Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Durham, GA Coal Fields (Read 16855 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

Durham, GA Coal Fields
Feb 17th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Here is a shot of a few plant fossils I collected at the old coal mines near Durham, Walker & Dade counties, GA from 1988-1991.  The fossils are in the coal shale that formed between seams of coal.  The various coal mines are located nearly on the county line.

It was some of the easiest collecting I ever did.  The fossil shale over burden was about 15-20 feet high in long ridges, with trees growing on them.  Just scramble up the slope and dig down between the trees with the rock hammer and pull out slabs of shale.  Take a flat edge screw driver and pry the layers apart, or tap gently with the rock hammer, and voila, you've exposed a fossil that was about 300 million years old.

Durham_GA_ferns.jpg ( 160 KB | 220 Downloads )
Durham_GA_ferns.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Durham, GA Coal Fields
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
And I certainly love easy collecting.  Have you identified some of the plants or ferns in those rocks and are they extinct?

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Scott,

Yes, I have been able to get some IDs on most of them, but not down to species.  Here is some info on the Age and types of plants that have been found at this locality:

Durham, Walker County, Georgia

Pennsylvanian Age (325 to 286 million years ago), Rockcastle Formation (Pottsville Series of Georgia and is of Lower Pottsville age)

Plant Fossils:

Lycopods such as Lepidodendron
giant horsetails such as Calamites (and its leaves known as Annularia)

Pteridosperms (seed ferns) such as:
Pecopteris: Pennsylvanian Age – (Order:)
Alethopteris: Pennsylvanian Age - (Division: Pteridospermatophyta; Order: Medullosales; Family: Alethopteridaceae)
Neuropteris: Pennsylvanian Age - (Division: Pteridospermatophyta; Class: Pteridospermatopsida; Order: Medullosales; Family: Neurodontopteridaceae)
Archeopteris: Upper Devonian to Lower Carboniferous - (Kingdom: Plantae; Division: Progymnospermophyta, Order: Archaeopteridales; Family: Archaeopteridaceae)

tree fern–like plants called Sigillaria

All of the plants are extinct, but they have modern day relatives like the Lycopods, Horse-tails, ferns, and tree ferns (no seed ferns exist today).

The photo shows only one half of one shelf.  There is a second shelf that has more seed ferns and additional plant fossils from that locality.  I collected over 200 pounds of the fossils during 5 visits over 2-3 years.  I used the fossils to trade for some nice Arkansas quartz specimens and the Stanley Butte quartz I posted earlier, and I gave many away over the years. 

I stopped collecting there because the property changed hands and my favorite reclaimed (by Nature) shale piles became picked over.  The locales would drive up to the locality and fill up their pickups with the low grade coal that still could be found to use in their coal stoves.

A few miles south at another old coal mine a piece of shale was found that contained an amphibian trackway.  I saw photos of it and it was great -- extinct salamander tracks covered one side of the shale.  I never had that kind of luck!

Dennis

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Well you have certainly done your homework when it comes to identification of those fossils.  Its fascinating to know those fossils are extinct.  Thanks for all the info.  Can fossils be found in the coal as well?  If so it's hard to imagine how many unique and wonderful fossils that have been burned in stoves!   Shocked

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Those are pretty. Bug & worm fossils not so pretty - plants, flowers, ferns = pretty.

Too bad you can't go there anymore. I think there is a place around Chattanooga, TN that had some interesting fossils in shale.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Just returned from three days in the South Carolina Low Country.  I gave my new hip a good workout and managed to walk for 1-2 miles per day.   I assisted the researcher from U of SC in Columbia with the rattlesnake study she's been doing in Hampton, Beaufort, and Colleton counties for the past 8 years.  I found the only diamondback rattlesnake of the trip, the first for me in 5 years.  It was great fun. 

A colleague of mine found a nice broken Paleo point (either a Clovis or Redstone) at a site we searched for rattlers in Beaufort Co.  It is from Allendale Chert from the aboriginal quarries along the Savannah River in Allendale Co., SC. This chert is identical to what rockhounds refer to as Savannah River agate. Photos will be posted in a different topic area in a few days.

Scott:  Coal is actually the fossil plants that has undergone extreme heat and pressure (pure carbon).  I've seen very few recognizable fossils in actual coal.  The plant fossils are the parts of plants that did not get consumed by the actual swamps that filled with plants that became coal.  These parts were probably on a higher portion of terrain and became fossils when they were covered with thinner mud layers which became shale that formed under the similar geological conditions of heat and pressure.  It's amazing how many small plant parts (leaves, stems, bark, etc.) that can be found in the thin layers of the shale.

Rebecca:  This is probably the same locality that you mentioned as being near Chattanooga.  This site is less than 20 miles from Chattanooga, just inside the GA state line.  Rick Jacquot has led a MAGMA trip there in the past.  You might contact him for info on landowners and visitation protocols.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the great information here, Dennis.
Glad you had a good get-a-way south of the border.
Congratulations on finding the snake, I guess, I mean if that's
what you were trying to do. Undecided
Do you have some sort of a whistle for them or do you
just go, "Here Snakey Snake Snake". Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint