Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gearing up. (Read 4997 times)
Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Gearing up.
Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  
It's getting close to that time now.  I hope this season will be much better than last years, at least for us Wake County hunters.  Happy hunting!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Gearing up.
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Indeed. Another 5-6 weeks or so for us depending on the weather. Unlike years past it has been fairly wet this winter and signs are the next few weeks will be wet. That's very good for getting the soil moisture sustained where it needs to be. Now if only the temps cooperate this year.

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Woo hoo! Thanks for the reminder Dave. I have to get to my spot and see if any are starting up. Spring is here according to the robins and the daffodils. Oh glorious Spring!  Smiley

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Well I certainly believe we've had enough rain.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
It is going to be a bumper crop this year!  Wink

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 9:16am
Print Post  
I took a little drive the other day to see how the garden was growing -it is about an hour's drive NE from here to the spot. I love going to this little used area for various reasons, and adventure of some sort is always there. Last year, when the morels were discovered, it did not escape my attention that there were claw marks and scratches on a few of the trees. Not unusual, nor too alarming  Undecided, except some of these scratch marks felt a little too wide and a little high on the tree for my comfort level. There was also a wide spot down an embankment where something had slid with fat pads.
Then when I get there this time, something had rooted/scratched around in a bunch of spots where the morels were growing last year!  Shocked  Angry
So I wonder if they got them all for those little spots, or if the spores will grow some more...in a month? And I wonder who it is eating the mushrooms.
I will keep you posted on who gets the next batch.  Wink

IP Logged

Chemfreak
YaBB Newbies

www.RockHoundLounge.
com

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Sounds like a bear. Are you near the mountains?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 8:13am
Print Post  
With this latest, and hopefully last, cold spell the shroomies
ought to be blooming about right on time this year around here.
Looks like it's going to be right around April 01.
Patience! Smiley

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
ok, ok, ok....against my better judgment, I've decided to leak out a few of my "secrets"

http://www.morelmushroomhunting.com/morel_progression_sightings_map.htm

two things to take note of here...
1) For you Rebecca, they always start earlier in the Tennessee and Ohio River valley. I think some of that is b/c there's another variety, the black morel, that sprouts earlier than the others, we don't have those around here.
2) These marks are for the "first" morels found, and usually its a week or so after the first one that they're really in full force.

Another resource for NC folks

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/dynamic_scripts/cronos/map/index.php

step 1: click "Soil Temperature" on the left
step2: re-zoom to the extent you want.

To read this, the assumption is the soil has to hold around 53 degrees for the morels to sprout. That's a sustained temp, not a sporadic one. That's why i think last year when we went from high temps in the 50s to the 80s we broke right on through the threshold without many sprouts. An optimum situation would be the soils hit 53 degrees and then you have a gray cool moist week with high temps in the 60s, low temps in the 40s.

Also take the temperature measurements with a grain of salt, you can click on info and see the location of the sensor. Sometimes they read way or way low, what your looking for is the average, which right now i'd say is 48 for our area, and with cool/cold temps forecasted out next week and beyond, i'm thinking the season may be delayed.

-Dave

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Wow! Thanks for that link Dave and the info. I really appreciate it. I am wondering if these were blacks that I found last year. That is a very, very interesting site - dang! those guys are serious about it! One thing: the map is showing Tellico Plains, Tn way too far south, but I get the point of the map and find it to be very informative.
I can't wait to go back to my spot and see what the situation is. We have snow over on this side of the mountains today, so I think it will all be delayed at this point; which works for me, since I am late for everything...even late for the future.
And Shaun, yes, I am pretty sure it is a bear as it is very beary over here. A couple of times I felt like I was in a reverse Goldi Locks scene.  Grin
They are even having to remove them from the UT campus area! This sweet spot is very remote (not near a town), at a decent elevation in the mtns, and there is a bear reserve a couple of mountains over for all the naughty bears they relocate. Yes, it did occur to me that Naughty Bear mountain isn't the most relaxing place to hike, but I require some excitement in my life.  Wink

IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I always used to find morels while hiking around in the woods in the Midwest, where I grew up.  They were gigantic yellow morels. Gigantic compared to what I have found here, anyway.  Anyway, I have the mushroom hunting bug too, and yes, as it warms up, I've had my eyes on the ground a lot, just looking... waiting...

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Lizzie, that paints a fantastical picture. Thanks!
I find my mind drifting to my spot, wondering if I should take a drive up there, trying to calculate when I should go back. It snowed again this weekend, the weather just hasn't been consistently warm or even sunny, so I am thinking I should wait at least a week or two.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint