Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lanzarote (Read 6934 times)
Dude

RockHoundLounger

Lanzarote
Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I’m back from the wonderful volcanic island so thought I’d share some picks.

My first impression was “wow, they are really embracing their rock” they not only use it for construction, but they also use it as decoration, you can’t go far before seeing a feature rock! Infact they are even in the airport! Now I thought this was fantastic- a nation of rock lovers, but apparently the truth is, you can’t move rock from your land!! If it’s there, you can move it around your land and do with it as you wish, but you can’t put it on someone else’s land!! So I like to think I helped them out a bit by sneaking some rock home!

They also have an abundance of olivine, which I believe is related to peridot... so I had to go looking for that, again, I didn’t need to go far as it’s hard to miss! Maybe not the best specamines but they are beautiful non the less! Apparently much of the olivine being sold locally is actually imported! The local stuff is too crumbly to do anything with, but I did buy some local- local rock, just to have a more prominent specemin to bring home. I do have another one that was given to me before I went, so I will show that for comparison too.

So I have a few pics of the landscape to show because we went on a tour of the volcanos... my expectations were way off (maybe I watch too much tv!) but it was incredible anyway. They are active volcanos and apparently without another eruption, the country will erode away completely in time... which doesn’t make the future look bright either way really! I would have asked them which they thought was better but it seemed a bit insensitive?

Anyway... it will take a while to get everything on here, so please excuse the constant “bumps”.

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Re: Lanzarote
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
General

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:20am
Print Post  
So unfortunately some of the good stuff I couldn’t get but I got to peak at lago verde (the green lake) which is on el golfo beach, went to jameos del agua, which has a wonderful pool of water in a cave, filled with white crabs- very peaceful down there, even when it’s busy!
Tried some local wine (very nice indeed and I don’t really like wine- it tasted like it was mixed with honey though!). The grapes are grown in little pits! Obveously growing things is a challenge in such a dry country, but they found that if they dig down a bit there is enough moisture.

Olivine I’ll come to later.

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
So walking around the beach, you would be hard pushed not to spot the green splodges of olivine, there are plenty of rocky areas on the beach, but also random rocks around in the sand too. Now I was looking closely at the sand thinking I might find smaller bits, it was only on the last day, with limited time, I found the place where I should be looking!! There are sheets of rougher areas, they seem gravely but when you look closely at those areas... hello sparkly green gems. So I kind of feel a little cheated finding that out on the last day... but I am very happy with my little green crystal!! The big one I found first and some of the weenie weenie ones I found in sand that I took home with me.

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Now here are the ones I brought home with me- they may be nothing special but they are to me!

The first one, to me is a perfect display piece as it just sits so perfectly, has a little olivine on, and just makes me think “I have a piece of lanzarote right here”

The next 4 I’m failing at showing a rather funky rock, it kind of looks like an eye to me.. a volcanic rock eye that’s hiding in a sand casing. I think it’s funky

The next 2 is another one I like for its funkiness! Both ends have a mix of colours, not sure what the red is about, but it’s quite common... I’m just hoping it’s nothing toxic!

Then my little triangle shape beauty! I love the olivine on this one, not too battered and worn away

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I had to include some classic bubble rock! This stuff is heavily used for walls around the island, yes you could say why not build with the more solid rock... but bubbles guys!!!  Cheesy and no they don’t call it bubble rock! Tbh what I love about it, is not only is it bubble rock... it’s volcanic bubble rock- these bubbles are kick ass, I was made in lava kind of bubbles (in my head anyway) and yes one has a couple of small pieces of olivine because it’s just EVERYWHERE!!!

Then we have another one that’s got olivine mixed in

Followed by some wonderful (to me) little naturally tumbled stones, the triangle one is my absolute fav... just because!

And another lovely smooth beauty

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I have lots of favourites but another one is this first one, a big smooth chunky one with some nice olivine

And I don’t even know what the next freaky thing is... fossilised Coral maybe?

Another smooth black one- just because!

IP Logged

Dude

RockHoundLounger

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
And lastly I have the purchased ones. Top 4 are one piece I got there, the next 2 I also got there (only 5 euro for both of them) quite crumbly but this makes me think it’s definately local. I actually got them in the winery!!

The last 3 (just noticed not the best pics) are a piece given to me- this is what made me want to go to lanzarote! But I do now think that this was imported... I could easily be wrong of course. Just it seems different to the olivine I saw there and my purchased ones

IP Logged

Scott LaBorde
RHL Administrator

"Rock it" science!

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Wow beautiful scenery.  You put a red filter on some of those shots and it would be indistinguishable from mars.  The olivine crystals were nice.  Thanks for sharing!

Scott LaBorde
RockHoundLounge Creator
IP Logged

Rebecca
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
WOW!!! Beautiful place and great pics! Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

JoeM
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Oh Good Gracious! That is the best field trip report ever!!!
Great pictures and great organization right from the start! The picture of the sea following a look from the ridge, your first two pics, is beautiful. As are many, but I love the crater picture after the picture with the bus in it. Great stuff!
I don't know what those goats find to eat out there!
And that's the way it always goes. You can dig and look and look and dig for three days and two hours before you have to start packing up to leave, you'll start finding it!
I have walked on the lava fields of Hawaii but I have never been anyplace like that! I need to do a little reading before asking a whole bunch of questions. Wink
Thank you for the pictures and great report, Dude! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint