Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new rock collector from harnett county (Read 961 times)
aquaelly
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

new rock collector from harnett county
Jul 13th, 2015 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone. I'm Mark. I have a BS in Geology from UNC. I spent a few years working outdoors in geology before making it to an office job many years ago. I very recently found this board. Saltwater fishing was the only hobby I could afford for a long time so rocks were not much on my mind (although my wife declares my head is full of them). My 8 year old granddaughter and I made a trip to Hiddenite earlier this year where she (and therefore I) got hooked on rock collecting. We are looking forward to taking some trips to some established areas with some of the folks I've been reading about on this board. I am also interested in scouting in Harnett and some of the surrounding counties. By the way that Elly likes to collect rocks, and the way my wife buys stuff for her this will be my only hobby for the next while.

Thanks Scott for the approval. And I'll close by asking a newbie question, is there a club that still meets regularly in the area?

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: new rock collector from harnett county
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Hey, Welcome to the board, Mark.
Glad to hear your granddaughter is getting you back out in the field! Harnett is an interesting county and I am looking forward to seeing some of your finds!
To answer your question about local rock clubs;
In Raleigh, there is the Tar Heel Gem and Mineral Club, that meets every 3rd Tuesday of the month at the NC State Crafts Center on NC State campus, 7:30-9:30pm. It is well worth the $20 annual dues to be a member to have access to the crafts center and the club fieldtrips. Unfortunately for Elly, you have to be 18 to go on most of the fieldtrips or take the classes offered at the center. But you can attend a meeting as a guest and have a look around and check it out for yourself.
There is a small group meeting closer to you. They are the Tri-State Mineral Club. There are several very experienced and knowledgeable members in the lapidary arts in the club. Contact person is Clea @ cleadonovan@hotmail.com. This club was started to serve the more rural eastern counties. Clea is from Dunn and the President is from Mount Olive.
They sometimes meet at the Johnson County Community College in Cleveland on Hwy 1010 and it just so happens their next meeting is tonight. They are meeting at the Golden Corral in Cleveland, I-40/Hwy 42 @ 6:30. So go hungry. Wink
Best of luck to you and hope to hear about your and Elly's adventures!

Joe

IP Logged

Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Hi Mark, and welcome from central Virginia.

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Welcome Mark!  Hiddenite is a great place to start learning the different minerals (although salted mainly from Brazil if your buying the buckets of dirt).  In about 3 weeks I'm planning on setting up a trip to the Burgin mine in Stanley County.  Perhaps you could join us and find some nice quartz crystals.  There are always places to check -- construction sites, creeks, road cuts, and anywhere you see exposed earth.  It's learning to read the exposed earth that help you the most.  Keep perusing RHL's pictures and videos and you'll get a good idea on what to look for.  Hope to see some of your finds posted soon!   Grin

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint