Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fieldtrip to the Museum (Read 19408 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

Re: Fieldtrip to the Museum
Reply #30 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Rebecca -- You did not offend me at all, my hide's tougher than a rhino's.  I ramble sometimes when I post and my statements are not clear sometimes.

Scott -- thanks for the kind words.  As you've seen over the years, I like to tell a story (history) about the specimens I post photos of, and probably offer more info than is needed sometimes.

Laurie -- I remember the museum's rock and mineral collection from my childhood days.  When I started working there in 1996 I was very disappointed to find out that the majority of the collection was either stolen or tossed out.  I was thrilled that SAS, and others, donated some very nice specimens to the museum in 2004, some of which can be seen in the NC Underground-Geology section on the second floor of the main museum.  If any current staff knows anything about the whereabouts of the specimens, noone is talking.

Dennis

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #31 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Thank you for being gracious, Dennis. My comment was short-sighted, to say the least. There is a huge amount of work contributed to make a museum live, and I wasn't thinking in those terms.
That story about the missing specimens is intriguing! It has all the elements of a fantastic novel - even without an ending. In reality it is alarming to think about the implications and how vulnerable all those items are to an insider... or an international ninja thief.  Grin

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #32 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Just wanted to bump this up so Collin could see there's
already a post on Raleigh's Natural Science Museum that can always be added to. Wink
I'm all in favor of seeing pics from the different museums around the state!
I seldom make the time to stop and view the collections in person.

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #33 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Dang!  Somehow I missed this one too!   Huh

Thanks for the bump Joe!  You did a nice job with all the pictures!

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Raleigh Museum Pics
Reply #34 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Saw that Laurie had asked about these in another thread.  I've been to the Museum 3 or 4 times and the display cases have looked the same each time.  Unfortunately some of the cases did not have the lights on them.  The ones with the lights off have been off each time, not sure why though.

Anyways, I took these pictures a while back.  They really have some nice NC Specimens.  The Lincoln County specimens are supreme!  Guessing the "Pineapple" cluster is from the Reel.   Cheesy

Enjoy!

-Collin

RM1R.jpg ( 181 KB | 141 Downloads )
RM1R.jpg
RM2R.jpg ( 188 KB | 164 Downloads )
RM2R.jpg
RM3R.jpg ( 119 KB | 150 Downloads )
RM3R.jpg
RM4R.jpg ( 213 KB | 157 Downloads )
RM4R.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: Raleigh Museum Pics
Reply #35 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Yes, that Amethyst is classic Reel Mine growth form.  I would love to donate a specimen or two from my NC collection, but then what if it goes in one of those unlit cases.   Angry  Still good to see those specimens again.  Thanks Collin.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #36 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I agree with you Scott!  Would be bummed to see a personally collected specimen in the museum without the lights.  In fact, I've heard some peoples donations do not make it out to the cases.  They might have a bunch of stuff stored in the back right now.

There were several other glass cases that I did not get pictures of.  Next time I go, i'll try and get the rest and add them to this thread.

-Collin

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #37 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Collin,

I worked at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences from 1996 to 2004 as Coordinator of Living Collections.  I was hired to help develop and design exhibits, holding areas, and programs for the museum's live animal collection.  The staff designers of the museum architect firm contracted to design the the new museum (the current one that opened in 2000) were totally opposed to having "collections" on exhibit.  Their feeling was that exhibiting collections like rocks and minerals, taxidermied animals, and dinosaur mounts were "old fashioned."  Their expertise were designing interactive museums like "hall of fame blah, blah, blah" museums that kids and some adults could  touch exhibits, pull on moveable panels, or see videos (talking heads).  No matter how much the staff explained that NC had one of the earliest mining histories (and state geological surveys) in the nations went into deaf ears.

The current mineral displays were added after the big gem and mineral exhibit was held in the museum's travelling exhibit hall.  The specimens displayed in this exhibit included those of the museum's and those loaned from private collections.  This exhibit proved very popular.  After the the next travelling exhibit was getting ready to be set up, the mineral exhibit was removed, but several of the private people donated many top quality specimens to the museum, among them SAS in Cary. 

One stipulation for getting the specimens was that the majority had to be exhibited.  The current mineral cases were set up in the Underground NC Exhibit area where they are today.  I won't make any excuses for the museum, but the current legislative body and governor are staunch anti environment types, and this includes natural history.  Recently, our lawmakers have bunched all museums under the same department for oversight.  What this means is, the museum and all aquariums were removed from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and placed under Cultural Affairs.  Budgets have been slashed, including staff, so there's no wonder that things have gone downhill.

The museum's mineral collection is extensive, but lack of exhibit space, manpower, and money keeps them in boxes on shelves in off exhibit areas.  Welcome to the real world of, "if it don't make money it ain't worth nothing."

Dennis

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #38 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Here are additional specimens displayed at the museum.

Hiddenite_emeralds_001.jpg ( 253 KB | 154 Downloads )
Hiddenite_emeralds_001.jpg
Vance_Black_aqua_2012b.jpg ( 108 KB | 156 Downloads )
Vance_Black_aqua_2012b.jpg
Cleveland_fluorapatite_Foote_Mine.jpg ( 185 KB | 148 Downloads )
Cleveland_fluorapatite_Foote_Mine.jpg
Iredell_Amity_Hill_Amethyst.jpg ( 165 KB | 151 Downloads )
Iredell_Amity_Hill_Amethyst.jpg

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #39 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the information Dennis!  And the pics are great!

Bummer to hear that budgets have been slashed!  Every time I go in, there are tons of people there.  If they charged a dollar or two, maybe it would help the mineral displays.

Thanks
-Collin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint