Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The mystery rock (Read 235 times)
Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

The mystery rock
Mar 22nd, 2024 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
The mystery rock. The brown rock in the pictures that looks like it has bubbles on it. I was going to cut it in half but I was told it's more valuable as it is. At any rate no one seems to be able to identify it.

rocks__3_.JPG ( 888 KB | 8 Downloads )
rocks__3_.JPG

IP Logged

RickB

Re: The mystery rock
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Looks like botryoidal agatized Florida coral to me. BTW, welcome to the board.

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
That's some nice looking rock Graham.
At least you're on the west coast.
Central Idaho here.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2024 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Yes, two nice big pieces of Pet Wood ready to be finished for bookends in the back.
The piece with all the swirling circle patterns in front of the Pet Wood looks like the famous and rare Luna Agate from Mexico, although it would be nice to see it wet to see the colors better.
And as RickB said, the bumpy brown stuff is called Botryoidal Chalcedony, a fairly common agate formation when the rock has an opening to fill. But those are larger 'bumps' than you usually see. We would have to see more of that whole piece to say for sure but I really like RickB's guess about it being petrified or fossilized or agatized Florida coral.
If you would like us to guess on the 'green' piece, left side of group, we will need better pictures from a couple different angles. It might be a local rock to you out there?

IP Logged

Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2024 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
How do I post multiple pictures ? I can post a few more. No idea what kind of rock but I thought it looked like fossilized fungus or coral. It definitely appears to be from an organic source.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2024 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Hey Graham, To post more pictures,  to the left of the Browse box, just hit the little arrow after the word "Attachments" and another Browse box will appear. You can do that multiple times per post.

And I do believe RickB nailed it on the coral. It is called Withlacoochee River coral and starts in Southern Georgia and goes thru Florida.
Here's a link with pictures to compare;
https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/110534-agatized-coral-from-the-withlacooche...

IP Logged

Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 12:15am
Print Post  
That looks like the rock I have in a couple of pictures. I'll post some more. Could this be hollow ? Why was I told not to cut it in half ? Is it more valuable as it is ?

brown-rock__2_.JPG ( 4873 KB | 6 Downloads )
brown-rock__2_.JPG
brown-rock__1_.JPG ( 4535 KB | 9 Downloads )
brown-rock__1_.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Very hard to say which way would be more "valuable", Graham.
It's more rare for that coral to be solid inside. Most of those pieces do have a hollow cavity and there could be some interesting formations. But will that make it more valuable? It's a real nice specimen, with very large pretty round bumps on it. Might be able to get $50-60 for it as is.
Then again, if you cut it in half, and it's hollow you might get $80 or more?

It's a very pretty specimen as is and I don't know if having two halves would look any better? On this piece I would say the main reason to cut it would be to see and satisfy curiosity. But then you have to decide which way would be the best way to cut it? Might want to set it on the shelf for a while, take some offers, and cut some other rocks. You're getting a good lesson about being between a rock and a hard place! Wink

IP Logged

Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in selling it, well unless I found out it was some uber super rare rock worth hundreds ! I do really want to see what's inside it. I'll cut it and see. Shocked I wan't to get a rock polisher. Some of the stuff I have been making with the rocks I got that are polished.

mn__2_.JPG ( 867 KB | 7 Downloads )
mn__2_.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Glad to hear it, Graham! By all means, if you plan to keep it for yourself you will eventually have to know what's inside! Good luck and please show us what you find.
Thanks for the picture of your beautiful unique creations. Well done! Smiley

IP Logged

Jay2010

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
That rock with all of the bubbles is one cool looking rock, I bet it looks amazing on the inside, very nice find indeed!

IP Logged

Graham
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Well I just have to figure out a way to clamp it in the saw !

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Too funny, Graham, even tho I know it's no joke. I have a a couple pieces of that coral that are uncut for that very reason. I have been curious how you were going to end up cutting it. Smiley

You have a much better look at it than I do, but in your last picture of it above there is a broken bubble a little right of center. I might just cut it in half right through there and create two halves. Lots of times you will have to use pieces of wood as shims to hold whatever you're cutting in place. Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint