Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Out in the Owyhees and another more local spot (Read 6332 times)
Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Out in the Owyhees and another more local spot
Apr 2nd, 2015 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
My youngest son recently has gotten into rock collecting. His collection so far is mostly made up of rocks he has found around the neighborhood and a few that we bought for him. He asked me if we could go try to find some "cool" rocks for his collection. I remembered a creek that I fish from time to time that might possibly hold some neat rocks.

We headed out to the spot in the early afternoon, I did bring a fly rod but decided to leave it in the truck once we got there. We spent the next couple of hours hiking and looking for rocks that he might add to his collection.

We did find some interesting rocks for the collection but nothing spectacular. As we hiked out we decided to check out one more area. While looking my son yelled to me "Dad I found some crystals" and hands me this.

He was so excited finding his first crystal in the wild as he put it. On the way home he told me that this was the best day ever and that he couldn't wait to go home and show mom.

A week later Nick got lucky while searching a drainage area near our neighborhood. When he first spotted it there was just a bit of blue visible on the surface. After a good whack with a hammer, the inside revealed a good amount of blue opal. For size perspective the rocks in the first two shots are about the size of my palm.

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Re: Out in the Owyhees and another more local spot
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Your son skipped clean over pebble pup and went straight to rockhound!  Stunning blue opal, and nice vug of quartz crystals.  Finding good stuff in your own neighborhood is the best. 
You are blessed to be in an outstanding area for rocks and minerals.  Just Google "owyhee rockhounding" and you'll find plenty of field trip reports.

IP Logged

L82Play

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Good story, two great finds and an excellent start - sounds like you and your son can look forward to lots of quality time together creek crawling, surface hunting and digging for gems - plus it's all good for your health!

Good luck in your hunts.

cheers,
r

sung to the tune of 'Green Acres'
Erosion is the thing for me
I just don't like to dig - you see
Picking rocks up right off the ground
is good enough for this lucky old rockhound

IP Logged

Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Tim4d wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 10:05am:
Your son skipped clean over pebble pup and went straight to rockhound!  Stunning blue opal, and nice vug of quartz crystals.  Finding good stuff in your own neighborhood is the best. 
You are blessed to be in an outstanding area for rocks and minerals.  Just Google "owyhee rockhounding" and you'll find plenty of field trip reports.

Oh yea, he wants to get out there in a bad way. I have already done a bit of research and put a short list of destinations to visit. Succor creek in the Owyhees is most likely going to be the next place. Then I was thinking of one of the following: War Eagle mountain for quartz and other items, Little Goose creek for Corundum, Harden Creek for Autunite, and Squaw Butte for fire opal.

IP Logged

Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
L82Play wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 12:49pm:
Hi,

Good story, two great finds and an excellent start - sounds like you and your son can look forward to lots of quality time together creek crawling, surface hunting and digging for gems - plus it's all good for your health!

Good luck in your hunts.

cheers,
r

Yea, it should be fun for us. The nice thing is with all of the exploring I have done for my fishing adventures. I have become very familiar with a lot of the backcountry here. I try to go out hiking/fishing once every 7-10 days. Looking at mineral maps of my state, a lot of the deposits are in areas I know well. That really helps on the planning piece especially with a 7 year old in tow.

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Great report and thanks for the introduction! Smiley
You live in a wonderful area to rockhound and your son seems to be a natural.
Thanks for the report and we look forward to more!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Great trip report Sasha!  Your son has officially been bit by the bug and I both commend and pity you!  Wink  For one, it's one of the most cheapest and healthiest hobbies one could have.  The downside is that your house will soon be full of rocks.

Looking forward to many more adventures you will no doubt be having.  Thanks for the great report!

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Sasha
YaBB Newbies

On a backcountry creek

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Scott LaBorde wrote on Apr 6th, 2015 at 10:38am:
Great trip report Sasha!  Your son has officially been bit by the bug and I both commend and pity you!  Wink  For one, it's one of the most cheapest and healthiest hobbies one could have.  The downside is that your house will soon be full of rocks.

Looking forward to many more adventures you will no doubt be having.  Thanks for the great report!

Scott   

Thank you, any time I am able to get out is a good time. I am glad to see him taking an interest in the outdoors. It beats sitting at home playing video games etc. We were going to go hit a spot tomorrow but unfortunately he came down with a stomach bug yesterday and I don't know if he will recover by then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint