Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Thanks Joe - Mookaite (Read 225 times)
RickB

Thanks Joe - Mookaite
Apr 23rd, 2024 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe. I finally decided to cut a piece of the mookaite that you sold to me at the Grassy Creek show in Spruce pine several years ago. Photo'd dry. Longest slab about six inches long.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Thanks Joe - Mookaite
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2024 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
You're Welcome and Thank You, Rick! Smiley
Glad to see you finally got around to slabbing it! That was quite a while ago. Wink Good looking slabs, lots of yellow. I will be very interested to see what you can do with them! Not sure, but I don't think heat-treating helps that jasper much? It's already very glassy and has a brittle fracture.
I've still got some Mook left, but have decided I won't be getting anymore. It's a very finiky rock fraught with hidden "issues". So, yes, best of luck with it and thanks for the picture. Can't wait to see your progress!

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:00am
Print Post  
A little progress - adding a photo of the preforms (wet). Will get to the end cuts at another time. I will heat treat these in a few weeks along with some FL coral. Temp will go to 450 degrees. Joe, heat treating really works good on the mookaite jasper. I trimmed these to get the cleanest parts I could. The largest and the next two larger ones will be the only ones suitable to make a knife with. Have done three knives from some other mook before. I will update this thread with a finished knife if I am able to produce one from it.

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2024 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Heat treated the mookaite jasper, kept the high temp at 525 degrees - this is the first blade from the batch.
The base is the chalky cortex part which will go into a knife handle

Finished this knife today. Southern live oak handle, mahogany obsidian blade.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2024 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Dang that's some fine work, Rick! Doesn't seem to matter what the rock is, your flaking is going to glide right through it! The Mook came out awesome! Smiley
How was that show you did a couple weeks ago?

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2024 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
JoeM wrote on May 7th, 2024 at 12:01am:
Dang that's some fine work, Rick! Doesn't seem to matter what the rock is, your flaking is going to glide right through it! The Mook came out awesome! Smiley
How was that show you did a couple weeks ago?

Thanks Joe. Had a great time helping my friend Eric. He sold one bottle for $450. I did a lot of talking to folks, met several serious artifact collectors and sold four knives. Every time I've done something like this there is always one or two folks that are seriously interested in flint knapping. Will post one final photo of that Mook blade. Worked on a handle for it this afternoon so it will be finished tomorrow

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2024 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Terrific work Rick! Well done!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

RickB

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2024 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Hafted the mookaite blade to a piece of Southern live oak today.
Think I'll keep this colorful skinning knife around for awhile.
Progression photos

Slab

Preform

Blade

Finished knife

....and a flint ridge blade
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2024 at 6:25pm by RickB »  

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2024 at 11:20am
Print Post  
That is a pretty little thing. Great colors! Looks even nicer with the handle. Yes, you might want to hold on to that one, at least until you get a couple more like it made.
I'm still amazed you got that Mook to flake all the way across like that. Me and most people would have nothing left but a handful of chips! Smiley

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2024 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Joe, I think others call what I'm doing an oblique parallel flaking pattern. I'm joining flakes from opposite edges together at a slight angle which makes it look like some of them are going all the way across the slab. I've been asked how I do this. Here's my reply:

"These knives were worked from slabs which give you a continuous platform. I use an Ishi stick with a quarter inch copper tip to work the edge on my first pass. Position each flake on the first pass appx 1/4 inch apart. I use both of my legs to steady and lock my wrists into and use my right leg to help push the flake out. Make sure to position the tip of the Ishi stick almost straight into and very close to the edge but not too far into the slab. This will keep the force near the surface of the slab instead of taking a deeper and much shorter flake by sending the energy into the rock instead of across it. Push real hard into that slab and use that right leg to push it off.

Many people will go down an entire edge of a slab then try to join up the opposite edge next. I don't do this. when I take a flake off of the right edge, I will switch over to the left edge and then join it together. This is done because if I have a short flake or error on one edge, I can use more force on the opposite edge to reach it. I try to join and overlap them a little which helps give you a clean surface. Sometimes you will get a slight step where the flakes join but when you make the second and last pass they can be cleaned up. This lets me go through an entire side with very little if any flat spots on the surface that need to be cleaned up on the second pass. I do this on both sides of the slab.

Before the second pass all of the ridges produced need to be heavily abraded down to get you back to a continuous platform. I don't use an Ishi stick for this second pass unless there is an issue way into the slab that needs more force to reach it. I have a smaller pressure flaker and do exactly what I did above except this time the edge is more narrow so I position the tip of the flaker close but not past the center of the edge, dig in and push off a flake using my right leg. The second pass is narrower at about 1/8 inch or a little more apart. After all edges are done I start at the tip and work my way down both edges, feathering in and sharpening."

Tools used:
Notched hand pad (a notched pad lets the flakes travel longer)
Ishi stick
Pressure flaker
abrader

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2024 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that explanation of your technique, Rick, that explains how you have such control over where and how the flakes run very well. It's all done with pressure flaking of one sort or another! I never considered not wacking at it for thinning at least a few times.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful works. Exceptional! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint