Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Dad Was A Rock Hound :) (Read 764 times)
1confusednewbie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

My Dad Was A Rock Hound :)
May 4th, 2016 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Hi everyone! Smiley I am here to identify some rocks that my dad collected many years ago. He had so much love and appreciation for rocks, gems, and minerals. He even bought land in California because of the huge outcroppings on the property. He was always digging somewhere Smiley He picked up many rocks on his travels, so I don't know locations where they were discovered. I will post them in the appropriate section, as I really would like to know what they are.

1confusednewbie

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Re: My Dad Was A Rock Hound :)
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2016 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Welcome 1confusednewbie.  Ironically, no matter how much we know we are always confused about something in geology or how something formed or ended up the way it is.  This mystery is part of the draw for us rockhounds.  In the quest to figure out the most basic things in geology you'll find more questions and more answers.  And soon you'll find that you'll be teaching others about it. Glad you're starting here, as I'm sure we'll have plenty of answers for you.  California is a wonderful place for rockhounds. Do you still have access to the land your dad purchased there?  Post up pictures of any rocks you have questions about and we'll do our best to identify them for you.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

1confusednewbie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Scott, and thank you Smiley Yes, we still have the land. The outcroppings are 20 feet high in some areas, just huge boulders jetting upwards through the earth. Any idea what type of rock those huge ones are? The land is in Southern California, in the eastern mountains at a 2,000 ft elevation.  The base of one of the tallest outcroppings on the property (pictured in my other post) almost looks like the covered up entrance to a mine, if you rolled one of the smaller round rocks out, which looks almost impossible to me. About 100 feet from the main outcroppings is a very small foundation (about the size of one room) where we just assumed another house had been over 100 years ago. Now I wonder if it was a mining camp, since it's so small to be a house.

Do you have any ideas on what the other rocks I posted are? My father found a lot of rocks in and near the Napa valley river, and also did a lot of searching in the streams of the Laguna mountains east of San Diego, along with the San Diego beaches. He was always searching in other states on business trips, but never out of the US. I would sure like to know what these are. I have others, but I didn't want to overload or take advantage Smiley

Any help would be appreciated.

1confusednewbie

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2016 at 8:32am
Print Post  
As with most place geology can become pretty complex under the surface.  Here's a quick reference and good read to get you started with understanding some of what's going on there:  http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/archive/socal/geology/geologic_history/index.html
Since you have mentioned that you were going to go visit the property very soon, please take some higher resolution pictures of those rocks.  Every detail down to the size and shape of the grain patterns on the rock can be helpful to identify them. If I were to guess I'd say those boulders were composed of granite but the pictures are a little blurry for me to tell for sure.  Granite is very resistant to erosion and weathering and is usually found as large outcrops or boulders as everything else erodes away around it.

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint