Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hello, New to this site. (Read 105 times)
Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Hello, New to this site.
Mar 21st, 2024 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Well I have a few hobbies, build scale aircraft models, restore old Datsuns and gardening. 61 and retired. Several years ago my then sister inlaw had to move her father out of the house he was living in. He'd lived there for years and was a rock hound. They had to empty the house PDQ so I picked up a ton of his stuff instead of it going in the dumpster.Two rock saws, tons of boxes full of rocks. Silver and tools for making jewelry. I've been slowly teaching myself how to work with silver and made some pieces with some of the polished rocks. Like to know more about some of the rocks and what can be done with them.Cheers.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Hello, New to this site.
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Hello Graham, Welcome to the Board! Thank you for the introduction.
Unfortunately that is an all too familiar story of how someone got into the rock hobby, but I'm glad you were there to salvage it And, actually, it's a great way to start. Trying to figure out what rocks you've got is a good way to learn. And we will be happy to help if you can post some pictures. Don't over do it all at one time. 3-4 at a time is good.

One word of warning to begin with, tho, is old rockhounds, like myself, tend to collect a lot of "Maybe" rocks. "Maybe" I'll try and do something with this rock one day. "Maybe" it will be interesting?
So I'm glad to hear you are a gardener because "Maybe" some of those rocks will be best used as a border for your garden.  Wink

Also, I'm curious what area of the country you reside in?
Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Welcome to the RHL Graham. Rocks were here before us and will be here long after we're gone and rockhounding is a great way to see their amazing story. Please feel free to post pictures of some of those rocks and we'll try our best to identify them.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I looked for a way to edit my post ? At any rate. I live in North Delta BC just south of Vancouver.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Well, I won't be looking for any local Southeast US or NC rocks to turn up in the collection. Smiley

Yes, I believe the "Modify" function to edit your posts expires after 24 hours?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint