Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Quiz Time, Folks (Read 4619 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

Quiz Time, Folks
Apr 28th, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Alright Boys and Girls.  Put your thinking caps on and tell me the locality for each of these NC kyanite specimens.  Partial credit will be given for the county only, and a hearty congratulations for the mine or prospect, as well as county.  Hint: all specimens are from different localities, and I only know the county (no locality) for one.  (Joe, you should have an advantage because you have seen all of them before.)

Good luck.  The answers will be tallied and the localities will be revealed Saturday at some point.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Quiz Time, Folks
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Oh Boy! A Quiz! Smiley

Great pictures and nicely presented, Dennis. If you think I
have an advantage because I've seen them once or twice
before, think again! Yes I remember seeing them, but can't
even remember where you said they were from. Especially
that last piece!  Wink

Anyway, I will make a stab at it and hope I get at least
one right.

1. Walker Creek, Buncombe Co.
2. Balsam Gap, Buncombe Co. (Stunning Color!)
3. Yancey Co.
4. Yancey Co.
5. I remember being really surprised when you told me where
   this was from, but can't remember where you said, so
    I'm going to guess, Wake Co.

Total guesses, Dennis. Great specimens, tho, and I look
forward to seeing the answers.
Joe

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Nice try, Joe.  You got one partially correct, but I won't reveal which one until others give their opinions.

After I posted the photos I realized that I would be stumped trying to identify them without owning them and knowing their localities and histories.  So, to make it somewhat easier, I've decided to make it a matching quiz.

Below are the five locations that you need to match to the specimen photos in the first post:

A.  Macon Co., NC (locality not known)

B.  Meeper Mine (Walker Creek Kyanite site), Buncombe Co., NC  (Possibly the Balsam Gap Mine....I will discuss later)

C.  Stony Hill, Wake Co., NC

D.  Cattail Mine (Isom Mica Mine), Yancey Co., NC

E.  Mas-Celo Mine, Yancey Co., NC

Good luck.  I will reveal the winner and answers Sunday instead of tomorrow.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2011 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
All right, Dennis. I don't know where the boys are this weekend
but I'll give it one more try. I hope you haven't made it
too easy now. Wink

I still want to call #5 Wake Co, but from your hint that doesn't
seem to be correct so I'll guess again. And I still want to
say the beautiful blue of specimen #2 is from Walker Creek
even tho that is probably too obvious, and wrong.

1. Cattail Mine, Yancey Co.
2. Meeper Mine,ie;Walker Creek,ie;Balsam Gap, Buncombe Co.
3. Macon Co.
4. Stony Hill, Wake Co.
5. Mas-Celo Mine, Yancey Co.

And the prize goes to...........................
Hey, what is the prize anyway? Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2011 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Alright, the quiz has ended.  I am getting ready to head out of town on a project tomorrow in Transylvania Co. so I wanted to let Joe know that he is the winner (since no one else tried to ID the kyanite specimens.

Great job, Joe, you got 3 of the 5 correct, missing only the first and last.  I'll have to see what I have to give you as an appropriate prize.  I have a whole back yard full of Azeztulite, but I think I will save it for an ultimate grand prize for a future quiz.

Here are the IDs:

1. Mas-Celo Mine, Yancey Co.

2. Meeper Mine (Walker Creek), maybe Balsam Gap Mine (Luther Thomas Mine), Buncombe Co.

3. Macon Co.

4. Stony Hill, Wake Co.

5. Cattail Mine (Isom Mica Mine), Yancey Co.

Here is an explanation for the slight confusion I have for specimen #2.:

I acquired this specimen from Terry Ledford in 1989 and he told me he collected it in Buncombe Co. near the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I was not familiar with any of the Buncombe Co. kyanite sites at that time, but was familiar with the Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey county sites.  When I started to research it years later I found out about the Meeper Mine (Walker Creek Kyanite site), which is just north of, and very close, to the parkway. 

The mineral list I found for this site listed Schorl as an associate. This specimen has a 1.4 x 0.8 inch Schorl crystal (see photo below) on the backside, so I was convinced it came from the Meeper Mine.

Well, it was not too many years later that I started reading about the Balsam Gap Mine just south of, and very near to, the parkway on Glassmine Creek.  This site is listed in Dana as having Emeralds (green beryl?); Schorl is, also, an associate.  Luther Thomas started collecting at this site extensively many years ago, pulling out incredible and large kyanite specimens.  Years later Terry Ledford, also, collected kyanite at this site; a fact that Rick Jacquot reminded me of a couple of months ago.

It is strictly forbidden to collect at this site today.  It is part of the Asheville Watershed and highly protected.  There are signs on the parkway that says No Parking, Standing, or Walking along this area of the road.

I plan to contact Terry at some future date and see if he recognizes the specimen in question.  Here is a photo of the Schorl on the rear of the Kyanite specimen (Kyanite crystal is 3.1 x 1.7 x 0.5 inches):

I will come up with future quizzes if that is something the forum members would like to see.  It would be great if we could get Laurie and others to come over to this forum and join in the fun.

Peace,

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2011 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Cool Dennis. Thanks for the quiz. Very well done.
The multiple choice made it more possible and interesting.

So I got the Yancey Co specimens turned around. Not too bad.
I had to stick with that blue in #2 as being from the
Walker Creek/Balsam Gap area. Thanks for the clarification
on the sites. I have often wondered if the two localities
were actually one and the same. And I have some nice
tourmaline I collected from Walker Creek that I have not
cut, but have always thought it was a little higher grade
than schorl. Don't know if i want to cut it to find out. Wink

JoeM

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2011 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Oh man! I was just about to put in my guesses and realized the quiz already ended.  I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.  Great quiz Dennis.  I really enjoy how they get you thinking.  It's a great exercise for being able to identify speciemens based on appearance -- which can be incredibly useful for mislabeled or unlabeled specimens.  Great photography as usual!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Dang! Sorry I missed this quiz. Very interesting and beautiful specimens.

What is the deal with the Cattail mine? Is this still accessible? What about the Macon county location? Anybody want to go hunting?  Cheesy

It seems to me the tourmaline from the Meeper mine is Dravite, or the brown variety and very pretty. I think that is pretty consistent for that site and would be a good "fingerprint" for identification, if this is true.

Joe, wouldn't that be beautiful to have the dravite and blue kyanite next to each other on a cab or something? So pretty!

I LOVE kyanite! Thanks for showing.
Rebecca

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

I'm glad you liked the kyanite photos.  I've taken a short hiatus away from the mineral hobby due to other commitments, but I will do another quiz in the future.

As far as I know, the Cattail Mica Mine (Isom Mica Mine) is still accessible, but it would be best to see if it is on Forest Service property, and inquire if it is off limits.  From what I have read about it, the hike is a long one, and the altitude gain from the vehicle to the mine is fairly steep because the mine is over 5000 feet in elevation (5200-5400').  Kyanite can be found along the old road and trail to the mine, so one might not have to hike the entire way.

I don't have the Macon Co. locality for the light blue specimen I posted.  I bought it in a shop near Franklin in the mid 1980s and the card only said Macon Co. on it.  Kyanite is known from a number of places in Macon Co., so it could have come from any one of them.

Dennis

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Thanks so much for the information Dennis. I am going to check it out for sure. I really really love kyanite and a good hike to get it is always worth it.

This hobby can take a lot of time simply because there is so much to know and so many places to go. When I get a chance, I will research Cattail and then go. I will let you guys know what I see. I am very excited about seeing a new trail, especially one that sits on top of a bunch of pretty kyanite.

Thanks again. And the quizzes are great: good way to learn and see things that may never be seen otherwise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint