Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fieldtrip to the Museum (Read 19401 times)
John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Fieldtrip to the Museum
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2012 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Joe wonderful report and pics! Nice to hear that they were showing meteorites. Most of the outstanding meteorites from North Carolina are in the museum. Plus the rutilated specimen from Hiddenite is off the chart. Now the spheres are very exciting. On my list of things to do next time in Raleigh. Cheesy Wink Cheesy

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
What better way to recover from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever than go visit the new Museum wing today.  Amy and I decided to go see the emerald and hiddenite (Terry Ledford's finds) display and try to take some photos.  The exhibit is on the first floor of the new building, and the specimens are incredible, to say the least.  Try as I might, I could not get a focused shot of the 65 ct. cut emerald because it revolves.  Plus, the lighting made it difficult to get the accurate green color of the specimens to transfer to my camera.

The following photos are: the overall exhibit, the 1225 ct. crystal, 686 ct. crystal, 592 ct. crystal, and the nice hiddenite in matrix piece.

Dennis

Hiddenite_emeralds.jpg ( 253 KB | 143 Downloads )
Hiddenite_emeralds.jpg
1225_ct_emerald_e.jpg ( 96 KB | 150 Downloads )
1225_ct_emerald_e.jpg
686_ct_emerald_a.jpg ( 71 KB | 135 Downloads )
686_ct_emerald_a.jpg
592_ct_emerald_a.jpg ( 77 KB | 139 Downloads )
592_ct_emerald_a.jpg
Hiddenite_in_matrix_d.jpg ( 225 KB | 148 Downloads )
Hiddenite_in_matrix_d.jpg

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
As Joe did, we visited the older museum to look around.  Since I worked at the museum from 1996 to 2004, it brought back some nice memories.  I photographed some of the specimens that they house in their underground exhibit, and was a little disappointed that one of the showcases had been removed that displayed some nice NC specimens.

Here are a few of the better shots that I got:

1. One of the original hiddenite specimens that William Hidden gave the museum in 1905.

2. Three Alexander Co. emeralds (color did not show properly).

3. A nice golden beryl from Mitchell Co.

Dennis

First_Hiddenite_card.jpg ( 102 KB | 135 Downloads )
First_Hiddenite_card.jpg
Hiddenite_emeralds_2012.jpg ( 148 KB | 152 Downloads )
Hiddenite_emeralds_2012.jpg
NC_yellow_beryl_d.jpg ( 160 KB | 133 Downloads )
NC_yellow_beryl_d.jpg

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
The last area I visited was the Naturalist Center in the new wing, which was moved from the older building.  I wanted to see if they still had some of the specimens that I donated prior to the 2000 opening of the museum.  I found several of my old specimens, and one in particular I wish I still had.

I collected the following specimen in 1965, and although it is not a particularly handsome piece, it was the largest beryl that I found at a rare Mitchell Co. locality.  The crystal shows several areas where it had rehealed from cracks made after crystalization.

The last specimen was given to me by a friend who found it in New York in the early 1980s.  I wish I had this one back, too.  It is Tremolite var. Hexagonite (lilac colored).

Enjoy,

Dennis

J_McKinney_beryl_g.jpg ( 153 KB | 139 Downloads )
J_McKinney_beryl_g.jpg
J_McKinney_beryl_f.jpg ( 200 KB | 128 Downloads )
J_McKinney_beryl_f.jpg
J_McKinney_beryl_c.jpg ( 194 KB | 119 Downloads )
J_McKinney_beryl_c.jpg
NY_Hexagonite_b.jpg ( 156 KB | 130 Downloads )
NY_Hexagonite_b.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #19 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pics, Dennis!
First floor of the new building. I walked across to the new
building on that enclosed walkway and only got down to the
first floor on my way out. Must have missed the emerald
display. I do remember looking at all the marble in the floor and
steps! Thanks for locating it for us. Your pics are great but I
think it would probably be worth another trip just to see the
faceted stone. Wink

Well, I bet you do wish you had that big Mitchell Co Beryl in
your cabinet at home, but just think of everyone that gets
the chance to look at it now. That's a whopper alright!

The two Hiddenite specimens are very nice. The one from
William Hidden and the one in matrix. Thanks for the pics.

And now I'm going to guess that you got the tick bite
while on your "recuperative" walk in SC. How long have you
had the symptoms? I hope you didn't get the fever too bad.

Good to hear from you and that you're feeling better.
Joe

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #20 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Joe,

I actually found the ticks (2 small seed ticks) imbedded on April 24 after doing DOT field work in Burke Co.  I did not start feeling any symptoms until May 25 (extremely sore muscles and joint pain and weakness).  Since it was the Memorial Day weekend, I did not get to the doctor until Tuesday, May 29.  I asked the doctor to have my blood drawn and tested for any tick borne diseases.  They ran tests for Lyme Disease and two for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  I got the results last Thursday (May 31) and immediately started the antibiotics.  I go back in two weeks to have my blood checked to see if I am cleared.  I would not wish this on anyone.  It's the weakest and worst I have felt in over 10 years.

The emeralds are very nice.  It's great that they stayed in NC where they belong.  The new museum wing is nice, but I wonder how much the general public will get out of the complex research topics that are presented.  The Daily Planet Cafe is great.  Amy and I ate lunch there today and the food was very good.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #21 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Very, very interesting, Dennis. I was curious about your symptoms.
I find it very hard to recognize "extreme" or "abnormal" fatigue,
sore muscles and joint pain. It really depends on what kindof
activities I have been doing the days previous. And all those
"symptoms" seem to get worse every year. Wink
And, I understand, it also does make a difference "where" you
contacted the ticks. There seems to be areas where there
are more disease carrying ticks than other areas.
I guess the only thing you can do to be sure is what you did
and go to the doctor and have some blood tests.
With an outdoor lifestyle I really don't know how anyone
can avoid being bitten sooner or later.
I hope the antibiotics kick in and you are feeling better soon.

Also, interesting comment on the new museum wing. I heard
a lot of people complaining about the presentations, and,
at first, I wasn't that impressed. But if you take the time to
press a few buttons and read, quite a bit, I thought the
exhibits were very well done and informative. The main
problem being, how many people are going to take the time
to read about it?

IP Logged

John Frazier

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #22 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Dennis great pics! Thanks for the additional pics from the new exhibits.  Hope you are feeling much better. Smiley

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
(I missed this post before, but it should be revisited). Wow!!!!! You guys have a really really nice museum over there. And you can go there all the time, Joe! That would be a weekly trip for me. I have to drive over an hour to Gray Fossil Museum. It is nice to have, but dang! First, the pics aren't that bad, the glass is always a problem. There are too many awesome things over there to comment on.
Dang! Though all I am thinking is I have got to get back up to the Ray. Such beautiful mineral specimens come from NC! The kyanite made me cry, but I am loving those big spheres! It is just a great way to represent those materials. And what is the big fossil in the first pic? Was that guy found in NC? Also, the gemmy minerals are all so divine, but I can't stop looking at that desert glass. Is that a meteorite? Or is it glass fused/created from an impact? Hey! I didn't know Hexagonite was found in NC too. See? Too much stuff to comment on. And those aquas! Emeralds are nice, and aquas are too.  Wink

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

The hexagonite was found in New York.  I don't think it has ever been recorded in NC. 

I've been wanting to get over to the Gray Fossil Museum, but I don't get into that area of TN often.  It's on my list, though.

Dennis

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #25 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Thanks Dennis! I was wondering because I thought that was the most notable thing about hexagonite - being that it was only found in one location (I thought). And I thought I had a point to that I was looking forward to debating with John Makahon.   Cheesy
Why are they showing a piece from NY in their collection on display when they have all this incredible stuff from NC to display? I absolutely love the handwritten card from 1905 with the first hiddenite found. I can't believe they wouldn't have that on a permanent display. I have to go here!
The Gray Fossil site and Museum is great! And all due to the discovery of those fossils, now there is a whole new academic department added to ETSU. That is just fabulous! The museum is really nice and has lab space, and is located adjacent to the actual the site the fossils were/are found. There are some cool rocks out front too. This used to be such a rural area, but Johnson City has started to spread too. In this case, it is a positive development and injects a great amount of science. I advocate that everybody go here and help support the place. They have cool patches too.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #26 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

If you go back and re-read my post you will see that I donated the beryl and hexagonite specimens pictured above to the museum's Natural Center in the winter of 1999-2000. 

I worked at the NCSM from 1996 to 2004 as the Coordinator of Living Collections, and helped design and set up exhibits and holding areas for the live animals for the new museum that opened in 2000.  I needed to downsize my personal mineral collection due to lack of space at home and I gave a bunch of specimens to the museum. 

My wife and I visited the new museum research wing, so I went to the Naturalist Center to visit my old specimens and took photos of them.  The Naturalist Center has natural history specimens from all over, some displayed and some in drawers.  The NC beryl was on display in the NatCenter and the hexagonite was kept in a drawer.  I pulled it out to photograph it.

Dennis

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #27 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Dennis, thanks for the great pictures and information behind them.  It good to know that you have contributed to science by your generous donations, not to mention what you have contributed to RHL.   Cool

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #28 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
That is really cool of you Dennis.
When I first saw your pictures, I really didn't see the where you mentioned you donated these specimens. I sincerely apologize for offending you, or anybody.
Sincerely,
Rebecca
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2012 at 9:30pm by Rebecca »  

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
A few of us "old fogeys" remember the incredible stuff that was in the museum 40 to 50 years ago when we were kids.  The vast majority of these were stolen, pilfered, lost.  The stuff they have now is nice, but can't compare with the old stuff.  No one was ever caught that I know of, and nothing ever recovered.  Don't know if it was curators or just employees, but it's always pissed me off and made me sad.  Do you have any inside dope on this Dennis?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint