Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1/6/14 Raleigh, NC (Read 4949 times)
Collin

RockHoundLounger

1/6/14 Raleigh, NC
Jan 7th, 2014 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I decided to go on Google earth and look for some spots that had rocks and wouldn't be too close to houses and people.  What I found was an old creek that had tons of rocks and sidewalls to pick at.  Since I got out there right after work I only had about 20 minutes to look around.  Hopefully the next trip I will find the spot where the crystals are falling out of.  It got cold and dark fast, sorry about the bad quality pictures.  Within a few minutes I found some stuff laying around on the banks. 

T1.JPG ( 74 KB | 93 Downloads )
T1.JPG
t6.jpeg ( 984 KB | 102 Downloads )
t6.jpeg
t7.jpeg ( 448 KB | 103 Downloads )
t7.jpeg
t8.jpeg ( 918 KB | 110 Downloads )
t8.jpeg
t2.jpeg ( 934 KB | 87 Downloads )
t2.jpeg
t4.jpeg ( 1047 KB | 92 Downloads )
t4.jpeg
t3.jpeg ( 856 KB | 103 Downloads )
t3.jpeg
t5.jpeg ( 1092 KB | 112 Downloads )
t5.jpeg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: 1/6/14 Raleigh, NC
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Good eye finding those crystals.  It is a very tricky thing to chase the origin of crystals in a creek or stream.  Although a fissure containing buckets of crystals may be very near it is difficult to know how far those specimens have traveled from years of water flow.  You'll have to find areas of the bank that are in-situ and not sedimental deposits.  Depending on where you are it may be impossible without some major digging.  But in areas where the banks are clearly in-situ this is where you should be concentrating in order to find fissures with crystals.  Even then it can be difficult as all fissures are not created equal and sometimes are disguised in plain view.  But, keep positive and keep looking, you'll eventually find something real nice!  Good work.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott!  I appreciate your advice, this is the closest I have been to finding something good.  The stream isn't too too long and I found the cystals in the same little area so perhaps I will find the spot they are dumping from. Cheesy

I did spot some mica here and there, maybe I need to look for the mica spots to help find the pocket.  Does the black dirt in the sidewall of the stream have any better chance than the red clay areas? 

Thanks!
-Collin

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Collin,

As Scott stated and based on your pictures, everything i see is an alluvial deposit, in fact its almost identical to another creek/area that most of us on here know about and have dug and i suspect the spot you found is in the same area. The dark gray layer would be the best bet for crystals, but again, not the original source, it's likely further upstream, and perhaps even eroded and gone.

I work nearby Centennial, perhaps I can sneak out of work early one day soon and meet up with you and we can do some sleuthing around. Daylight is the problem now, it gets much easier in spring/summer for those after work hunts.

-Dave

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Finally!!! A worse photographer than me! Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Joe - LOL

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Collin - Good work!  Good rocks can be found just about anywhere if you look!  I like creek and river crawling just because I like creeks and rivers.  Interesting thing about streams cutting through alluvial beds, is the alluvial can be from ancient rivers.  When I lived in northern Virginia there were a number of good streams cutting through pre-Potomac mega-river deposits.  It seemed that anything you could find along the Blue Ridge and Piedmont, you could find in those gravels.  Cheers. -- Tim

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Yes I know the pics are bad, I was in a rush/crystal frenzy and couldn't keep my hand still enough to take good pics  Wink 

Tim and Dave, I appreciate your replies!  I am very excited to return to my new spot, however, with the sun going down at 5:30 it will be hard to get out there after work. 

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be finding some cool stuff from that spot.  It appears that it used to be a pond a long time ago and dried up in the early 2000's, so maybe it is older than I thought it was.  The creek looks to be the lowest point of the pond and has been there since it has dried up.

Dave I will shoot you a pm and would defiantly like slueth around sometime, I can show you some of my prospecting spots.  I live almost right on centennial campus.

Thanks!
-Collin

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Went out today same spot with my roomate.  Found a nice clump.  Found some really nice quartz pieces besides this too.

20140111_150845.jpg ( 2409 KB | 82 Downloads )
20140111_150845.jpg

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Fixed this picture as well.  Sorry about flooding the topic with huge pics!  Lips Sealed

fix3.jpg ( 110 KB | 96 Downloads )
fix3.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Very nice specimen there.  You should check for rutile on your specimens as it is very commonly found on Wake Co. quartz, especially crystallized quartz.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Scott,
Thanks!  I have not looked too close at the specimens for rutile yet.  I did notice that this is very very close to somewhere you have posted on this board that you found some rutile.  Hopefully I will find some!

-Collin

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I suggest checking all your crystallized quartz with a loupe as very tiny whisps of included rutile can be easily missed without one.  Tiny golden rutile can be even more difficult to spot within a milky white specimen.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott, I will take a closer look at them.  I believe there is some rutile on them.  I'll bring my collection to the meeting on Tuesday.  Here are 2 more I found the other day, I think i found a good smokey spot that I am returning to on Saturday  Wink

c1.jpg ( 66 KB | 87 Downloads )
c1.jpg
c2.jpg ( 61 KB | 88 Downloads )
c2.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:41am
Print Post  
That second piece is looking real good!