Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Crabtree Emerald Mine (Read 33256 times)
JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Crabtree Emerald Mine
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Sounds good to me, Dennis!
I've just started going thru all the old Crabtree material but I have noticed that a lot of the beryls are bi-colored. In the last picture above it is interesting how all the crystals surrounding the green are golden. And even the first crystal pictured is bi-colored, with that luscious gemmy emerald cap on it.
Rebecca, that crystal is .5 inches long and .25 wide and the cap is a little less than a third of that. Someone could probably get a very small gemstone out of it if they wanted. I'm putting it in the store as a specimen. And, yes, many of the crystals have terminations on atleast one end.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Are you calling the tourmaline in these specimens fluor-dravite instead of schorl?

D.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Good question, Dennis.
Simple answer, "Yes, but with other varieties possible."
90% of the pieces I've looked at, and all the pieces I have for sale, are positively Fluor-Dravite, or, have rootbeer brown translucence.
Until I cut a few open, the other 10% are actually "undetermined", but could be schorl.
I need to double check, but I think most of the "black" tourmaline I collected from NAEM in Hiddenite are also Fluor-Dravite?

I, and many others, are just calling black tourmaline from anywhere, "Black Tourmaline". Lips Sealed
Here is my explanation for specimens in my Etsy store;
"Although the tourmaline from the Crabtree is commonly called “schorl” or just “black”, much of it is classified as a Fluor-Dravite from the Dravite-Schorl Series. This is a dark brown translucent tourmaline if you have a piece thin enough for light to pass through. There has also been dark green translucent tourmaline found that might be a Chrome-Dravite. And, yes, some looks like Schorl."

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #33 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Well, I just started playing with some of the pegmatite rough I collected at the Crabtree over 10 years ago and I'm having a Blast!
Great fun! Beautiful interesting material full of surprises!

Now that I am cutting and working the material I hope to get some good pictures of the tourmaline. Preliminary results do not change what I've mentioned above.

In the first picture the one on the far left is a broken egg.
And calling the one on the far right an egg would be stretching it.
But the rest of the pictures are eggsactly what I'm talking about. Wink

DSCN4573.JPG ( 135 KB | 78 Downloads )
DSCN4573.JPG
DSCN4580.JPG ( 270 KB | 62 Downloads )
DSCN4580.JPG
DSCN4590_001.JPG ( 198 KB | 69 Downloads )
DSCN4590_001.JPG
DSCN4595_001.JPG ( 226 KB | 71 Downloads )
DSCN4595_001.JPG

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Those are some very aesthetically eggciting eggs.  You have some really great crabtree material.  Cheesy

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Laurie Adams

RockHoundLounger

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
As to the fluor-dravite conversation, I think it is nearly impossible without comprehensive scientific analysis to determine the type of tourmaline. Coloration can be a clue, but is not definitive.  Is there published analysis of crabtree tourmaline?  Would love to see it if you know of it.  I can only state that the VAST majority of tourmaline I've seen over the years from Crabtree is jet black, indicating schorl.  I've seen very little of the brown.  I have seen the brown in muscovite from the Ray mine and other mines in the Black Mountain range.  Not saying fluor-dravite isn't there, but wondering how prevalent it is and how that was determined.

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Laurie,

I still call it schorl unless I can see the greenish brown.  Here is the paper that descibes fluor-dravite from the Crabtree Emerald mine.

(Clark, C.M., F.C. Hawthorne, and L. Ottolini.  2011.  Fluor-dravite, NaMg3Al6Si6O18(BO3)3(OH)3F, a new mineral of the tourmaline group from the Crabtree emerald mine, Mitchell County, North Carolina: description and crystal structure. Canadian Mineralogist, 49:57-62.)

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Yes, yes, yes, Could not agree with you more, Laurie.  Smiley
I, of course, do not have the ability to do the comprehensive analysis needed to answer this question. And I have always looked at the tourmaline from the Crabtree as schorl. But now, finally getting around to taking a closer look, I would say there is very little schorl.

As you can see, from the article cited by Dennis, Fluor-Dravite is a very "new" mineral, 2011. In the article from Mindat that I'm linking you to below it is stated that The Big Crabtree is the type locality for this new tourmaline classification. In the Clarke,Hawthorne, Ottolini article they talk about finding only minute millimeter sized grains of the Fluor-Dravite in limited contact areas, but in the Mindat article they tested all different specimens of the tourmaline and report that it was "all" this "new" dark brown tourmaline, and that is exactly what I am finding.
Here is the Mindat link,
https://www.mindat.org/a/best_fluordravite

With my very limited scientific knowledge and abilities, Huh,
I can safely say that at least 50% of what I'm finding in my specimens from the Crabtree are a dark brown translucent tourmaline, sometimes transitioning to green, and am guessing the percentage to be much higher. It is definitely not all schorl.
Some of the tourmaline crystals have a brown translucent 1-2mm thick "rind" on the outside and a degraded opaque black interior, so I do not have any idea what is going on there.

I need to make some good specimen pieces for the tourmaline and hope to get working on that soon, but here are some really poor pictures that you might be able to see some of what I am talking about.
The first picture is of some random samples of Crabtree pegmatite. With a good light and a loupe you can see that 'All' the tourmaline in those pieces are a dark translucent brown, or Fluor-Dravite for lack of  a better name.
The last two pics are of a thin section I cut. Sorry about the quality of the specimen and pictures, but this is very typical of what I am seeing in the tourmaline once cut.
I want some Schorl! I'm looking for schorl in this stuff, but don't know if I have found any yet?
This really is a great topic for discussion. Dennis and I have been batting it around for a few years, and I am finally getting around to taking a closer look. Several years ago, after talking with Dennis, I went in search of scientific research done on schorl and dravite and found an article that concluded there could be a dozen different chemical signatures between the schorl and dravite series and that it would take years to identify and distinguish them all, if any one wanted to. Hopefully more work will be done on specifically the tourmaline from The Big Crabtree.  Smiley

DSCN4639.JPG ( 177 KB | 64 Downloads )
DSCN4639.JPG
DSCN4645.JPG ( 177 KB | 66 Downloads )
DSCN4645.JPG
DSCN4655.JPG ( 142 KB | 71 Downloads )
DSCN4655.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #38 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Well, as is often the case, the more I learn about things the more clueless I become. And given the whole original intent and meaning of the word "Schorl", I am inclined to agree with them. That's a good name for it.
There is really no way to say for sure what the tourmaline is without the chemistry and there could be a lot of different minute mixtures to the Schorl-Dravite series.
Any artist should know of the many 'hidden' colors in black.
I have been taking a real close look at the tourmaline lately and there are many colors in the black to behold, so I looked up "Schorl Thin Sections" and found this very interesting site. Please take a look when you have time. There is also a short history on Schorl.
https://www.crystal-treasure.com/hermannneu/Thin_Section_from_Schoerl_Crystals.h...

There is much more color in the tourmaline from Crabtree than I ever thought of before. The tranparent dark brown and greens being the majority. Little beautiful 1mm wide and 3-4mm long root beer transparent crystals are common, but there is no way, with my tools, I could ever positively identify one as Fluor-Dravite. Another reason in favor of calling it all Schorl.
I'm sorry I can't try and set up right now to take pictures of some of the beautiful little root beer barrel crystals but here are two pictures of the same patch of small tourmaline crystals with rough broken edges. As example I'm hoping you can see that all the tourmaline here is a tranparent brown color.

DSCN5136.JPG ( 190 KB | 57 Downloads )
DSCN5136.JPG
DSCN5141.JPG ( 205 KB | 56 Downloads )
DSCN5141.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I've been cutting a lot of the tourmaline. It is very brittle and a lot of the interior is totally degraded and fractured. A grainy opaque black like ash that will come off on your fingers. Not all, but a lot.
I cut some 2mm thick slabs and had to grind them down to less than .5 of 1mm before any light would pass through the tourmaline to see a color. Mostly browns, but a lot of greens, too, and I guess this is normal and acceptable for Schorl? If these color variations are acceptable, it's textbook Schorl.
One thing I did come to realize while looking at all the material is you don't need to cut and grind the tourmaline down to see the "hidden" color. The root beer color staining in the surrounding quartz/albite is coming from the tourmaline, and that's what color the tourmaline really is.
Some examples of the staining in this next polished piece. You can also see how degraded the interior of the tourmaline is.

I would love to see more chemistry done on the tourmaline from Crabtree before I die, but I don't really know why, when Schorl seems to fit the bill perfectly, almost.
Sorry to raise all your hairs but totally translucent dark brown crystals were throwing me off.
I am going back to calling it Schorl until someone comes up with something better.  Tongue

DSCN5147.JPG ( 208 KB | 66 Downloads )
DSCN5147.JPG
DSCN5152_001.JPG ( 208 KB | 60 Downloads )
DSCN5152_001.JPG
DSCN5163.JPG ( 240 KB | 71 Downloads )
DSCN5163.JPG
DSCN5171.JPG ( 183 KB | 57 Downloads )
DSCN5171.JPG
DSCN5176.JPG ( 179 KB | 67 Downloads )
DSCN5176.JPG
DSCN5180.JPG ( 185 KB | 70 Downloads )
DSCN5180.JPG

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #40 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Okay my dear fellow North Carolina Rock and Mineral Afishionados,
I am still having a problem with calling "It" "Schorl".  Roll Eyes

I've been reading "Down the Crabtree" by Bob Schabilion, and all those old timers called it "Horneblende". No mention of schorl. Even though this would have to be called an 'unusual' if not 'rare' occurrence of 'crystallized' Horneblende, the mineral in question fits the definition of Horneblende very well.  But it could be schorl, too. Very pretty specimen material but basically too brittle to do much with.

So, my question is;  When, and why, did these 'black' crystals go from being called Horneblende to Schorl?

Here's a pic from Mindat of a Horneblende spray.
https://www.mindat.org/photo-158883.html

And here are some good reference links for
Horneblende; http://www.geologypage.com/2014/04/hornblende.html

Schorl; https://nationalgemlab.in/schorl-tourmaline/
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:48pm by JoeM »  

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #41 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Great research on the Schorl/Dravite/Hornblende.  I looked at a number of photos of hornblende, both crystals and cross-section slides. It does appear very similar to schorl, but seems to be less triangular (bowed triangle) than schorl.  Hornblende xls. that I have found and/or seen in the Spruce Pine area were very blocky looking and not as slender as the Crabtree schorl xls. 

I may continue to call it schorl in my records but add a brief note regarding fluor-dravite since it was described at the Crabtree mine.

And: Is the schorl found at numerous other Spruce Pine district mines schorl, fluor-dravite, or hornblende?

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #42 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Hey Dennis, Thanks for the reply.
I've just started reading Down the Crabtree so will be taking note of where schorl is recorded at other mines in the vicinity. I can tell you that my specimens from Walker Creek are very similar to the Crabtree "in color", ie; where they are a translucent brown when back lit. I haven't looked at the Ray or Hiddenite material yet.

The link on Schorl above includes dark brown, dark green, and a blue-black as colors of Schorl whereas most sites say simply "Black, Opaque". So that is a bit confusing. What is the accepted color-range for Schorl is one question?
Is a visual only identification possible? Or does a definite answer rely on chemistry?
I am curious about when the name changed from Horneblende to Schorl at the Crabtree? Was there research or a report done? I think Horneblende "Crystals" would be as exciting as Schorl to collect given their rarity?

Maybe the color range I am seeing is acceptable for Schorl? But I have a hard time selling an obviously translucent dark brown crystal as Schorl, or Black Tourmaline. I would love to know the proper name. And maybe there's more than one?

Hope you have a good relaxing weekend.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #43 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Joe,

I bought "Down the Crabtree" several years ago and found it informative.  I actually knew several of the people he talked about when I lived in Spruce Pine in the 1960s.  His book has a lot of local info, but is not as expansive as it could have been.

I did a quick search for Schorl and or 'Tourmaline' for the Spruce Pine mining district (Avery, Mitchell, & Yancey counties) and there are quite a few listed.  Many of these localities also have 'Hornblende' listed, but the hornblende is restricted to the mines where the wallrock was hornblende schist or hornblende gneiss, not mica schist or granite pegmatite ('alaskite').....if that makes any difference.

I'm sure the locations that just indicated 'tourmaline' were older mines where no analyses were done on the specific minerals.  It's like saying there was feldspar, but not orthoclase, plagioclase, perthite, etc.

Dennis

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #44 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply, Dennis.
Agreed, "Down the Crabtree" could be more expansive but I am very impressed with all the historic information compiled in one volume by the author.  I think it is a much needed synopsis of the region and would recommend it for anyone interested in the mining history of NC. I still need to review the mineral identification section.
Yes, the difference in wall rock or host rock that you mentioned I imagine would make a huge difference.

The Tourmaline question continues and has definitely spread to Wake County. I'm just going to go back to calling all Black Minerals 'Hematite'. Much easier that way.  Wink

Just wanted to add a few pics of this little Crabtree Bauble I made 10 or more years ago before it heads out the door. It is one of my first tries with Crabtree rough and I would like to try some more one day.

DSCN9824.JPG ( 197 KB | 47 Downloads )
DSCN9824.JPG
DSCN9829.JPG ( 193 KB | 48 Downloads )
DSCN9829.JPG
DSCN9834.JPG ( 175 KB | 40 Downloads )
DSCN9834.JPG
DSCN9839.JPG ( 141 KB | 49 Downloads )
DSCN9839.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint