Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ridgeway Cantelope District (Read 546 times)
Tim4d
God Member

I like creeks & rivers
to do the digging for
me.

Ridgeway Cantelope District
Aug 28th, 2015 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
A co-worker commutes all the way from Norlina to up here in central Virginia because he bought a farm right in the middle of the Ridgeway Cantelope District a few years ago.  Poor man looks twice his age, same as my long-ago managing editor in Oklahoma who also held  down an office job while ranching in his "spare" time.  Anyway I asked him about soil and rocks on his place.  He has to amend the clay soil with gypsum to grow anything, and removes lots of "ugly plain ole brown rocks."  He does not know what kind of rocks but might bring one in.  So, is Norlina area known for anything worth collecting?  He had noticed the handful of rocks and crystals that adorn my filing cabinet top.  I told him to look in the local creeks and let me know if he sees anythign similar!  In fact, he replied, he was intending to inspect 29 acres for sale across the road from his place, and it has a creek.  So we shall see.

IP Logged

VictorK

RockHoundLounger

Re: Ridgeway Cantelope District
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I have an out-of-date (1987) book by Alan Eckert (Earth Treasures, vol. 2) that covers collecting areas in each county in NC.  It doesn't list any mineral site for Warren County around Norlina.  The closest area it lists is south Warren County around the town of Inez: several amethyst sites.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint