Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bowlings Mountain Mine? (Read 7974 times)
dan

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Bowlings Mountain Mine?
Dec 22nd, 2013 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Is anyone familiar with this site.  I ran across it by accident on mindat and have never collected there.  Is it open to collectors?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Bowlings Mountain Mine?
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Never been, dan.
You can see the old diggings on Google Maps.

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 8:59am
Print Post  
It is not open to collecting.  The property was open until about 15 years ago when it was bought by a wealthy owner who has built a large gate on the road leading to the mine and his house.  I made 4 trips there before I could even get to his house to ask permission, which was vehemently denied.  Very unfortunate, as it is a great pyrophyllite locality, only surpassed by 3 others in the state.  I have a couple dozen old samples still left from the extensive collecting I used to do there, nothing truly great.  I'll save one for you Dan.

IP Logged

Blaine Jeffreys
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Is that the one in Snow Camp?

IP Logged

Laurie Adams
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 8:11am
Print Post  
No, the Snow camp locality is in Alamance County, Bowlings Mountain is in Granville County.  The Snow Camp locality was originally called the Hollman Mill Mine, later the Pine Hill Mine, but most just call it the Snow Camp Mine.  I think the original Hollman Mill name should be used as there are other pyrophyllite occurrences in the Snow Camp area.  This mine too is strictly closed to collecting unfortunately, as it has a large list of cool minerals, such as quartz crystals, some with pyrite inclusions, variscite, cacoxenite and other rare phosphates.  Bowlings o0nly has pyrophyllite and massive worthless topaz.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint