Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thanks Joe - Mookaite (Read 92 times)
RickB

Thanks Joe - Mookaite
Apr 23rd, 2024 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe. I finally decided to cut a piece of the mookaite that you sold to me at the Grassy Creek show in Spruce pine several years ago. Photo'd dry. Longest slab about six inches long.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Thanks Joe - Mookaite
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
You're Welcome and Thank You, Rick! Smiley
Glad to see you finally got around to slabbing it! That was quite a while ago. Wink Good looking slabs, lots of yellow. I will be very interested to see what you can do with them! Not sure, but I don't think heat-treating helps that jasper much? It's already very glassy and has a brittle fracture.
I've still got some Mook left, but have decided I won't be getting anymore. It's a very finiky rock fraught with hidden "issues". So, yes, best of luck with it and thanks for the picture. Can't wait to see your progress!

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:00am
Print Post  
A little progress - adding a photo of the preforms (wet). Will get to the end cuts at another time. I will heat treat these in a few weeks along with some FL coral. Temp will go to 450 degrees. Joe, heat treating really works good on the mookaite jasper. I trimmed these to get the cleanest parts I could. The largest and the next two larger ones will be the only ones suitable to make a knife with. Have done three knives from some other mook before. I will update this thread with a finished knife if I am able to produce one from it.

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #3 - Today at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Heat treated the mookaite jasper, kept the high temp at 525 degrees - this is the first blade from the batch.
The base is the chalky cortex part which will go into a knife handle

Finished this knife today. Southern live oak handle, mahogany obsidian blade.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint