Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Richmond County (Read 10170 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Richmond County
Nov 9th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
This post is from rockytoprockshop:

Richmond County, NC

"Here is a sample of some minerals from Richmond County, NC an area that has received very little rockhounding but holds potential. Below are some minerals found here:

pic xx247.jpg (schrol needles on quartz from the Cordova community)
pic xx248.jpg (large quartz xl from northern Richmond County)
pic xx249.jpg (limonite pseudo xls from the Slate Rock area)
pic xx250 and 011.jpg (epidote on feldspar from Cordova community)
pic xx251.jpg (xlline blue/gray corundum from the Blewett Falls area and a rare purple/blue crystal from the Midway Pond excavation)
pic xx253.jpg and 019.jpg (tourmalinated quartz from the Millstone Community)
pic xx254.jpg (siderite in curved xls on quartz from North Richmond County)
pic xx255.jpg (calcite crystals on granite from Vulcan Materials Rockingham Quarry) 

xx247.JPG ( 495 KB | 112 Downloads )
xx247.JPG
xx248.JPG ( 425 KB | 108 Downloads )
xx248.JPG
xx249.JPG ( 406 KB | 102 Downloads )
xx249.JPG
xx250.JPG ( 472 KB | 114 Downloads )
xx250.JPG
xx251.JPG ( 411 KB | 93 Downloads )
xx251.JPG
xx252.JPG ( 424 KB | 97 Downloads )
xx252.JPG
xx253.JPG ( 453 KB | 100 Downloads )
xx253.JPG
xx254.JPG ( 479 KB | 112 Downloads )
xx254.JPG
xx255.JPG ( 530 KB | 102 Downloads )
xx255.JPG
xx256.JPG ( 421 KB | 119 Downloads )
xx256.JPG

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Richmond County
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Thanks for the sample, rockytop!
That's some nice dark smoky there.
The tourmaline in quartz looks real good, too. Wink
Joe

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Randolph County
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Well my Richmond Co stuff isn't nearly that impressive and i only have one photo ready to go up, i have some Epidote i need to photograph eventually.  Here are some Psuedomorph limonite after pyrite cubes i found on my last adventure up there.  Some were up to 2.5" across.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2012 at 10:17am by Scott LaBorde »  

DlOVg.jpg ( 103 KB | 99 Downloads )
DlOVg.jpg

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Scott - thanks so much for posting these pics as I had a heck of time getting them to post (Still learning). I know that compared to many other NC localities that these specimens aren't the best or biggest but they are genuine and came from my area. Anyone interested in digging down this way can get with me anytime and we'll set up a dig or two. The epidote, schrol, siderite, limonite, corundum localities are pretty much accessible for the time being but there is still allot of potential that I know is in the area. My main reason for wanting to post these pics was to make rockhounds aware of Richmond County as a possible source of collecting in the future and hopefully, someone will hit a big find in the area. I'm still chasing an elusive "rumored" find of elbaite tourmaline made about 5 miles from the house. I've had three local's tell me that they've seen it and I found a vein once that someone had worked and you could see places in the quartz where crystals had been "popped" out by someone and tiny green fragments scattered about. I'm trying to get permission to explore this particular tract of land. Again, anyone can get with me if they are in the area anytime.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:41am
Print Post  
I think it looks promising in Richmond County. Too bad it is so far for me.

IP Logged

XTLDGGR
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Rebecca,

You dont know anything about far.

Ha ha ha!

John

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
John and Rebeca,

I agree, Richmond County is pretty far away from most well known collecting sites, I guess the closest would be Shingletrap in Montgomery County, everybody pretty much has been there and its still 45 minutes from there south. Almost anything you find here is a first as this is "virgin" soil that not many people have explored but living here I see the potential. I'm game for anyone to come down, stop by the shop and I'll show you the "hot spots" but I can't guarantee what you'll find. Almost every time, I find epidote and limonite cubes when I go to those sites as they are fairly abundant. The potential is here and I'm doing all I can to really expose it. Hopefully I'll get to meet you guys sometimes if not here on some other dig elsewhere. Cheers. 

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 9:31am
Print Post  
True, it sure isn't as far as OH or NY. It would be fun to hunt in Richmond county...

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Rebecca,

I have a friend that is a district salesman for Vulcan. He told me that he can get me in the Rockingham quarry, just to let him know when. There is calcite and pectolite there as well as unakite, and sunstone. I once found an almost transparent deep orange rhomb 2" across that was nice. Smiley There is actually hyalite opal there on some of the seams but not as nice as Spruce Pines obviously. It does fluoresce green. If any of you want to go down into the quarry (which is huge), let me know and I'll see about setting up a trip. Vulcan's Rockingham quarry is never looked by clubs. I knew a worker who swore that he'd seen blue tourmaline there. Rumors of Elbaite around the pit have been floating around the community for years. If anyone knows of any other Vulcan quarry's of interest, let me know and I'll see if my contact can do anything to help a group of us to get in.
Smiley

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
When are we going, my car is packed...

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Mark,

I'd like to get a small group together sometimes and get with my Vulcan friend and try to see if the invite is still fine. It should be since he was the one who extended the offer to me and said "anytime". Vulcans Rockingham quarry is an old quarry which surprises me that its never been explored more by rockhounds. I've personally seen the hyalite, sunstone, unakite and have heard of tourmaline, corundum, and zeolites. I've got a piece of pectolite that a quarry worker gave me from the pit and a large plate of calcite xls. I don't believe one could compare this quarry with say Moncure, Triangle, etc. obviously but hey...who knows, not to many people have really explored the pit and like it say it is huge! I like first time discoveries and documenting new finds.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Mike, I hope you can pull this off, I have always wanted to go there.  I inquired several years ago to the quarry manager, and he said I had to go through their regional headquarters in Winston Salem.  I contacted them and it did seem possible to do, but involved a fair amount of red tape, including proof of insurance, etc.  If you can work things out on a local level, that would be awesome, but either way, we would be very grateful.  Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I think what I'll do is call my friend with Vulcan and see if he is still open to letting a small group of us in and when it can happen. It'll probably be a weekend which will mean that someone would have to be on-site from Vulcan for security, etc. and most likely involve signing some release forms from Vulcan. But I'll know more when I get with my contact. There is no telling whats in there as the pit is very deep and cuts through several geologic features including granitic rocks, slaty layers, gneiss and schist. I've seen large mica from there as well. Its anyone's guess what could be there until rockhounds get down in there.

IP Logged

dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Mike,
I hope that you can put the trip together.  I also want to take a look at your shop and collection of North Carolina minerals if possible.  I assume that your shop is a rock shop and not something else.   I did not get a chance to dig for corundum with the group and look forward to seeing them in action.  Thanks for your efforts, Dan

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
YES! This would be very interesting. I love the list of minerals found there. I would definitely go if I can.
Mike, you would be awesome if you could arrange it, is what I think.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint