Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Some very interesting tiny spheres (Read 40 times)
Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Some very interesting tiny spheres
Jan 23rd, 2024 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I did not realize how important these things were until after learning about that suevite and others like it. I can't believe that when I first came across these things, I would toss them. I figured that they were just too small to be of any importance, boy, was I wrong. Some of these things were found inside of rocks and some were found inside of soils sample.

8_010.JPG ( 119 KB | 1 Download )
8_010.JPG
9_009.JPG ( 287 KB | 2 Downloads )
9_009.JPG
10_007.JPG ( 464 KB | 1 Download )
10_007.JPG
11_005.JPG ( 155 KB | 1 Download )
11_005.JPG
12_003.JPG ( 189 KB | 1 Download )
12_003.JPG
13_002.JPG ( 179 KB | 2 Downloads )
13_002.JPG
14_002.JPG ( 160 KB | 2 Downloads )
14_002.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Some very interesting tiny spheres
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2024 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
From the Smoking Gun #1 to the Eureka Moment! Congratulations! Smiley

When looking at your pictures before I failed to notice these black blobs were spheres. And very well formed spheres at that! I am just beginning my research into Suevite, but have found no mention of these little critters yet. Have you any idea what mineral(s) it might be?

I am also curious if you have any idea about the date of the impact or if it is even recorded? I'm looking for impact zones in CA but most of the information has to with meteorites and where they were found, which could be quite removed from the impact zone. Looks like there's quite a bit of cross referencing to do. Tongue Wink

And what a cool glass mushroom! Thanks for the pictures.

IP Logged

Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Re: Some very interesting tiny spheres
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe. Some appear to be made of metal and some like the one in the last picture appear to be made of carbon. I have found a host of what I believe to be carbon spherule and I've also come across something that I can't find any info on at all. I found what I think are carbon fibers, little carbon sheets and something that I call carbon snowflakes. Based on the research that I've done there is no known event that can be connected to this material and there is no crater so, putting a date on this won't be easy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint