Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Display Cabinet (Read 1664 times)
Dennis

Beryl is good!

New Display Cabinet
Jun 17th, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I started a special project last fall that I just finished yesterday.  It took much longer than I had anticipated, but the lack of electricity in my shed, improper tools, the weather, and the fact that I'm not a carpenter worked against me.  So, here is a brief description of the project and photos of the finished product.

Last fall I found a nice 2 piece pecan china hutch in a local thrift store.  I was able to get it for a very nice price including delivery to the house (Photo 1).

I lightly sanded the pecan stain in the upper hutch and painted the walls and shelves with white semi-gloss enamel and added LCD light tapes under each shelf.  I constructed 3-step display shelves out of 2" foam insulation and painted them white, too. 

Photo 2 is the finished display hutch and base with drawers for storing non-display specimens. 

Photo 3 is the upper display hutch with NC specimens included.

Photos 4 & 5: Left and right shots of the Top Shelf.

Photos 6 & 7: Left and right shots of the Middle Shelf.

Photos 8 & 9: Left and right shots of the Bottom Shelf.

I am pleased with the outcome and it shows off the specimens much better.  My next project is to improve my other display cabinet.

Dennis

China_Hutch.jpg ( 156 KB | 56 Downloads )
China_Hutch.jpg
Completed_Hutch_Display.jpg ( 131 KB | 60 Downloads )
Completed_Hutch_Display.jpg
Top_Section.jpg ( 203 KB | 62 Downloads )
Top_Section.jpg
Top_Left.jpg ( 131 KB | 64 Downloads )
Top_Left.jpg
Top_Right.jpg ( 136 KB | 60 Downloads )
Top_Right.jpg
Middle_Left.jpg ( 129 KB | 68 Downloads )
Middle_Left.jpg
Middle_Right.jpg ( 138 KB | 62 Downloads )
Middle_Right.jpg
Bottom_Left.jpg ( 180 KB | 53 Downloads )
Bottom_Left.jpg
Bottom_Right.jpg ( 169 KB | 52 Downloads )
Bottom_Right.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: New Display Cabinet
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Very, very nice, Dennis. The cabinet has some sweet looking wood.
You did a beautiful job! Thanks for the pics.
Very impressive looking collection!

IP Logged

TheresaH
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2016 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Looks great!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Beautiful display and specimens Dennis.  Painting it white was a great idea it really brightens everything up a lot. Knowing that most of those were self collected specimens must make you proud. Well done!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:25am
Print Post  
I love it!  I see those cabinets sometimes on craigslist and think to myself that one day, I'll get one for my rocks.  Now you you have your very own museum.  Drawers full of rocks, too???  Smiley

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for all of the compliments.  It pays to search thrift stores for these hutches.  They are usually inexpensive, and delivery fees are low.  I was able to get this china hutch for $145, including delivery.

Scott: I'm proud of the new display and minerals, even though only 25% are personally collected.  Many were acquired through purchase or trades, and a lot of my personally collected specimens were given away or traded many years ago.  The ones I still have will stay with me until I die.

I'm going to modify my other display cabinet and move it next to the new one.  This cabinet will display the rest of my NC collection which consists of corundum, kyanite, epidote, thulite, pyrophyllite, ore specimens (malachite and azurite), pyrite and pseudomorphs, Foote Mine rarities, feldspar, hyalite, REE and U minerals, pyromorphite, actinolite in talc, spodumene, and others.

The specimens I cannot fit into the cabinet will go in the drawers of the china hutch.  I'm glad to have that storage space.  And, I still have my fossils and Indian artifacts to consider. 

Dennis

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Very good looking cabinet and specimens!  Where is that big garnet from Dennis?

IP Logged

dave

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Dennis,

Great job on the cabinet. I'd like to pick your brain on the lights you used. I've got a cabinet that needs some lighting upgrades...

Is this similar to what you used? I'm no expert on lumens and such but it would seem that these would be more than bright enough..

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Flexible-Lights-Daylight-Lumens/dp/B00JQV6U3U/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1466777243&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=lcd+light+tape&psc=1

IP Logged

Dennis

Beryl is good!

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Collin: The large almandine crystal (3") on the top shelf came from the Poovey Garnet locality near Morganton. This site is no longer accessible, as is the nearby Tweedy Garnet site.  The large dark trapezohedral garnet on the right end of the second to bottom shelf came from the Henson Creek Mine in Avery Co.

Dave: I used LED tape lights (daylight 6000K) that I found on Amazon.com.  They were easy to install and I have a lot left over that I can use in other cases, once I purchase the appropriate fittings and power cords.  Everything I read about lighting mineral cases recommended LED daylight 5000-6000K lights.  Although a few species don't respond to that temperature range well.

Dennis

IP Logged

Collin

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the follow up Dennis.  Nice stuff you have there!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint