Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Highly compressed unknown mineral (Read 88 times)
Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Highly compressed unknown mineral
Jan 25th, 2024 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
When you look at this stone in the first photo, it leaves no doubt that it is just a piece of quartz. But when you look at it up closely you can see that it appears to have a simi-metallic luster and that it looks highly compressed. If you research the luster of quartz, you will find that the one luster that quartz is not ever found in is metallic, yet here we are. Also, the Mohs hardness of quartz is 7.0 and this stone appear to have a hardness of 9.0+. Okay, I paid good money for a Raman analysis, and it came back saying that the stone is quartz. I then sent it off to the GIA to see what they would come up with and they identified it as chalcedony. They did not send any info on its hardness, SP or RI so as of now it's just one very hard mystery. The composition of the stone is Si, O and C and I'm told that the C should not be there. Three such stone were found; this is the smallest one at about 2 carats. There's also a 10 carat and a 50 carat.

8_011.JPG ( 1957 KB | 4 Downloads )
8_011.JPG
9_007.jpg ( 69 KB | 3 Downloads )
9_007.jpg
10_005.jpg ( 86 KB | 5 Downloads )
10_005.jpg
11_005.jpg ( 63 KB | 7 Downloads )
11_005.jpg
12_003.jpg ( 63 KB | 3 Downloads )
12_003.jpg
13_003.jpg ( 69 KB | 2 Downloads )
13_003.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Highly compressed unknown mineral
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Natural quartz stones are never 100% silica so I would expect there to be other elements hanging out in there. You've had it professionally analyzed by twice yet you feel they are missing something? By all accounts and analysis (even my own) this is a quartz rock (chalcedony is quartz).

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Yes, Jay, chalcedony is a form of quartz that people love to debate. Smiley
Is it agate or chert or flint or jasper, that sort of debate. It can have many different appearances, colors and luster, caused by different mineral inclusions and the clear to white-ish forms are typically called chalcedony.
But as you say, Carbon ain't supposed to be in there.
You may have already found this in your own surfing of the net;

Can carbon dioxide and silica form a new material?
Scientists have created a new material by successfully combining for the first time, carbon dioxide and silica. The gas and solid were previously thought to be incompatible but under extremely high pressure and temperatures at the European Synchrotron, the ESRF, they combined to produce a hard, light carbon-rich crystal.

IP Logged

Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott and Joe for the info. I've read and been told that carbon should not be there, but it shows up in all of the quartz specimens from that area. I was able to cut off a small piece of the largest stone, so I had an xrd analysis done and it says that the stone is 97% quartz and 3% corundum.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Well, there's nothing too earth-shaking about the 3% corundum and that doesn't help establish this quartz as a "new mineral". Corundum is not carbon, so this seems like a little step backward. I don't know what happened to the initial Carbon signature? But all information is good. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint