Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig (Read 15156 times)
rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Re: Rockingham Vulcan Quarry dig
Reply #45 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Scott,

I might try emailing you a pic of the large smoky tinted crystal that came out of the Tower Road mine in the 1960's that I have. If you want to post it on this site so that folks can see one of the original crystals from the "grandaddy pocket" thats cool with me. I can't post it due to the file size. I'm working on that problem but haven't had time to figure it out yet.

OH, see you guys Friday morning at Vulcan.

Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #46 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Vulcan dig update....

Mark, sorry to hear that you can't come due to exams. Laurie are you still going to be able to come? This leaves Scott and Rob and possibly Laurie and myself (4) total.

I spoke to Lee at Vulcan and he's ready for us Friday morning. After Vulcan which is approx. 2 hours, there are other areas that we can look and anyone wanting to come by my shop is welcome.

Whoever decides to come, please have a safe trip and I look forward to seeing you there. Any problems you can always call me at 910-206-7629.

Cheers, Mike

IP Logged

Raleigh Rockhound

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #47 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 10:38am
Print Post  
If yall are digging else where later in the day, I will probably try to catch up with yall around 1:00.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #48 - Dec 12th, 2012 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Mark,

Its up to you, but I hate to see you have to drive so far for so little day light left. I think Scott and Rob are still coming. Afterward, I thought we'd go over to that epidote locality if someone wants to and then there is the corundum locality. My last visit to the epidote locality turned up some really nice sprays of epidote xls on feldspar. I know that when you came down you didn't find much but I looked in a different area on the hill and stumbled across a weathering vein and there were a couple dozen nice pieces laying on top of the ground. Digging exposed more until it got into hard ground and I quit. After all that, if anyone wants to stop by the shop, I thought we could head over there as well. I'll have to make a short break to drive over to work and pick up my check since I'll be off Friday and try to swing by the back prior to closing but other than that, I will be around. Its up to you though.

Mike

IP Logged

Rob Moseley
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #49 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Hi guys. Look forward TO Friday, the chatter on the Lost Quartz mine got me going and I have some ideas. I got a few clues about locating it and wanted to do some research. Here's what I know:
1, Start several hundred yards north of Aunt Queen on Tower on a logging trail. About how long a hike and direction? Not sure about what direction but assume east, based on other comments. looking for Large Bolder field an indication of mine vicinity, Also waste quartz on the logging road, going east from the mine.
Questions: How large is the pit? what is its shape, how close is water? any idea of the topo elevation. Thanks.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Rob, if you are truly interested in joining in on the search for the Lost Quartz Mine, then you should join in with those of us that have been looking for the last 10 years and have a great deal of information about where it may or may not be.  The assumptions you made are only moderately accurate.  Fortunately anyone basing a search on those assumptions would wasting their time.  I'd rather that we don't publish all this information and clues on a forum that is available to the entire world. I would rather we talk in generalities on here and leave the specific clues and details for PM's and personal conversations.  That only seems fair to those of us who have a great deal invested in the search.  I'm afraid the barn door has been opened pretty wide already.  I envision finally locating the place and seeing a dozen diggers there already.  We live in a time when there are many, many collectors with few places to go, and who are always looking for new places.  No problem, I do the same.  But when a new locality is published on the internet, dozens of people will go there or want to go there.  We don't even know yet who the property owner is, so let's not put the cart before the horse.  Am I just being selfish and paranoid?

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Rob, I'm available most of the time for a hike down there.  Maybe you could join us on the next foray, or go with me on a "quick hike".

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #52 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Rob,

Good to hear your still coming to Vulcan, look forward to meeting you tomorrow. Hope Scott can come also. Met him last weekend. He's a real nice person and knows allot about minerals. Don't know if Mark is coming or not with exams but Mark if you do, hope you have a safe trip.

As far as Tower Road, maybe we can chat tomorrow a bit. Well, look forward to meeting you and have a safe trip.

Best regards,

Mike

IP Logged

Rob Moseley
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #53 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Look forward to it....if one of my buddies wants to come along will it present any issues? Don;t know if he can/will but thought I would check with you first. Thanks.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #54 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Rob,

No problem, just be sure they have a hard hat, steel toe shoes, and safety glasses....(Vulcan's rules to enter quarry). Have a safe one.

Mike

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #55 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Last update about Vulcan Trip tomorrow....

I will be at Vulcan's office tomorrow 12/14/2012 around 8:30am. The dig is scheduled for approx. 9:00am with Mr. Lee Griffith of Vulcan. There is a 5 to 10 minute talk that he will go over, standard forms, etc. Please bring your hardhats, steel toe shoes, and safety glasses to get in. So far, it appears that there will be around 3-4 folks coming. I wish everyone a safe trip and look forward to seeing you.

Best regards,

Mike

IP Logged

Rob Moseley
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #56 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Laurie,
Would love to join you or a group...been doing some studies of various maps/aerials of the areas and have at least one spot that seems to fit...of course, I've never been and don't know where you've looked so I could be way wrong. My number is 919.215.7462. I'm a commercial real estate guy so I can sneak away most days.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Rob, I'll definitely be in touch.  Feel free to call me anytime.  336-859-3471.  Hope you all have good luck at the Quarry.  Be sure to go by and see Mike's excellent collection.

IP Logged

rockytoprockshop

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #58 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Well....the Vulcan dig is over. I want to thank Scott and Rob for joining me today. We had a great time and it was an experience that I won't forget. We did not find much unfortunately. We did manage to find some small garnets in gabbro base rocks and several unusual pieces of white translucent fibrous masses that may be natrolite or in the zeolite family. But I enjoyed it all the same. Afterward we went to look for epidote. Found a few pieces. Then we all went back to my shop and hung out for a while. I look forward to future digs with you guys. Hope you've had a safe trip home and anytime your down this way, always feel free to stop by.

Best regards, Mike

IP Logged

Rob Moseley
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #59 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Mike-Thanks for setting this up and showing us around your home turf. The Vulcan mine was a treat to see but I must say seeing your collection was the real treat. Enjoyed spending the day with you and Scott...hope to do another outing soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint