Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hematite (Read 181 times)
JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Hematite
Feb 10th, 2024 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Because it is found EVERYWHERE, in one form or another, at first I quickly got tired of constantly having to settle on Hematite as the identification of my newly found mineral specimens. I wanted it to be something else,...something different for a change.
But as time goes on you learn to give credit where credit is due.

I recently read an article about Hematite by Steve Voynick in the current issue of "Rock and Gem". and,  as usual, learned a lot and it is well worth reading. I'm going to ad-lib a few points he made in the article.

Hematite has two basic forms; crystalline and particulate. The crystalline form is the shiny black form that we get tired of finding all the time and wish it could be something else. And the particulate form is basically red, like the red hematite included quartz crystals we see occasionally.
In his article,  Mr. Voynick, describes a basic scale for the different colors in quartz and chalcedony caused by particulate hematite.

Particle size of less than 0.1 micron are orange. Like the orange to light tan color we see in many Carnelian agates, etc.
0.1-0.5 micron particles are a rich red color.
Particles 1-1.5 microns appear purple, like some fine grained Specularite, and particles 1.5 microns and larger start to take on the shiny black reflection of crystalline Hematite.

I have simplified this scale but thought it was worth posting since we often wonder what is causing the color in quartz and chalcedony.
I highly suggest you read the whole article in the January/February 2024 Rock and Gem magazine.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Hematite
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing that. NC seems to be rich in hematite or ilmenite and we get so used to seeing it we kind of lump it all together. It's interesting though that the size of the inclusion has such a significant effect on color.  Between goethite, lepidocrosite, particulate hematite, specularite, and iron rich cacoxenite, it can be overwhelming to keep up with all of it. Sure would be nice to have my own personal x-ray diffraction analysis machine.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2024 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I want one, too! Wink

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Some Hematite from my place Treasure Valley.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Shoot, Buchshot, those are nice! I am assuming they are natural and that's the way you found them?

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
It's been a while since I found them but they are natural. I may have had them made into cabachons & polished.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2024 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Okay, yeah, they do look like cabs. I was thinking they were creek tumbled. Stunners!

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Heck with all the name variations. Let's just call it all Moylanite  Grin

IP Logged

Buckshot

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Yep !!  Sounds Good

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2024 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
HA! No, I don't think we want to go there, RickB. You can call my Chatham County Lime that if you want to. Wink

It's been interesting to me, tho, that when first starting out collecting rocks or artifacts, the most prolific and common ones are the ones you first find boring and tedious. But when you learn of all the different forms they can take all of a sudden they become the most interesting.
Like with rocks, at first I didn't think much about collecting quartz because it was everywhere and easy to find. But when you learn about the hundreds of different forms quartz, or silica, becomes, it becomes very interesting.
With artifacts it was the Guilford point. They were everywhere and actually got tired of finding them. Oh dang, another Guilford. And now, if I had to choose one point type to study, it would be the Guilford.
Crazy how we come Full Circle. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint