477 KB | 7 Downloads )
IMG_0323.jpeg
IMG_0321.jpeg ( 1575 KB | 6 Downloads )
IMG_0321.jpeg
IMG_0320.jpeg ( 1538 KB | 8 Downloads )
IMG_0320.jpeg

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Possible slag/iron ore found in Lake Huron…???
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Glad to hear you are getting out and looking at what's there where ever you are!
We have been getting a lot of folks on here lately that are being confused by the variety of colors that Quartz can be stained by mineral “oxides”.  This looks like a nodule of some form of quartz that has been heavily water-worn and rounded. The dark red stains down in the cracks and crevices would be Iron Oxides, or rust. The small blue area does show negative impressions of a mineral that has eroded away. The blue color can be caused by Iron oxides with more titanium content like Ilmenite. I can't see the green well enough in the pictures, but if you really want to take a closer look at this rock you would need to clean it in Oxalic acid or Iron Out.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Possible slag/iron ore found in Lake Huron…???
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 8:58am
Print Post  
I agree with Joe in that soaking it in an acid like Iron Out or oxalic acid will clean up the oxide stains so that the true colors will be more obvious. I don't see anything on that rock that would indicate it being slag or glass. We do find titanium minerals in NC that attribute that exact same hue of blue that you see on your rock, however, blue can be cause by a lot of different minerals -- even riebeckite. So finding out exactly what might be causing the blue might be difficult without chemical analysis.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint