Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Please help me identify these beautiful rocks (Read 1786 times)
1confusednewbie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Please help me identify these beautiful rocks
May 4th, 2016 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Please help me identify these beautiful rocks and mysterious outcropping. If you look at the split rock in the outcropping that I zoomed in on, in the far right upper section of the giant rock, (which I would like to know what types of huge rocks these are), you will see a large glowing part of the rock. (Also, I would love to know why this glows) Directly underneath that glowing is something that either looks like skeletal remains, or some sort of artifact? If you haven't guessed by now, I'm no rock genius... My father was, and he's with God now Smiley

1confusednewbie

image.png ( 5733 KB | 112 Downloads )
image.png
image_001.png ( 5417 KB | 98 Downloads )
image_001.png
image_002.png ( 5541 KB | 114 Downloads )
image_002.png
image_053.jpeg ( 947 KB | 98 Downloads )
image_053.jpeg
image_054.jpeg ( 1018 KB | 100 Downloads )
image_054.jpeg
image_003.png ( 4966 KB | 97 Downloads )
image_003.png
image_004.png ( 4315 KB | 121 Downloads )
image_004.png
image_055.jpeg ( 840 KB | 104 Downloads )
image_055.jpeg

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Please help me identify these beautiful rocks
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2016 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Board, #1.
I'm sorry to hear about your father and understand your need to know what the rock "treasures" are that he collected.
I hope we can be of some help.
But I have to tell you, good pictures of the rock cobble, but I don't think you could find a more complicated rock to begin with.
Look at all the different things going on in that rock! Probably 10-15 different minerals.
It looks like an igneous breccia. You can look that up to start with but then you just start trying to identify each
individual piece in the mix. What are the white spots? the green spots? and so on.
It would be hard to tell when and how it was formed without know "where" it came from.
If you know where it came fom then it is much easier to find out what it is by looking up the USGS information on the area.
And locals may have a real easy name for it already, " Oh yeah, that's that Black Mixed-Up Granite stuff." Smiley
And maybe someone will recognize the material and chime in.
Same goes for your other pics of the large rocks.
Very cool looking rocks and it will be very interesting to figure out what they are made of and how they were formed.
To do that we need to know where they are. Northern California?
Any information about the source of these rocks is pretty critical.

Thanks for the pics,
Joe

IP Logged

1confusednewbie
YaBB Newbies

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Joe Smiley

Thank you for your response. My father found many rocks in and near the Napa valley river, and streams in the Laguna mountains in Southern California, as well as the San Diego beaches, and his own land (pictured with outcroppings) in the eastern hills of Southern California at elevation 2,000 ft. Does this help? I would really like to know what these are. Any idea what type of rock the large boulders are?

1confusednewbie

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2016 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Yes that helps a lot, #1.
Sounds like your Dad, like the typical rockhound, got around to all the hot rock spots out there. Good for him! Smiley
And, just so you understand a little about rockhounds, they also typically pick up and bring home for closer inspection
rocks that are just plain weird and defy all explanation. Wink

Anyway, I'm going to guess the cobble rock is a volcanic breccia from the Napa Valley area.
And I've seen something similar and will try and post some pics of a rock where the green clasts are jade.
Here's links to a couple pages for you to read while I look at eastern southern California about 2000 feet up.

http://mathsci.solano.edu/users/mfeighne/vol1.page3.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma_Volcanics

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint