Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wood bark looking rock found near Knoxville TN (Read 161 times)
pekowski
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Wood bark looking rock found near Knoxville TN
Apr 26th, 2024 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Here is a cool rock I found in the hills near Farragut TN which is near Knoxville. I found it in a washed out logging road. Is it petrified wood? I'm no rock expert. I haven't been able to find anything like it on the internet.

IMG_3992.jpg ( 3340 KB | 12 Downloads )
IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg ( 3207 KB | 7 Downloads )
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg ( 3164 KB | 3 Downloads )
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3995.jpg ( 3197 KB | 2 Downloads )
IMG_3995.jpg
IMG_3996.jpg ( 3629 KB | 2 Downloads )
IMG_3996.jpg
IMG_3997.jpg ( 3312 KB | 2 Downloads )
IMG_3997.jpg
IMG_3999.jpg ( 3509 KB | 7 Downloads )
IMG_3999.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Wood bark looking rock found near Knoxville TN
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Very cool looking rock! A little gnarly.  Smiley
Sure looks like pet wood to me. Thanks for the pictures!

IP Logged

daves64

Rockaholic

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I'm thinking not petrified wood, but more like a differentially weathered limestone or hard sandstone. Put a small amount of white vinegar on one of the fresher broken sections & see if it bubbles or not. If it does, then it's most likely limestone. If not, then it's something else. But I honestly don't think that's pet wood. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

IP Logged

pekowski
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention, my son who has a degree in geology but not necessarily a rock enthusiast, haha, was stumped by what it was. He did have me put muratic acid on it and it did not bubble, so he said it wasn't limestone. My very poor internet research led me to chert, but none of the chert I've seen has that look. In the area I did find a geode, not that I know what that might mean, just saying.

IP Logged

pekowski
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I also posted this on a fossil forum and they didn't think it was petrified wood either: https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/141206-fossil-found-near-farragut-tn/#comme...

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Good question, Dave, and from what Pekowski says, we are not the first with questions.  Smiley
My first thought was of Limestone or some eroded indurated clay? but after studying the pictures, it looks silicated to me. And since Pekowski has tried an acid test I will have to stick with my "guess" that it's pet wood. I have seen petrified wood with that sort of etched surface before, even tho this example is more extreme than most. May have to cut a slab off one end for a closer look before we can say for sure?
From a Gnarly tree.  Smiley

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
So, when I looked at it this morning I did a google image search and found two sites where you posted an ID request. One was that fossil forum and I saw the request from someone to try the vinegar which eliminated some sort of deformed limestone. Without seeing it in person it's hard for me to tell what it is just from a photo. Does it have a grainy looking texture? I see banding and just by the photo I would lean in the direction of it as having begun as a sandstone. From the color it appears to have a high iron content. As hard as you say it is (Fossil Forum), I would think that it is highly silicified. Just taking a stab at it now - perhaps it began as a layered sandstone that was subjected to a lot of pressure which caused the compaction and deformation. There may not have been enough pressure and heat to alter it into a metamorphic rock but it may have come close.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2024 at 7:44pm by RickB »  

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, Rick, after doing a little more research I've come to the same 'probable' conclusion. Since petrified wood is not found in Knox County, the only other thing I can think of is "folding" of a layer of sandstone that was made from smaller silicified layers of sandstone. This does make more sense, but I would still like to see the flat surface on the right in the last picture slabbed off just to check for any growth rings.

IP Logged

pekowski
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies. My only other post was to the fossil forum. My son said he was going to post somewhere else. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Another thing about this rock. When submerged in water bubbles come out of it, not all over but multiple spots like pin holes for the air to escape. After being submerged for over 10 minutes one hole still has a stream of tiny air bubbles coming out.

I don't think the rock feels particularly granular.  I don't get the impression it has a lot iron. It is not magnetic.

Regarding that section, Joel, you suggesting cutting a section off of, it is the same flat spot as in the second picture. I don't see any wood rings. Do you think the rings might not be visible on the outside? Or maybe just more pronounced on the inside?

What could I use to cut it? I have an angle grinder. Should I look for a rock blade for it?

IP Logged

pekowski
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 1:07am
Print Post  
There is a lot of red clay in the area. I did a lot of washing to get those indented areas clean. Maybe, Rick, that is why it looks like it has iron content.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Yes, that is the surface I would suggest cutting. It kind of looks like a broken "branch" of the piece and cutting it would just flatten it smoother for a better view of the inside of the rock.
The section can't be more than a couple of inches in diameter, but that is still too large for most tile saws, and then the cut surface will probably have to be sanded and polished a little. I suggest you contact the folks at your local Knoxville rock club and see if they could help. A member of the club may want to take the project on.
Or your son may know someone that could do it.
Here's a link to the Knoxville club;
http://www.knoxrocks.org/

And they may be able to identify it immediately without doing any cutting.

IP Logged

pekowski
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Thank Joe (sorry for calling you Joel before), I live in Austin TX, but travel often to Knoxville to visit family. I love hiking the hills there. I will look for the Austin rock club.

IP Logged

RickB

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2024 at 10:05am
Print Post  
pekowski wrote on Apr 27th, 2024 at 1:07am:
There is a lot of red clay in the area. I did a lot of washing to get those indented areas clean. Maybe, Rick, that is why it looks like it has iron content.

Probably iron staining from the red clay then as red clay has a high iron content which gives it it's color. A magnet will not be attracted to the rock or the clay even though it has iron oxide content or coating. Some info on red clay below.

"The discussion of properties leads to a recognition that red clay is really a mixture of two main components: an iron oxide component that gives the clay its color and a clay component that gives the clay its slippery feel."

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/document/ybc-redc.pdf
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2024 at 5:45pm by RickB »  

IP Logged

IDLassie

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2024 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Well what ever it is it is a nice conversation.
Someone offers a nice price grab and run. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint