Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New from NC (Read 1079 times)
Alina
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

New from NC
May 7th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I got a very wonderful invitation from Joe to come check this place out, so I did.  I'm from North Carolina these days, and I'm just getting into rock hounding, mostly as it applies to flintknapping and lithic tool assemblages.

It never fails in my life that whenever I decide something is boring and not for me, a few years down the road that's what I'm spending my free time doing.  I never liked geology in school, never saw much use for it, and now I'm doing archaeology and flintknapping, and I suddenly wish I hadn't thought geology was boring all those years ago.  Oh well, I've just got a lot of catching up to do is all.

I'm really interested in learning to identify knappable stone from my native region, but I wouldn't mind learning about other regions as well.  I'm going up to New England for an archaeological dig next month and if I can sneak some side-trips out to New England rock sites, all the better.  I'm also interested in learning more about tool types used by Native Americans.  I've learned a little bit of lithic typology here in North America, but most of my focus has been on paleolithic stuff from Africa, the Levant, and Europe.

I love primitive weapons, especially atlatls, bows, and slings, but pretty much any primitive weapon will do, so I spend quite a bit of time making those as well.  As I get better with my knapping, I hope to do more and more of that with stone tools rather than metal ones.

Anyway, nice to be here, I hope I learn a lot!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: New from NC
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Welcome to the Board, Alina Smiley
I'm glad you decided to sign in because I'm already looking
forward to the fieldtrip reports on the dig you will be going on
next month. Wink

Look forward to meeting you,
Joe

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Welcome to RHL Alina.  Better too late then never -- an overused cliché, but eternal truth.  Geology is a whole new fascinating universe that never ceases to amaze me with all of its wonders.  So it is good that you have a taste of it because it may bring you enlightenment within the other fields archaeology and flintknapping as well.

New England has a very rich geologic history and you will certainly find interesting rocks there.  It would behoove you to find some time for those "side trips" to collect while you're there.

Glad you came, and hope you are able to learn, contribute, and participate.   Grin
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2012 at 7:55pm by Scott LaBorde »  

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Welcome Alina! I too will be very interested in hearing your tales, seeing field trip pics, and learning from you. I am especially excited to see a woman that makes weapons! Weapons and all tools and the ontology of them are so fascinating to me. Lately, I seem to want to focus on food and medicinal vessels, bowls, tools, etc.
Don't know if ontology is what I mean, kind of like ontogeny, but they aren't biological.  Cheesy  Wink

IP Logged

Alina
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2012 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the welcome guys.  I look forward to begging for IDs as soon as the weather clears up and I can do a little hunting.

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Lounge.  We need more folks from NC.  You are in for a never ending adventure as you learn new things about geology and all the wonderful minerals. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint