Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) it's a beautiful day to hunt for shiny (Read 1711 times)
Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

it's a beautiful day to hunt for shiny
Jan 31st, 2016 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Hi,
My name is Deb, I live in N. Raleigh, and I've always been someone with her nose to the ground! Ever since I can remember, I have collected sharks teeth, but a several months ago, I came across a construction site near my neighborhood and found the big bolder of quartz you can see at the link below (I had to use a 2x4 from the construction to roll it into my car, and I almost couldn't do it!)

Since then, I'm hooked! I hope to post some more finds from this site soon. Anyway, I'm so glad to have found this site and learn from previous posts about the minerals I've been finding lately (lots of quartz crystals, smokies, garnets, and [at least I think] amethyst). Mostly, I love hunting for crystals; they're the best!

Nice to be here  Smiley

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwGQHKaASGyxOW90VXYzY1MwNGc&usp=sharing

IP Logged

Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Re: it's a beautiful day to hunt for shiny
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I wanted to try attaching the images within the email (instead of linking), so fingers crossed that they will post correctly... The last image is for scale; the gardening carriers the cluster is sitting in has 3 ft. circumference (I hope that's helpful!)

IMG_1263.jpg ( 209 KB | 66 Downloads )
IMG_1263.jpg
IMG_1264.jpg ( 249 KB | 66 Downloads )
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg ( 296 KB | 72 Downloads )
IMG_1266.jpg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the board, Rocky!
I'd bet that piece was big enough to give someone the bug! Smiley
Fantastic find for North Raleigh. I hope you went back and looked for more.
Thanks for sharing,
Joe

IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
well that is wild! Crazy how the crystals all grew willy nilly in random directions.
Great find.

IP Logged

Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:28am
Print Post  
thank you! the one that really got me 'hooked', tho, was this beauty... I couldn't believe the size of the crystals! and tho they're not clear, they're still beautifully formed (i hope the nickel I placed on top is visible enough to give you a sense of the scale).

I found all of this from the one construction site I mentioned, including the beautiful citrine specimens you helped me identify in another post  Smiley 

But I think this chunk was part of that other huge chunk in my previous post. I have many, many materials from whatever was growing under this site, unearthed when they started grading. These big boys were just laying on the surface!

IMG_1342.jpg ( 219 KB | 75 Downloads )
IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg ( 179 KB | 77 Downloads )
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1343.jpg ( 229 KB | 86 Downloads )
IMG_1343.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Those are some unusually large crystals you are finding.  Well done!  Great to see someone else checking construction sites for crystals as there is always so much opportunity.  Have you been able to find the source veins for these crystals or are you finding these randomly on the surface?

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

lizziebird

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Wow, those are super!  The last construction site I looked at I found 2 itsy bitsy tiny quartz clusters, about the each about the size of a penny, tiny little points.  At least it was something!

Great finds!

IP Logged

Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
thank you! Scott, I don't think I've found the source (if there is one), and frankly, I don't know how! I have done a little bit of digging (when I see something interesting poking up on the surface), but I'd like to dig around a lot more. They are going to put up a house there very soon, and I'm sad to think what will be covered up!

If anyone would like to dig there, I would be happy to share the location, and, if you're willing, I would especially like to join you so that I can learn  Smiley

IP Logged

Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 10:15am
Print Post  
by the way, here are a few more specimens from this same site. I have found clusters of all shapes and sizes, from palm-sized up to the larger ones you saw above---as well as single crystals, ones with little 'out-growths', ones that are double-terminated, milky, crystal clear, rose-colored, as well as chunks with only a few crystals attached, on up to as many as 10, 20, 40 on up... it really is a fascinating site with a lot of geological diversity!

IMG_1367.jpg ( 103 KB | 70 Downloads )
IMG_1367.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg ( 115 KB | 68 Downloads )
IMG_1370.jpg
IMG_1371.jpg ( 106 KB | 96 Downloads )
IMG_1371.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg ( 144 KB | 65 Downloads )
IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1350_001.jpg ( 201 KB | 71 Downloads )
IMG_1350_001.jpg
IMG_1356_001.jpg ( 231 KB | 75 Downloads )
IMG_1356_001.jpg
IMG_1362_001.jpg ( 172 KB | 69 Downloads )
IMG_1362_001.jpg
IMG_1366_001.jpg ( 246 KB | 73 Downloads )
IMG_1366_001.jpg

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
You are right, there's a some great diversity going on there.  I see garnet, mica, and both smoky and clear included quartz.  The pyramidal mineral is possibly magnetite. It looks like potentially hematite or rutile included in that last piece of quartz.  Great pictures by the way.

Scott

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

jentheartist
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Scott LaBorde wrote on Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:54am:
Those are some unusually large crystals you are finding.  Well done!  Great to see someone else checking construction sites for crystals as there is always so much opportunity.  Have you been able to find the source veins for these crystals or are you finding these randomly on the surface?

What are the "rules" for construction sites?  There are a couple around me that they are digging DEEP and I would LOVE to roam through them, but wasn't sure about the legality....
I know when I was metal detecting at the beach and such, finding someone to ask permission was always something that was needed to do or risk getting shot at...thoughts? 
The sites I am thinking about are commercial sites...
Thanks for any advice!

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Most large construction sites prefer that no one enters the property if they could help it. If possible you can ask workers permission to look for rocks, but many times their hands are tied and in order to not risk their jobs they must say no. That is why we search on Sundays.  There will be no workers driving heavy machinery that have the chance of injuring you. Unless there are "No trespassing" signs posted, in which case it's off limits, than it's much easier to ask forgiveness than permission assuming someone does confront you. I am pretty much never confronted, and when I have been they were perfectly fine with what I was doing when I explained. There has only ever been two places I have been where they didn't care what I was doing but didn't want me there because of liability issues. Be safe, be smart, and stay away from deep or high embankments, do not go underneath or near buildings under construction where things can fall on you, and surface collect only.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

jentheartist
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks Scott - so pretty similar to my metal detecting days Smiley

IP Logged

Rocky Raccoon
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
that is good to know, Scott, and I never thought about their being 'rules' for property under demolition (in other words, as long as there was no building going on, I didn't think it would be a problem).

But the site I've been going to, I was able to meet the real estate/broker/owner, and I did ask his permission to poke around (he didn't mind at all). I mentioned that if I arrived and found anyone working in the site, I would stay out of their way. Also, over the past few months, I was able to meet one of the surveyor and other guys involved, and I would explain to them what I was doing. The surveyor was able to tell me some of the history of the site, which was really nice to find out why they were doing what they were doing with regards to grading and moving earth around. They really didn't care that I was digging for rocks; in fact, I guess you could say I was doing them a favor by taking away rocks they'd have to remove anyway.... ha!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
That's how I like to look at it, "We're doing them a favor", and for free!
That's the ticket! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint